Which Kamui Black tip should I try first?

Which Kamui Black grade should I go with?

• Super Soft

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Soft

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Medium

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Hard

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

California Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really confused by the fact that people seem to love the super soft model. This goes against what I usually hear that medium or hard tips are the way to go. It seems like that would be a lot of maintenance with mushrooming and whatnot...

Can anyone that has tried the different grades comment on this? Even if you have only tried one, it would be really helpful if you let me know which one, and how you like it. I do not have a lot of money to throw around, so I will be stuck with my decision for a while. Thanks!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've been very pleased with the Soft that came standard on my Players HXTE10. I've played with it every day for over a year. No mushrooming (of course, no breaking either). After a couple of months it seemed to glaze over quickly but a quick reshape with 4EverTool solved that; no problem with glazing since then.

AZers say it plays more like a medium. I wouldn't know since I don't have a lot of experience with other tips.

If the budget is tight (mine is too) maybe look at alternatives like ultraskins, etc.

Espartaco_7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am really confused by the fact that people seem to love the super soft model. This goes against what I usually hear that medium or hard tips are the way to go. It seems like that would be a lot of maintenance with mushrooming and whatnot...

Can anyone that has tried the different grades comment on this? Even if you have only tried one, it would be really helpful if you let me know which one, and how you like it. I do not have a lot of money to throw around, so I will be stuck with my decision for a while. Thanks!

The supersoft will be a soft for a couple of days, after more or less 20 hours of playing it will become medium, and when the tips it´s at 1/3 it´s life will become medium/hard.

Kamuis are really good tips, believe it or not they worth the price.

I don´t know if this is ethical or not, but I really don´t care, if I was in your situation I´d like someone to tell me what I´m telling you now, please contact Tom Hay and give the Ultraskin Layered a try. I´ve played with a soft one for about 30 hours and I´m amazed with the quality of the tip, no mushrooming, no glazing, no overhardening, excellent grip on the cueball, and it seems will stay that way for a long time.

Anyway, if you think Kamui is the way to go... go that way. As a personal opinion, I found the brown one to be more consistent in performance than the black ones, the cons is that they tend to mushroom more, but they don´t get so hard after use and grips the cueball a lot better. Just MHO.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui tips play harder than other tips. The scale is different. So whatever you like in another brand, go 1 or 2 levels softer for Kamui. Don't worry about mushrooming; it won't happen.

I've also heard that the new Kamui clear plays even harder than the regular Kamui.

Edited to add: My completely subjective opinion, after trying a Kamui, is that I preferred other brands. I had a soft Kamui for a little while and thought it played more like a hard in other brands. Didn't like the feel. And it's expensive. If money is an issue, try Ultraskin or Milk Duds. You'll get a quality tip for literally a fraction of the price, and if you don't like it, you haven't spent all that much.

That said, a lot of players swear by Kamui. I was talking to Mika last night and he raved about the new Kamui clear. To each his own.

Last edited:

jonesy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Kamui Med on my cue. It plays great. I think next time I may try a Hard though. I like a hard tip.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the kamui hardness ratings are totally off IMO. their soft is like most people's medium, i'd start there and adjust up or down as needed. I do like hard tips, but their medium is too hard for me, wish there was something in between. their super softs aren't really that soft, i'd say it feels more like a medium soft.

italbomber

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a kamui soft on my 314 2 shaft and I love it. I was the biggest fan of the moori medium and would still recommend it but I feel I get more grip on the cue then the moori. I can also say the feel when the tip strikes the cue is much more natural. Not a thud but more of the tip welcoming the ball and sending on its way. :good:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a kamui black soft on my 314. I couldn't roll balls accurately and really had problems with soft shots. Don't know why but I did. Switched to a kamui black hard and everything is perfect. I tried a kamui black med for a couple shots with a friends cue but didn't like it. The person who put my hard tip on said people break with them but I feel I play pretty good with the hard.

Sniper 55

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Players HXT Shaft came with a Kamui Soft on it,, I Love it,, Low maintenance hits very nice when I 1st got it, it hit Soft/Slow After a couple weeks it starts to hit like a medium tip this happens with all Tips, at least for me but all in all Awesome Cue Tip and Shaft I Bought my Players HXT Shaft off Ebay New for $48 Free Shipping I Would say its a Great entry Level Low Deflection Shaft

On a Side Note tho Be careful Where you Buy the Tips From because there are a lot of Fakes on the Market Soo Buy from a Reputable Dealer Like SeyBerts.com or OzoneBilliards.com and use there Promo Codes and SAve money

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I was told that the Blacks are better for higher humidity & the Browns for more normal humidity.

I have always played a soft tip & a got an OB Classic in June with a black SS. It was TOO soft at frist. The ball was 'sticking' to it. As advised I took 4 layers off of it & it became playable. It has been find since then.

Good Luck with whatever you decide,

okrad1337

Registered
I have a medium black, it's really good, imo better than moori medium i had on before that..

only thing is it turns into hard about half way into the tip, and now it's even harder...but it still offers great playability, only it's not that consistent as it wears off..

bottom line is..it's good, i recommend it..

Kamuitipsdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,
The Kamui brand of tips are humidity resistant. This was the first virtue we wanted to achieve with our original tips 6+years ago.
Starting off with the Black or Brown soft is a good start to see if you like it or to go harder or softer. You might have a friend in the pool hall with a Kamui soft. Be sure if you test somone's tip on their cue that it have substantial amount of tip on the cue.. If the tip is too close to the ferrule, well it will throw you off as a medium or a hard tip... depending on how much the lower layers have soaked up glue on installation.
Good luck!

I was told that the Blacks are better for higher humidity & the Browns for more normal humidity.

I have always played a soft tip & a got an OB Classic in June with a black SS. It was TOO soft at frist. The ball was 'sticking' to it. As advised I took 4 layers off of it & it became playable. It has been find since then.

Good Luck with whatever you decide,

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I'm on my second Kamui Black Soft and have a Kamui Brown Soft on one of my other shafts. I love the Black Soft, it lasts a long time (8 months so far and LOTS of life left). The Kamui Brown is awesome, but it did mushroom just a tad. The Black Soft didn't. Black Soft has a little more grip to it, but seems to have become a medium/medium-hard over the past 8 months. Perfect. Make sure you get a good tip guy that knows what he's doing, though...some prep work is required to make sure the Black doesn't soak up all the glue and then pop off on you down the road. I've got a great repair guy that does it right, I've had zero problems.

California Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,
The Kamui brand of tips are humidity resistant. This was the first virtue we wanted to achieve with our original tips 6+years ago.
Starting off with the Black or Brown soft is a good start to see if you like it or to go harder or softer. You might have a friend in the pool hall with a Kamui soft. Be sure if you test somone's tip on their cue that it have substantial amount of tip on the cue.. If the tip is too close to the ferrule, well it will throw you off as a medium or a hard tip... depending on how much the lower layers have soaked up glue on installation.
Good luck!

Thank you all for your responses! I think I will take your advice and go for the soft grade.

taemin952

XiaoTing Pan's Soulmate
Silver Member
I only use Kamui Blacks and I voted Soft. Medium Kamui Black is like HARD of another brand. I always go super soft, to even get to soft.