Pool Cue Case

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey All....

Looking for recommendations on cue cases. I have an Action 2x4 right now and I've out-grown it. Been poking around a lot of websites trying to figure out what a good case is. I'm thinking I need a 4x8 case at least. I don't really want to stay with the vinyl cases, cause I started a collection, so really looking for something more up-scale.

Anyone out there can recommend a good case? Maybe custom has it's advantages? Who is a good custom maker? Wouldn't mind a leather case with snake skin pockets, or other exotic skin, but not incredibly into all the fancy tooling and stuff cause you can't really tell how it will look when you can only see swatches of it.

Ideas gents and ladies? Case makers? Trying to keep it real with prices.... I can't justify spending a huge amount of money on a case, I'd rather upgrade a cue..... know what I mean?

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for recommendations on cue cases. I have an Action 2x4 right now and I've out-grown it. Been poking around a lot of websites trying to figure out what a good case is. I'm thinking I need a 4x8 case at least. I don't really want to stay with the vinyl cases, cause I started a collection, so really looking for something more up-scale.

Is there a particular reason why you want to have a 4x8 case? Is this so that you can bring other cues in your collection to the pool hall? I would recommend a Whitten 3x6 case, they are relatively affordable. I've seen some around the $300 range and the quality is top notch.

Anyone out there can recommend a good case? Maybe custom has it's advantages? Who is a good custom maker? Wouldn't mind a leather case with snake skin pockets, or other exotic skin, but not incredibly into all the fancy tooling and stuff cause you can't really tell how it will look when you can only see swatches of it.

Everyone has their preferences. I, myself, am a fan of It's George and Ron Thomas cases. For what you're looking for, definitely consider checking out Whitten. They do have a new 6x12 pro lite. Also nice about the Whitten cases is that when you have 3x6 or large, they stand on their own. Also consider OnQ cases if you like that style.

As mentioned earlier, John Barton does make some great cases.

Ideas gents and ladies? Case makers? Trying to keep it real with prices.... I can't justify spending a huge amount of money on a case, I'd rather upgrade a cue..... know what I mean?

Price range will vary. Expect to pay $300+ for a quality 3x6. Remember, you are spending thousands of dollars on cues, why go cheap on the cases? Quality protection for your expensive collection is money well spent! Try reading some of the recent cue case forum threads that talked about cases damaging cues. It'll shed some light on the perspective of cue protection.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 4x8 case would let me bring a few cues to the pool hall, in case I didn't like the feel of one, I could take out another (Yes I do like a little variety). But also depending where I go, I could have cheaper cues, or if I go to my normal place, I could bring my better equipment with me.

I've looked at different cases, and I like the style of the Whitten cases, and OnQ cases with the flip top. Once I get up in number of cues, absolutly, I would have a case to keep them all at home, and take one with a lower capacity with me to the pool hall. I will read in the cue case forum, and see what is the general consensus about the different cases, and make a much more informed decision based on the consensus of who offers the best in protection of the cues inside the case.

But as far as the insides go, are the cases with the tubes or with out the tubes (flexible dividers) better? I will also look up John Barton.

Thank you all for your input and Cocobolo for the website.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I beg to differ. It really depends on what you consider "the best". People have different ideas of what makes up "the best" and I happen to feel that our interiors are much much more protective than Whitten's Lite models are.

I have no problem however recommending Whitten as a top case and one which I would be proud to own.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I beg to differ. It really depends on what you consider "the best". People have different ideas of what makes up "the best" and I happen to feel that our interiors are much much more protective than Whitten's Lite models are.

I have no problem however recommending Whitten as a top case and one which I would be proud to own.

John... If I were to buy a 4X8 it would definitely be between one of yours and a Whitten. I have never owned one of your cases so I can only assume its quality. I do have a Whitten and it is the best made case I have ever owned.

I also would not order a "Whitten Lite" because I like the way mine feels like a tank and it's not too heavy for me anyway.

I would have posted a link to a regular Whitten 4X8 but the Lite model was the only one I could find.

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Whitten even make regular case or only the "light" version of it?

John... If I were to buy a 4X8 it would definitely be between one of yours and a Whitten. I have never owned one of your cases so I can only assume its quality. I do have a Whitten and it is the best made case I have ever owned.

I also would not order a "Whitten Lite" because I like the way mine feels like a tank and it's not too heavy for me anyway.

I would have posted a link to a regular Whitten 4X8 but the Lite model was the only one I could find.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hey All....

I think that you will find that for $475 you have a major amount of choices in a JB Custom Case. I know that some have already pointed you in our direction so please feel free to let me know of any questions you have.

One thing you should be aware of though is that we are s l o w - right now I am backed up and we are behind in getting cases out. You are looking at 12 weeks at least from confirmed order to delivery.

As for Protection - you can read my thoughts here on that subject - www.jbcases.com/protection.html

calboy8686

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can wait the time it takes for a case to be built. Time is really not my concern, I'm more concerned with the materials used, and more important, the protection it offers. I didn't post this thread to create a "pissing contest" between different makers.... I did it more for a consensus on who offers the best level of protection for the money. Looks are purely esthetic to me..... If money was no object, I would have one made out of Alligator skin, but come one.... how many people can afford something like that. I'm more after something that looks elegant, but has superior protection. After all, cues are investments as well as tools with which to play the game. The outside of the case, doesn't make much of a difference who's name it has attached to it. It would almost be like buying Louis Vouton vs. Cartier vs. Dupont vs. Macy's or even Target for that matter.

The point is, this is really about the construction of the case and the protection it offers. Bottom line any way you look at it.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I can wait the time it takes for a case to be built. Time is really not my concern, I'm more concerned with the materials used, and more important, the protection it offers. I didn't post this thread to create a "pissing contest" between different makers.... I did it more for a consensus on who offers the best level of protection for the money. Looks are purely esthetic to me..... If money was no object, I would have one made out of Alligator skin, but come one.... how many people can afford something like that. I'm more after something that looks elegant, but has superior protection. After all, cues are investments as well as tools with which to play the game. The outside of the case, doesn't make much of a difference who's name it has attached to it. It would almost be like buying Louis Vouton vs. Cartier vs. Dupont vs. Macy's or even Target for that matter.

The point is, this is really about the construction of the case and the protection it offers. Bottom line any way you look at it.

"Fast Eddie, you talk my kinda talk" - Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason) in The Hustler.