OB and McDermott 3/8x10 joints not interchangeable?

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I just bought OB and McDermott cues, both with 3/8x10 joints. In the past I was able to put a G-Core shaft on an OB butt and vice versa, but these new shafts are definitely not interchangeable. Putting the Mac shaft on the OB butt was not even close to going on; I was afraid to damage the shaft. Putting the OB shaft on the Mac butt was way too big...80% of the way down it still had a major wobble. Looking the pins there seems to be a noticeable difference in both size and thread. In the past I've had both cues and was able to mix and match, but not with these 2. Has anybody else experienced this recently? Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I just bought OB and McDermott cues, both with 3/8x10 joints. In the past I was able to put a G-Core shaft on an OB butt and vice versa, but these new shafts are definitely not interchangeable. Putting the Mac shaft on the OB butt was not even close to going on; I was afraid to damage the shaft. Putting the OB shaft on the Mac butt was way too big...80% of the way down it still had a major wobble. Looking the pins there seems to be a noticeable difference in both size and thread. In the past I've had both cues and was able to mix and match, but not with these 2. Has anybody else experienced this recently? Thanks
IIRC OB uses a 3/8x10 modified flat-bottom and McD. uses a standard 3/8x10. Not same.