Corona virus drugs on the horizon. Encouraging updates for players + loved ones

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
I was wondering about this COVID-19 virus. Over a million has been detected that has the virus and probably more that has not been detected but has the virus. Thousands die and thousands recover. What is puzzling is that there is no cure, but how were these people recover? Does that mean this COVID-19 is fatal to others but not to others? That there is a natural defense that people have inside their bodies?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect when a test to determine immunity becomes available we will discover far more people have had covid 19 and are perfectly fine than has been reported and the people who shut down the economy will look like idiots.

What do you think now of all the states that started to re-open and closed when they saw the immediate results? Seems to be spreading more in the low IQ states where they believe not wearing a mask and spreading sickness and death is a Constitutional right.

Last i heard those asshole NYr's who are packed together like sardines were spreading it at the lowest rate per capita in the country.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I was wondering about this COVID-19 virus. Over a million has been detected that has the virus and probably more that has not been detected but has the virus. Thousands die and thousands recover. What is puzzling is that there is no cure, but how were these people recover? Does that mean this COVID-19 is fatal to others but not to others? That there is a natural defense that people have inside their bodies?
I can't think of a single deadly disease that doesn't kill some and not others. Most people's bodies have the ability to fight it off, some don't. Most have the ability to survive the strain it puts on various systems in our bodies, some don't.

In that regard it is no different than the common flu. Not dying doesn't likely mean you were somehow born immune, it just means you fought it off with little to no drama.

Sent from the future.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To know the fatality rate, divide the number of deaths by the sum of recovered cases and cases that resulted in death. In this country 10% fatality rate. Total number of cases means nothing because we don't know the outcome yet. Some will die, some recover but we don't know. These numbers are from CDC, Johns Hopkins and Worldmeter.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Cases which had an outcome: 1,368,142

Recovered / Discharged 1,235,997 (90%)

Deaths 132,145 (10%)

stay safe, this will pass

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lakeman, just looked up your #'s on the CDC site, as a 10% death rate seemed a little misleading. According to the CDC,
Total reported Covid cases 2,789,678
Total reported deaths 129,305
So by my math that comes out to 4.6% death rate, much to high, but substantially less than 10%. Also keep in mind that many deaths are labeled as covid deaths, even though though they could have been from the flu, or other causes, as they were just labeled Covid without testing for it. Also keep in mind that the total covid case count would be substantially higher if when this first started, they actually tested for it, when you called your Dr, instead of telling you to just stay home. So in reality the death % is more than likely substantially less than the 4.6% figure that is being reported now. This still is a very scary figure for most of us, as I would venture to guess that a lot of the forum members here are older. I know my wife and I have drastically curtailed our trips to town and activities, but we still go out fishing quite a bit, and were just told that our Wednesday night pool league will be starting mid September, and we will probably participate. We do have a Wednesday morning Sr. pool league get together at a bar in town, and we will probably not start that in September, but wait till the end of the year to see how things are going with this mess. My wife and I are the youngest couple in that league, and I am 70, and one person that I pick up and give a ride to it is 88, so hopefully they do not want to start that up, as we wouldn't attend that.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Also keep in mind that many deaths are labeled as covid deaths, even though though they could have been from the flu, or other causes, as they were just labeled Covid without testing for it. ...
I think the best handle on the number of COVID-19 deaths is the number of excess deaths -- how many people died in June compared to June of last year or the average over the previous five years corrected for population growth/decline. Those numbers might include people who died of heart attacks because they couldn't get into a crowded hospital, but there won't be many of those.

Total number of deaths is a fairly accurate number.

As for total number of infected people, I think we don't have much of a clue. The only way we're going to get those numbers now is to have an accurate, cheap antibody test with a very low false positive rate. That doesn't seem to be available yet.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett
I agree. excess deaths makes sense
On the other side of the pandemic, assuming there is another side, we will see "negative excess" deaths, as the old people who were "supposed" to die later will already have been counted.

Bob <-- doesn't want to be counted just yet

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should stop buying "biotech" stocks for a bit, because the race is on to make $$$$. You should be well versed in Theranos being a "biotech" invstor, so here's their early efforts in patent trolling post-epidemic sales...

https://regmedia.co.uk/2020/03/18/theranos.pdf
also...
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10533994B2/en

In other news a man 3D printed a part to help combat low supply, now's he's being threatened with lawsuits. The part originally costs $11,000, his version that can be printed out directly by hospitals cost 11,000x less.... $1.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/16/firm...nt-coronavirus-equipment-save-lives-12403815/

The money race is on, first with a vaccine wins!!!

Any federal regulation approval process is out the window for _immediate_ pandemics, how is that not historically obvious? People don't depend on a federal approval process to have their lives saved during pandemics, they never have... ever (in fact, that defeats the entire purpose of the W.H.O., Doctors Without Borders, PeaceCorp., etc...).

Lastly, the presented information here with the vaccine for H1N1 is either FUD or yet more he-said-she-said. Tamiflu not only existed prior to H1N1 but was approved years before the 2009 outbreak. BTW, Tamiflu is _STILL_ recommended (along with something new to me called Zanamivir, which is apparently better).... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1 Spreading gossip about COVID-19 is 1 thing, but you can't do that with H1N1, too many of us have read too much about it (it's been 10 years!!).

Oh, the the fatality rate is now at a all time low for COVID-19 in the USA.
Total cases: 15,219
Total deaths: 201

201/15219 = .013...

So if your 65 or older and have contracted it, you have at worst a 98.7% chance to live.

Would you like to update your brilliant treatise?

PS- All these 'smart guys' seem dumber than I.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should stop buying "biotech" stocks for a bit, because the race is on to make $$$$. You should be well versed in Theranos being a "biotech" invstor, so here's their early efforts in patent trolling post-epidemic sales...

https://regmedia.co.uk/2020/03/18/theranos.pdf
also...
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10533994B2/en

In other news a man 3D printed a part to help combat low supply, now's he's being threatened with lawsuits. The part originally costs $11,000, his version that can be printed out directly by hospitals cost 11,000x less.... $1.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/16/firm...nt-coronavirus-equipment-save-lives-12403815/

The money race is on, first with a vaccine wins!!!

Any federal regulation approval process is out the window for _immediate_ pandemics, how is that not historically obvious? People don't depend on a federal approval process to have their lives saved during pandemics, they never have... ever (in fact, that defeats the entire purpose of the W.H.O., Doctors Without Borders, PeaceCorp., etc...).

Lastly, the presented information here with the vaccine for H1N1 is either FUD or yet more he-said-she-said. Tamiflu not only existed prior to H1N1 but was approved years before the 2009 outbreak. BTW, Tamiflu is _STILL_ recommended (along with something new to me called Zanamivir, which is apparently better).... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H1N1 Spreading gossip about COVID-19 is 1 thing, but you can't do that with H1N1, too many of us have read too much about it (it's been 10 years!!).

Oh, the the fatality rate is now at a all time low for COVID-19 in the USA.
Total cases: 15,219
Total deaths: 201

201/15219 = .013...

So if your 65 or older and have contracted it, you have at worst a 98.7% chance to live.

...Ahahaha