Help With Dating / Value of This Ginacue

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were cue balls some kind of phenolic/plastic when he used one for a ring, or were they ivory? I know billiard balls were ivory once, but not sure about pool...

Anyway, thanks for the pics of another part of history.

td

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Were cue balls some kind of phenolic/plastic when he used one for a ring, or were they ivory? I know billiard balls were ivory once, but not sure about pool...

Anyway, thanks for the pics of another part of history.

td

I don't think I ever saw an ivory cue ball, except for the larger ones used in Billiards. I do know that Ernie was always in the market for these balls and I sold him a couple a long, long time ago.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Don't restore it. The 'ol car saying " its only original once" rings true here.

You couldn’t be more right

Restoring this cue makes is a old “new” cue. Absolute mistake.

It’s about as old as Gina cue gets.
Nice pole congrats

Best,
Fatboy

barrymore

Registered
I know exactly when the Milne cue was made! I ordered it from Ernie in 1966. I owned Mothers
Family Billiards in Sherman Oaks,Ca and ordered the cue for a friend /customer Darryl Milne. In those years Ernies shop was a couple of blocks from the pool room. That was the start of a 50Plus year relationship with Ernie that has continued to this day. In fact I worked with Ernie for short period and was lucky to learn many things about making pool cues. He was a great teacher!! I use that knowledge today making pool cues for select friends AND CUSTOMER. Great fun and very rewarding experience. Shoot Pool Not People !! was our slogan and still is.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
barrymore...Not doubting you sir, but Ernie himself, after checking out the cue, said it was one of the first 10 cues he ever made, and was made in '63, rather than '66. Why do you suppose that is?

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I know exactly when the Milne cue was made! I ordered it from Ernie in 1966. I owned Mothers
Family Billiards in Sherman Oaks,Ca and ordered the cue for a friend /customer Darryl Milne. In those years Ernies shop was a couple of blocks from the pool room. That was the start of a 50Plus year relationship with Ernie that has continued to this day. In fact I worked with Ernie for short period and was lucky to learn many things about making pool cues. He was a great teacher!! I use that knowledge today making pool cues for select friends AND CUSTOMER. Great fun and very rewarding experience. Shoot Pool Not People !! was our slogan and still is.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
barrymore...Not doubting you sir, but Ernie himself, after checking out the cue, said it was one of the first 10 cues he ever made, and was made in '63, rather than '66. Why do you suppose that is?

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

He also said he can't remember what he ate for breakfast that day....I just hope to

remember what I did 60+ years ago, or 57, or even 5...After so many cues, I am sure

they run together, Barrymore has the year he bought a pool hall, and knows the person

on the cue...Not saying neither is wrong, they are both probably right...The 60's.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s still really cool to see one of the first cues made by Ernie
still in great shape and playing well
Can’t wait to see before and after pics after the “touch up”