View Single Post
Old
  (#3)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-27-2019, 06:05 AM

I've had a bad experience or two on shimmed tables playing one pocket. The shims can be as problematic as anything. I wouldn't change the pockets if they are pocketing correctly and accepting balls well. You might make the table aggravating to play on because the shim material changes the way it pockets not so much that you have to tighten up your shot making ability. You want to have fun and improve your overall game in how you move and your cue ball control. That's my opinion. A shimmed table for One Pocket can make for a long grinding game that goes on for way longer than it should under half way normal conditions. I'd as soon both players had equal chances to pocket balls than count on more chances because of jacked up equipment where each pocket may play differently.The applications for 9 ball and 8 ball can be similar. If you want to hone your shot making skills buy some pocket reducers. You can take them out when you want to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
If you get the installer to shim those pockets up to 4 1/4 inches all the way around, including the sides, you will have a great tool to rehearse on. When you get into competition it will be a cakewalk.
It costs a little more to have it done and if the installers haven't been around for a while they will whine and moan..........but it can be done quite easily.
I have two tables...a 9 foot Gandy shimmed up to 4 1/4 all over and also one of the old 7 foot Valleys with the coin operating system ripped out that I picked up cheap from a beer joint that went busted. I had a well known installer put some kind of different rails on that valley that he recommended and triple shimmed the pockets. (side pockets too....don't neglect the sides)
Get cheap slow cloth. Then if you ever get on the good Simonis stuff, you will just sail through the games.
If you're serious about your game, that 8 foot Valley Predator, properly installed for brutal sweat filled workouts, will get you to where you'd like to be.
It won't hold heavy resale value like a Diamond or Brunswick or Olhausen, but we can't have everything, you know. If you want a sweat box for torturous, serious, training...this is a good way to go without spending an arm and a leg.
Sic 'em!

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Last edited by 336Robin; 05-27-2019 at 06:12 AM.