Looking for info on these cues!

noddynikki

My step father (who was very physically abusive to my mother) left these to me when he died years ago! I'm very emotional & didn't shed one tear! They've been sitting in my closet! Not sure if they're worth anything but figured I'd throw these pictures out there & get some info on them! I was told that one of them is made with real ivory but he lied a lot so........

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1586878651550.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586878651550.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,199
  • FB_IMG_1586878660527.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586878660527.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,221
  • FB_IMG_1586878667880.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586878667880.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • FB_IMG_1586878674097.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586878674097.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 1,145
  • FB_IMG_1586878680695.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586878680695.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,145

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HOLD ON TO THEM AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK.

They are worth MONEY...$$$$$$

Don't let anybody on here try to be your friend and rob you out of them.

I say again, DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SELL THEM.

The top cue is worth more than the bottom cue, but it is worth money, too.

I think your top cue may be the one on the far right in the photo below... Cue #11. The link below will take you to a thread with some Joss West cues.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6615449&postcount=5

This isn't your cue in the link below, but it is a Joss West and they are asking $3,500. Look around everywhere carefully before you get rid of your cues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Poo...674377?hash=item2d0869b7c9:g:ql4AAOSw4GdejW8u

Attachments

• jw.jpg
    jw.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,375
Last edited:

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes those cues are worth something.. The first one is a Joss West and is worth the most. Probably worth 3 to 4 times as much as the second one. The second one is a Joss (not a Joss West) and is the "Color of Money" model. It is a replica of the actual cue used in the movie The Color of Money. You should do your homework like somebody said.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
The Joss J18 you have is the first run, with the full butt cap, just like the movie model. Folks will pay pretty good money for that, in excess of $800 or so. The Joss West is worth a few thousand, it's a beauty...fairly high end even for a Bill Stroud cue. He had excellent taste in cues, and obviously took good care of them. I'd hang on to them, no need to sell, unless you're in a bind.......

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even the cue case appears to be one worth several hundred dollars. so your entire package there should have a market value in a range that certainly exceeds the $3,500 to $4,500 range- should also be higher , probably not lower than that. You would need someone who really know cues and cases to help you list these for sale on the internet; as they would need to be described in details that you are not presently familiar.

You could also do a cash in person sale, but either way, you need to find a trusted source to help you understand exactly what you have there and what a reasonable sales expectation would be today. If you do not have much experience selling items worth several thousand online; you should not try to do this alone, even after the research; first of all fees from selling on eBay can reach up to almost 14% total. Secondly, shipping of such items requires a certain amount of knowledge to ensure that you follow online rules for shipping, how to properly insure the items, and the proper packing and shipping methods to use.

First timers who try to sell items valued in the thousands within a niche area such as billiard items should get at least two completely independent advisorys as to current reasonably expected market value and method of sale - the difference between doing this right and doing it incorrectly could cost you hundreds to thousands in lost revenue.

If you have no true interest in billiard items and they have no sentimental value to you; I see no reason for you to hold on to the items. I personally do not believe that these items here would appreciate in value to a great degree above normal inflationary percentages- and a possible future lack of demand for billiard related items and its relatively small circle of young collectors could potentially result in some degree of reduced value- but certainly not in the near term- so no rush to sell, but perhaps no need to leave cash in a closet either- if you have no interest in them personally- why risk loss by theft, fire, etc? In order to insure them as a rider on your home or renters insurance policy will require you to pay for an appraisal and also cost you around $100 or more a year in extra insurance costs.

Finally, do not agree to mail these items to anyone for appraisal and sales advice. Seems like you do not have trusted friends in the billiard collection circles, so mailing them to a relatively unknown person for appraisal is packed with risk that often becomes reality. The collection circles in every area of collecting from paintings to anything you can imagine are all often beset with very unscrupulous characters that will pick your pockets at every turn.

You have a nice gem of a gift there- try to enjoy the whole process if you decide to sell - it can work out fine for you if you do it correctly.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
To be fair, the same model Josswest in ebony with more inlays and shafts, fully restored is sitting unsold at $2800 on Facebook

They are definitely worth money, find a friend who is good with eBay and list these for 99 cents for a 7-day auction, you'll get paid top dollar when you're ready to sell.

The cue market changes often and is getting worse every day. Congratulations on the cues and put these in front of the largest audience as "Vintage Josswest cue" and "Vintage Joss cue" - you'll have 200 people watching them and bidding

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like he wasn’t a nice guy. Burn them if you can’t do it send them to me I have a Little extra gas in the shed. But seriously those are nice.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
He is right. Being an armchair dealer, and actually selling things are different. Everyone who tells you a high number, can do so because they have nothing to lose and surely are not looking to expand those T-Rex arms and reach into their wallets. If you like to take them out of the case and look at them, list the JW at 3500 and the Joss at 1200.

Even though Bill Stroud recently passed, he built a hell of a lot of cues, and no they did not automatically increase by 2x their values. The JW will move at 2200-2500, and the Joss will move around 5-700. You can list them higher if you like to constantly bump your threads and look at them. Conditions that can't be seen from your photos are very important. Straightness being number 1, shaft diameters, and weights you should list accurately.

The only ivory I see are the ferrules on the JW.

But liquidate them expeditiously, if that is your plan.

JV

To be fair, the same model Josswest in ebony with more inlays and shafts, fully restored is sitting unsold at $2800 on Facebook

They are definitely worth money, find a friend who is good with eBay and list these for 99 cents for a 7-day auction, you'll get paid top dollar when you're ready to sell.

The cue market changes often and is getting worse every day. Congratulations on the cues and put these in front of the largest audience as "Vintage Josswest cue" and "Vintage Joss cue" - you'll have 200 people watching them and bidding

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Not sure if they're worth anything but figured I'd throw these pictures out there & get some info on them! I was told that one of them is made with real ivory but he lied a lot so........

These guys are steering you in the right direction.

Just to be clear, there is no ivory there except for possible the ferrules on the JW cue (the white tube behind the tip). You don't want ivory because it's banned and restricted. The inlays on both cues are mother of pearl, the arrows on the Joss N7 are a white wood, like holly.

The Joss West would likely have an auction value of $2200 - $2700. Yours is fancier than the one below that went for $2500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-West-cue/283803009778?hash=item4213fa42f2:g:1v0AAOSwzateXmJy

The Joss N7 would be around $700:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joss-N7-Co...321052?hash=item365df12e1c:g:xzgAAOSwAcheUqXM

Also, the case is probably worth something if you could show more photos. Sometimes the Joss cues came with a Fellini, but that case has a seam on the side, so it could be an older It's George with a Fellini style lock.

Ps. Was working on this before Joe posted same info above, LOL

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Welcome to AZB, Nikki.

You have come to the right place for accurate information on your cues and case. Many well informed individuals frequent these forums (so please don't let the juvenile, oversized, vibrant font scare you off).

We hope you settle on a fair arrangement to both yourself and the buyer(s) when the time comes.

Good luck.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd personally just say sell them. doesn't seem like good memories to have laying around.
Do you play pool yourself?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He is right. Being an armchair dealer, and actually selling things are different. Everyone who tells you a high number, can do so because they have nothing to lose and surely are not looking to expand those T-Rex arms and reach into their wallets. If you like to take them out of the case and look at them, list the JW at 3500 and the Joss at 1200.

Even though Bill Stroud recently passed, he built a hell of a lot of cues, and no they did not automatically increase by 2x their values. The JW will move at 2200-2500, and the Joss will move around 5-700. You can list them higher if you like to constantly bump your threads and look at them. Conditions that can't be seen from your photos are very important. Straightness being number 1, shaft diameters, and weights you should list accurately.

The only ivory I see are the ferrules on the JW.

But liquidate them expeditiously, if that is your plan.

JV

You are dead in line with what I thought they would actually sell for.

My step father (who was very physically abusive to my mother) left these to me when he died years ago! I'm very emotional & didn't shed one tear! They've been sitting in my closet! Not sure if they're worth anything but figured I'd throw these pictures out there & get some info on them! I was told that one of them is made with real ivory but he lied a lot so........

Very sorry to hear about your mother being abused by your step father (I know all about that, from personal experience, as a child).

Anyways, very beautiful cues that he left you. Sounds like he was a horrible person, but he had really great taste in cues. He must have been a player.

The Josswest, and the Joss N7 (from The Color of Money movie, that Tom Cruise played with in the movie) are so beautiful.

I see that must be an original Joss N7 too, I am guessing from the 80's, seeing that it has the Joss logo up in the joint collar.

The Josswest was made by Bill Stroud. Very beautiful, and high end cue. I see that it has Ebony, Mother of Pearl inlays, and Rosewood (or maybe Purpleheart?) in it, but I do not see any Ivory.

I really love that Joss N7 cue. Very beautiful Birds Eye Maple in the forearm, and just a classic looking Bushka style cue. That is a really beautiful cue. Dan Janes of Joss cues should have made the points and veneers sharp though, instead of rounded off.

Anyways, very beautiful cues, that are very valuable, and collectible.

I know all these other guys know a lot more about the cues then I do though.

I hope you get a really great price out of them.

If I were you, and if I knew nothing about how to get the specs, then I would take them to a local cue maker or cue repair shop, and ask a cue maker or repair person to check them out for you. Turn them on a lathe, to check for straightness, and have the person get all the measurements and weights of everything for you, and list them up for sale yourself.

That would be much cheaper then paying someone a % (of the final sale) to have them sell them for you.

Good luck. Hope you get a really good price out of them, which you should.

Last edited: