Fargo Ratings thoughts

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How bout this? You have a core team of 5 very strong players on a team. Before league starts (BCA) they pick up 4 more guys on the roster. The 5 core guys are going to Vegas, the 4 they put on the roster before league started are not.

During the league year, the 4 picked up are constantly being rotated in so that only 1 or 2 of the core team plays each week. This allows the core 5 to get less wins, play less games, and keep their ratings at a much lower rate than if they had played like most teams, playing the core of the team most often, and only playing the alternates when needed.

When they go to Vegas, their true speed is much higher than their rating. For instance they may now stay in gold, where if they would have played all year together, their true ratings would have put them into platinum.

The other thing as I understand it, is that none of the scores from the BCA tourney last summer were put into the system. I don't understand why not, as this would truly give you an excellent idea of the true speed of most players. There ain't no sand bagging or alternating lesser players in for this thing.

A lot of effort for what guarantees and lack of fun.

Explain how playing less games means their true speed is higher than their ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
How bout this? You have a core team of 5 very strong players on a team. Before league starts (BCA) they pick up 4 more guys on the roster. The 5 core guys are going to Vegas, the 4 they put on the roster before league started are not.

During the league year, the 4 picked up are constantly being rotated in so that only 1 or 2 of the core team plays each week. This allows the core 5 to get less wins, play less games, and keep their ratings at a much lower rate than if they had played like most teams, playing the core of the team most often, and only playing the alternates when needed.

When they go to Vegas, their true speed is much higher than their rating. For instance they may now stay in gold, where if they would have played all year together, their true ratings would have put them into platinum.

The other thing as I understand it, is that none of the scores from the BCA tourney last summer were put into the system. I don't understand why not, as this would truly give you an excellent idea of the true speed of most players. There ain't no sand bagging or alternating lesser players in for this thing.

So they are gonna lose every week? Doesn't seem like a good plan to qualify for Vegas
Jason

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never claimed to be a naming expert at all. I'm just saying that the name seems like it applied to something that is proprietary to Fargo and as someone not from Fargo, I would assume people not from Fargo the first thing they thing of is the movie and the accents.

Now like I said, I'm not a naming expert by any sense of the word, but if I was naming something that is related to an activity, I would want the name of it to either be related to said activity or have no meaning at all attached to it. Frankly, I think putting the word "rate" in the name is a great idea, but the first half being named after a town that is no way a hub for pool/billiards is just odd to me. Here are 2 examples of what I am saying:

1. OBcues. To this day I still don't know what OB stands for but I know it is a brand that was created for pool products as that is now what I associate the letters OB with. In the case of Fargo, I still associate it with a town in ND and a very successful and brilliant movie. The letters OB could have no conotation with pool but they also had no connotation with anything else before coming to pool.

2. Not being a naming expert I'm going to come up with one off the top of my head that will help with what I was saying with linking it to said activity. BilliardRate. Now it is definitely not a gem or clever or anything else like that by any means, nor would I ever expect FargoRate to be renamed to this and I'm sure that when you were thinking of names for your rating system that BilliardRate was probably one of the ones you thought off using as it is completely unimaginative and uninventive... however... what I see the name the first thing I thing of is Pool/Billiards and that this thing rates things in that activity, whether it is items, players, whatever...

I'm not bashing your system. I find it interesting really. I just think if you want to be taken seriously all around you are goingto need to come up with a better name. Let's say ESPN were broadcasting pool (I know this is a stretch so far) and they wanted to talk about a players skill... do you think they would be more apt to use a name like "BilliardRate" or "FargoRate" when talking about an official pool player rating system.

I'm a regular poster at Jimbo's forum and I have given him shit for the name of the site there. Traffic is slow there, but with the name JimboArmy, no one thinks of it as a pool website at all.

I do get what you are saying as well as the counter arguments.
If the product works, it will grow into a well known association with the name.

The ESPN example is really profound in that it brings up the marketing aspect of anything that will be associated with a mass audience.

The last thing you want is to mention something on air which creates a question that requires precious airtime to answer. "Fargo rate" creates that question "why fargo" whereas, for example, "IBR" or "international billiard rating" keeps the discussion on topic of the number statistic not the name. Also, an acronym is always catchy in sports talk. The acronym for fargo rating would be FR. When someone asks what does that mean, the answer then leads to another question. The acronym IBR, when told what it stands for, is self explanatory.

The latest billiards digest has an impressive article on the IPT and Kevin Trudeau, which highlights how the number one priority was marketing, from the chosen game (8 ball which didn't require any explanation of rules or questions created) to the name and logo.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
The last thing you want is to mention something on air which creates a question that requires precious airtime to answer. "Fargo rate" creates that question "why fargo" whereas, for example, "IBR" or "international billiard rating" keeps the discussion on topic of the number statistic not the name. Also, an acronym is always catchy in sports talk. The acronym for fargo rating would be FR. When someone asks what does that mean, the answer then leads to another question. The acronym IBR, when told what it stands for, is self explanatory.

Precious air time? Are you sensationalizing this a bit? This isn't a football game. We are talking about pool. We have to pay people to fill the time with something because it's hard enough to watch on it's own. I don't think anyone is complaining when they have to be explained fargo rate for all of 13 seconds.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Precious air time? Are you sensationalizing this a bit? This isn't a football game. We are talking about pool. We have to pay people to fill the time with something because it's hard enough to watch on it's own. I don't think anyone is complaining when they have to be explained fargo rate for all of 13 seconds.

Haha touche - you have a point, maybe I was being a bit sensational (maybe more hopeful that pro pool could be there someday)
I was speaking in terms of how the executives view programmed air time. They want to see more Mitch Laurence mentioning a paid advertiser of some sort instead of explanations of what does fargo mean, or what is a push out.

In terms of marketing, you would have to agree, IBR is catchy?
Or IPR....whatever it is, it belongs up there with RBIs and QBR

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Haha touche - you have a point, maybe I was being a bit sensational (maybe more hopeful that pro pool could be there someday)
I was speaking in terms of how the executives view programmed air time. They want to see more Mitch Laurence mentioning a paid advertiser of some sort instead of explanations of what does fargo mean, or what is a push out.

In terms of marketing, you would have to agree, IBR is catchy?
Or IPR....whatever it is, it belongs up there with RBIs and QBR

IBR - explain that to me - ok it's international billiard rating - ok I understand what that is

FargoRate - explain that to me - ok it's a billiard rating system - ok I understand what that is

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IBR - explain that to me - ok it's international billiard rating - ok I understand what that is

FargoRate - explain that to me - ok it's a billiard rating system - ok I understand what that is

Reply to answer #1 "ok got it"
Reply to answer #2 "why is it called fargo?"

Hence the point of icon's point in this thread.

;)

Last edited:

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Reply to answer #1 "ok got it"
Reply to answer #2 "why is it called fargo?"

Hence the point of icon's point in this thread.

;)

Let me get this straight. You're saying a name is no good if people have to ask why it's named that? its subjective already whether someone is curious to name origins or not.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which match is it?

I have seen the odds of winning change but not the FargoRate.

I don't remember, I just picked one on the many on the page. It had Fargo at the bottom of the screen and a number for each player. After a game, the winners rating went up by a couple of points and the looser went down by a couple. If I remember right the ratings were close and around 160. I'll try to find one later.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok - here is an example of what I was talking about. At the bottom center is Fargo Rate and numbers (in this case in the 700's) for each player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZYVP_-XX2o

The FargoRate numbers do not change. What is changing is the calculated percentage chance of each player winning the match given the current score.

The FargoRates could be roughly recalculated after each game but they would usually move less than a point for a well-established player and to do a full calculation would not be possible.

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The FargoRate numbers do not change. What is changing is the calculated percentage chance of each player winning the match given the current score.

The FargoRates could be roughly recalculated after each game but they would usually move less than a point for a well-established player and to do a full calculation would not be possible.

Exactly. Thanks Bob

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I just went back and checked a few matches and the percentages are changing - the fargo rates remain constant. My bad. Thanks Bob.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don -- Your rating becomes better and better the more games it is based upon. When we corresponded a few weeks ago you had 80 games in the system. Now you have 90. So you are nearly halfway to being established, and all your games are from five months of league play. Here is our conversation with the names removed. Your 90 games are played at 391-speed. That is the level of performance. You also have a starter rating of 450. At this point each carries similar weight and the rating you see is 424.

Thanks to all for the replies, even though we got off subj a little.
Mike, thanks for your all of your replies. If you get a chance, can you tell us how to determine how many games we have in the system.

Thanks again Sedog