How to remove apron trim on gold crown 3

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know how to remove the Apron trim on gold crown 3’s? I thought you could hammer them with a flat head to have them slide out but I almost seems like they were just pressed into the wood and they have teeth to where they can’t really pull back out of the channel there in.

My other option is to just buff them out somehow as the nickel coating is wearing off.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Hi,
I had the same problem on a GC.
I thought they would just slide out but they are pinned in.
I couldn't believe how small the pins are.
I filed them down then slided the trim out.
Maybe someone can post another way other then the way I did.
Here's a pic

Attachments

• 20190825_155634~01[1].jpg
    20190825_155634~01[1].jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 235

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
It is a royal pain in the butt to get those out! I use several diff tools to remove the "brads" the shot into the wood and through the anchor of the trim. The worst idea EVER for a rail trim, but, they come out and look good when refinished. Good luck to ya!

Trent from Toledo

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I had the same problem on a GC.
I thought they would just slide out but they are pinned in.
I couldn't believe how small the pins are.
I filed them down then slided the trim out.
Maybe someone can post another way other then the way I did.
Here's a pic

Wow so there’s actually little pins that are holding this trim in? How can you even get to them to file them down? They seem to be so tight into the wood.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Wow so there’s actually little pins that are holding this trim in? How can you even get to them to file them down? They seem to be so tight into the wood.

The pins are from a pin nailer. If you use a block of hardwood as a buffer, you can knock the trim off, sliding it to the end of the rail and off, pulling the pins with it.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
The pins are from a pin nailer. If you use a block of hardwood as a buffer, you can knock the trim off, sliding it to the end of the rail and off, pulling the pins with it.

What happens to the pins that went through the aluminum anchor inside the rail ?? I have found no easy way to get them out, but, at least I have a method that works and is not insanely terrible to achieve.

Trent from Toledo

p.s. I have no idea what the person is talking about "filing" them out.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums&ref=page_internal

realkingcobra

Silver Member

realkingcobra

Silver Member

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have tried what you are sayin and no luck with out terribly damaging the wood / slot the anchor for the trim piece mounts into.

I have 8 more 9'GC3's I am restoring for MissCue North here in Toledo. I will experiment more I guess and report my findings.

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have tried what you are sayin and no luck with out terribly damaging the wood / slot the anchor for the trim piece mounts into.

I have 8 more 9'GC3's I am restoring for MissCue North here in Toledo. I will experiment more I guess and report my findings.

Trent from Toledo
Do it anyway you want, I just told you how I removed the trim.

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo
One unrelated question. On the top of the rails of these GC’s it seems to have a gel coat over wood or Formica, can this be wet sanded to remove scratches? I have one scratch I need to clean up that’s about two feet long.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think Jack Z. polishes them a bit to clean them up. I am pretty sure he said to not go to far or you will buff off the simulated woodgrain finish. Maybe he will chime in!

Trent from Toledo

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Those can be a real fun task to get out especially when they are bent... it looks as if they took pin nails and cut them down and had to of used a power nailer to shoot them in because they bent as they were going in or some seem to just barely penetrate the trim and get cobbled up...some rails you can knock the trim loose and some don’t want to budge.... some can be removed easier than others.. there is many thousands of GC3’s out there for you to sharpen your skills on.
Go get em’

Rob.M

Attachments

• 08D6D72B-341A-4B95-BE6C-4A984324895D.jpg
    08D6D72B-341A-4B95-BE6C-4A984324895D.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 198

I miss alot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those can be a real fun task to get out especially when they are bent... it looks as if they took pin nails and cut them down and had to of used a power nailer to shoot them in because they bent as they were going in or some seem to just barely penetrate the trim and get cobbled up...some rails you can knock the trim loose and some don’t want to budge.... some can be removed easier than others.. there is many thousands of GC3’s out there for you to sharpen your skills on.
Go get em’

Rob.M
I came up with a better idea that looks very good. I'm in the process of refinishing a Gold Crown 3 and I took all the metal components to a powder coat place to have them done in gloss black, 12 pieces for only $125 bucks, this included all castings, ball grill, Brunswick emblem, and the four feet. Great deal for sure. So when it comes to the trim... I walked over to a Vinyl wrap shop and spoke to a guy that could wrap the trim on each rail for a total cost of $245. It is the thicker more durable type and it hide every scratch and looked very good, they come in just about any color or texture. You could do gold or chrome and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference and this way you don't have to tear up all the wood and the headache of messing with it. To each is own but after we laid a piece on there as an example I was sold on it. Ill post pics as I get further along in this project. I also want to do the leveling myself and have some question on that but will post a new thread for it.