Best Dr. Dave Videos / Video sets for newbies?

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen Briesath’s videos - several times. They’re gems and I’ll watch them again no doubt. I’ve got Poolology, but I feel like I need more visualization and foundational understanding before I can really pull from it just yet.

Dr. Dave appears to go pretty deeply into some things that I’m thinking will benefit me and my son, such as understanding ‘induced throw’ etc. etc. And no doubt, other things I don’t know that I don’t know yet.

In the interim I’m working on my stroke: pre-shot routine, stepping in, stance, smooth, straight, pendulum, grip, set-pause-finish, follow through.

Anyway, if you’d recommend just one of Dr. Dave’s sets to get a more advanced understanding... (again for a couple of newbies that are hungry for info)? I’m sure I’ll wind up with a few of his offerings, again though, best set to begin with...

Thanks!

PS: almost put this in the aiming sub, but didn’t seem to quite fit there. Please move if I’ve made a mistake! ;)

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I’ve seen Briesath’s videos - several times. They’re gems and I’ll watch them again no doubt. I’ve got Poolology, but I feel like I need more visualization and foundational understanding before I can really pull from it just yet.

Dr. Dave appears to go pretty deeply into some things that I’m thinking will benefit me and my son, such as understanding ‘induced throw’ etc. etc. And no doubt, other things I don’t know that I don’t know yet.

In the interim I’m working on my stroke: pre-shot routine, stepping in, stance, smooth, straight, pendulum, grip, set-pause-finish, follow through.

Anyway, if you’d recommend just one of Dr. Dave’s sets to get a more advanced understanding... (again for a couple of newbies that are hungry for info)? I’m sure I’ll wind up with a few of his offerings, again though, best set to begin with...

Thanks!

PS: almost put this in the aiming sub, but didn’t seem to quite fit there. Please move if I’ve made a mistake! ;)

All of Dr. Dave's videos are great. Also take a look at Tor Lowry's Zero X videos. I learned a lifetime of info from those. Good luck.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I have the VEPP which is pretty sweet. It goes over basic stuff pretty quickly but thoroughly then gets more advanced. I’ve been slacking on my structured practice though and this has reminded me to get back to it.

I also have the VEPS I think it’s called. The encyclopedia of pool shots. This one I don’t like quite as much because even though it has a lot of good shots, from what I’ve watched so far he never give actual coordinates to set up these shots. You can set them up yourself and get close but in some situations you can’t be sure you have everything the same and what you’re trying to replicate may be impossible due to just a small difference in angle or whatever so you can’t be sure if you’re doing it wrong or setting up wrong.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the VEPP which is pretty sweet. It goes over basic stuff pretty quickly but thoroughly then gets more advanced. I’ve been slacking on my structured practice though and this has reminded me to get back to it.

I also have the VEPS I think it’s called. The encyclopedia of pool shots. This one I don’t like quite as much because even though it has a lot of good shots, from what I’ve watched so far he never give actual coordinates to set up these shots. You can set them up yourself and get close but in some situations you can’t be sure you have everything the same and what you’re trying to replicate may be impossible due to just a small difference in angle or whatever so you can’t be sure if you’re doing it wrong or setting up wrong.

Awesome! After reading a bit and looking at Dr. Dave’s video sets, I had VEPP as my horse. Barring other definitive opinions from y’all, this is what I was going to go with. Looks like a lock.

Hopefully Santa will have extra room in his bag of toys ;)

(I might add Tor Lowry too. He appears to have some good stuff.)

Seriously, thank you.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
IDr. Dave appears to go pretty deeply into some things that I’m thinking will benefit me and my son, such as understanding ‘induced throw’ etc. etc. And no doubt, other things I don’t know that I don’t know yet.

FYI, I have lots of product info and purchasing advice here:

Dr. Dave Instructional Product Information and Purchasing Advice

If you were going to purchase only a single set, I would recommend:

Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (VEPS)

FYI, concerning fundamentals, I have lots of free stuff online here:

Fundamentals Online Tutorial

Dr. Dave's YouTube Playlist for Beginner Instruction

I hope you enjoy and benefit from my stuff,
Dave

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave

Thank you Dr. Dave! Maybe one day we can enroll in your personal school in Colorado.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to say the "How to aim pool shots" video, which I see as kind of an updated and shorter version of the Video encyclopedia of pool shots. But to be honest, he has so much freely available, that I'd start with all the free stuff first.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to say the "How to aim pool shots" video, which I see as kind of an updated and shorter version of the Video encyclopedia of pool shots. But to be honest, he has so much freely available, that I'd start with all the free stuff first.

Thank you.

I’ve been enjoying his free YouTube videos - still watching them ;-) They are indeed chock full of fantastic information, and there are a lot of them as you well know!

Maybe it’s a sign of the times, and zero aspersion towards Dr. Dave, but I imagine the real goodies are behind the paywall. I know mine would be. What can I say, I’m a red-blooded American capitalist.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're a class act Dr. Dave. Thanks for your work and always being a gentleman.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a class act Dr. Dave. Thanks for your work and always being a gentleman.

You mean to tell me that the good Dr. Dave has never once lost it and told a bunch of you knuckleheads here where to stick it? Dang!

lol j/k ... oops!!!

:eek:uttahere:

PS: On a serious note Dr. Dave, VEPS is likely just my first purchase of your materials. No doubt I’ll end up with more. From what I’ve read, your prices for what you teach are slam-dunk worth it.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave, VEPS is likely just my first purchase of your materials. No doubt I’ll end up with more. From what I’ve read, your prices for what you teach are slam-dunk worth it.
VEPS was an epic project. Tom Ross an I spent many weeks together planning and filming for it, and his wealth of experience and playing skill really added a lot to the project. I hope you enjoy and benefit from it.

Best regards,
Dave

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave
Dr. Dave, this may sound silly to some folks here but you would certainly have my vote for "Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame" for all you've given to the pool world. Lots of information you have passed on at no charge that lots of folks on limited income can't afford to buy. Thank you.
(I just went to your site and bought the T-shirt) !!!

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave, this may sound silly to some folks here but you would certainly have my vote for "Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame" for all you've given to the pool world. Lots of information you have passed on at no charge that lots of folks on limited income can't afford to buy. Thank you.
That is very kind of you to say, and I appreciate it.

Best regards,
Dave