Inspired By The "What Youngsters Want Old Masters Cues?" Thread...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
By no means am I a youngster or even remotely close but when reading the above titled thread recently I got to thinking about the old masters and collecting.

I managed to acquire a fair number of very interesting cues over the years and have always been intrigued by the work of these "old masters". I thoroughly enjoy playing with a wide cross-section of cues appreciating the nuance and varying characteristics these cues have to offer. Some you can almost tell blindfolded who made them like so many of us 'oldsters' could tell the sound of a Mopar slant-six engine coming up on us without ever having to see it, sounding like an old Singer treadle sewing machine. :smile:

So, mixed into my collection are a couple of nice Bushkas, one representing GB's very early work (late 50's or very early 60's) with a titlist front and a very appealing (at least to me) swirly green plastic adorned and colorfully veneered buttsleeve. The other Bushka is an ebony ultra classic with the obligatory MOP notched diamonds and dots. What a sweet cue!

Back to the purpose of this thread:

While reading the "Youngsters/Masters" thread I was thinking a lot about how impressed I've always been over the amazing quality achieved by the true masters and George and Gus in particular. The hit, playability and craftsmanship on many of their cues are nothing short of amazing. At the same time this thread was running there happened to be a monster Bushka for sale and I couldn't help but to think how nice this would be to have as my new bar player. :groucho: :yikes: :groucho: j/k Long story slightly shorter, I took the Nestea plunge and couldn't be happier. :cool: This is a true collection centerpiece quality cue. Thanks Ken for making our transaction such a pleasure and thanks skins for getting me thinking about it.

To all of you "youngsters" out there, I know these master cues can be very expensive to own but I sincerely hope that at least there's an appreciation for what they are and how incredibly ahead of their time these guys were. It's astonishing to me. If you get a chance to hit a few balls with one, please do. ;) Of course, I know you can play high level pool with a $300 production cue but there really is something magical about these.

If you ever run into me and I have one with me and you're under 35, I'll let you hit a few with mine. :D

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Bushka-Glitter-full.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-full.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 497
  • Bushka-Glitter-pin.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-pin.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 483
  • Bushka-Glitter-bushka-ring2.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-bushka-ring2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 492
  • Bushka-Glitter-buttsleeve2.jpg
    Bushka-Glitter-buttsleeve2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 493
  • Bushka-Green-full.jpg
    Bushka-Green-full.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 495

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
a few pics of the other two mentioned.....

Attachments

• Bushka-Green-buttsleeve-lg.jpg
    Bushka-Green-buttsleeve-lg.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 489
  • Bushka-full-w-case.jpg
    Bushka-full-w-case.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 484
  • Bushka-forearm.jpg
    Bushka-forearm.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 490
  • Bushka-buttsleeve-ferrules.jpg
    Bushka-buttsleeve-ferrules.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’d like to hit with the Titlist GB, Brian
...hey, I’m under 35 stone

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Wanted to buy that top cue so bad. Keeping the cash was the smarter play.....I think
Jason

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful.... one day I will be able to get my son a special cue from back in the day.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
That newer Bushka is incredible. One of the more fancy.

Minus the MOP dots in the points, it is close to the spitting image of Mosconi's backup Bushka, that he never used, according to both Willie and Charlie Ursitti.

The dimensions of the points suggest a Spaiin blank. And, strange as well. That outer green is way thinner than the others, and seems to be surrounded by very thin separate black veneers. Also, looks like this cue has had a restoration at some point. Hope it was Pete?

All in all, a very unusual cue. And a beautiful cue at that.

All the best,
WW

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DID YOU GET ALL OF THE SHAFTS THAT WERE LISTED WITH IT

THEY WERE NOT NECESSARY BUT THEY ADDED TO IT

tHIS fANCY bALABUSHKA IS ONE OF THE VERY NICEST

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That newer Bushka is incredible. One of the more fancy.

Minus the MOP dots in the points, it is close to the spitting image of Mosconi's backup Bushka, that he never used, according to both Willie and Charlie Ursitti.

The dimensions of the points suggest a Spaiin blank. And, strange as well. That outer green is way thinner than the others, and seems to be surrounded by very thin separate black veneers. Also, looks like this cue has had a restoration at some point. Hope it was Pete?

All in all, a very unusual cue. And a beautiful cue at that.

All the best,
WW

The green veneer is the same size. Just the glue saturation at the edges that discolored the edges. I've seen that before.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The green veneer is the same size. Just the glue saturation at the edges that discolored the edges. I've seen that before.

Glue saturation, very even, but only on the outer veneer? Not the inner veneers? :cool:

All the best,
H

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Glue saturation, very even, but only on the outer veneer? Not the inner veneers? :cool:

All the best,
H

Yep............

I guess it's possible it could be the veneer itself that has deeper dye on the edges....

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Congratulations!

I am under 2 x 35 and have never played with a Balabushka before. Can I play with it twice?

Last edited: