Great Prospects for Mosconi

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If America plays as well at Mosconi as they have this week, they have a very very strong chance to repeat as Mosconi winners.

All have performed extremely well.

Discuss.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this thread was to signal this Willie Mosconi guy has a good chance of making a name for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, tyler probably booked his place. i didn't get to see max or corey play. how did they do?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, tyler probably booked his place. i didn't get to see max or corey play. how did they do?
All made it through to final stage except Corey. Only reason he didn’t was losing to Billy hill-hill in final match before last stage. Max looked good!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If America plays as well at Mosconi as they have this week, they have a very very strong chance to repeat as Mosconi winners.

Discuss.

Not crystal clear that you're right.

Top ten European David Alcaide beat Shane twice. Top ten Europeans Fedor Gorst and Niels Feijen both beat Sky Woodward. Fedor Gorst also beat Corey Deuel easily. Max Eberle played respectably throughout.

Billy Thorpe's convincing win over top ten European Alex Kazakis was a bright spot for sure. and Tyler Styer, of course, has played well, although he hasn't beaten any of the most elite Europeans -- he'll have a chance to change this in tomorrow's final.

I just don't see why these performances make you more confident about the upcoming Mosconi.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems strange to me that Eberle has been given a chance to make the team. He is a solid pro, but there are many American players that would be favored to beat him that aren’t being considered

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not crystal clear that you're right.

Top ten European David Alcaide beat Shane twice. Top ten Europeans Fedor Gorst and Niels Feijen both beat Sky Woodward. Fedor Gorst also beat Corey Deuel easily. Max Eberle played respectably throughout.

Billy Thorpe's convincing win over top ten European Alex Kazakis was a bright spot for sure. and Tyler Styer, of course, has played well, although he hasn't beaten any of the most elite Europeans -- he'll have a chance to change this in tomorrow's final.

I just don't see why these performances make you more confident about the upcoming Mosconi.
How about now, Stu? :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tyler...played last year as a rookie...
...plays this year as a champion...:bow-down:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congrats to Tyler, who scored a great victory at the Kremlin Cup while I was sleeping.

He'll be a very solid member of Team USA a couple of months from now. Much credit to Johan and Jeremy for helping to mold this rising young talent and wishing him continued success.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that. However, I think Bergman is the better player overall. In fact, there are at least 10 US players that are likely strong favorites against Eberle in 9 ball
I’m not prepared to question the selection method of Johann/Jeremy. They won with Tyler on the team last year...without those 10 better players

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I understand that. However, I think Bergman is the better player overall. In fact, there are at least 10 US players that are likely strong favorites against Eberle in 9 ball

Yes, but at long last, the selection methodology is entirely performance based.

SVB and Skyler were named to the team early, with both having had good Mosconi campaigns in 2018 and Skyler winning the Derby City 9-ball over a field of 400 players.

Other members of the winning 2018 Team USA, Thorpe, Styer, and Deuel were not assured their spots, only an opportunity to regain their spots.

Several others were given the opportunity to move into contention for a spot by playing in a mini-tournament set up by Johan. Among them were Eberle and Bergman, but it was Eberle who won the event.

Bergman had his opportunity but didn't perform well enough to capitalize on it.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Discuss.

Great thread, and I agree 100 percent.

One stumbling block we have here in USA is that our lot of existing pros continues to dwindle, especially the young new kids on the block, with the strong exception, of course, of Tyler.

Compared to Europe, USA now has a deficit of professional-caliber players. But Europe is a continent, and USA is one country in the continent of North America.

It is a shame that the North American governing body of professional pool, the Billiard Congress of America (BCA), does not do more, but they are an industry member group now that doesn't seem to contribute much by way of professional pool as other continents.

Way back when, they used to have the BCA Open in Vegas, which was really an invitational, 50 percent Americans and 50 percent others. But that vanished, almost as fast as they sold the BCA league to Mark Griffin, which is now a private entity run by a great man, which is great for recreational pool, but it does not do much for professional pool and drawing in new blood.

Anyway, I guess this is a round-about way of saying USA is limited on its choices for Mosconi Cup, but the ones that did practice under the tutelage of Johann and Jeremy are shining brightly. USA, ALL THE WAY!