World 9 ball?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just got email from WPA. NO date has been set for World 9ball. This is direct from Gre Leenders, General Sec. of WPA.

Qatar is in a slump right now

0139E284-7B70-44AD-8A22-B8F369A9C944.jpeg

They’ve been preparing for the World Cup...FIFA...2022
There is an investigation on how and why they were awarded the hosting rights.

D4720538-48E0-4749-BD9D-48A51C5DF5FD.jpeg

They aren’t getting along with some of their neighbors also

WPA is on the job no doubt....looking to make this work...like they usually do...:rolleyes:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I apologize for the article that we are talking about here. I will get this fixed and do my best to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

Mike

Jerry Forsyth

My apologies for this article. It is a sponsored post with promotional links so I beg your pardon. I will be a better proofreader in the future. Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got email from WPA. NO date has been set for World 9ball. This is direct from Gre Leenders, General Sec. of WPA.
MORE: i asked if Qatar had indicated bowing out as host country and they said so far no, they hadn't been told that yet. Its middle of Aug. and its possible they just haven't posted dates with WPA. We'll see. Wish this was somewhere like Sydney, Tokyo,Montreal, Miami. Somewhere people actually want to visit.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Nice detective work, fella.

Sad to hear this news, though. Need to keep this event alive.

I would love to see it return to Cardiff, Wales where it was a first class production in every respect.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would love to see it return to Cardiff, Wales where it was a first class production in every respect.
I wish Matchroom still ran it. WPA is kinda clueless. They have ZERO game when it comes to promotion. Barry and Crew give 'em the six when it comes to putting on a show.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I wish Matchroom still ran it. WPA is kinda clueless. They have ZERO game when it comes to promotion. Barry and Crew give 'em the six when it comes to putting on a show.

I was watching some matches from the 2004 World 9 ball event and it's sad to see the difference between then and now. The production for the time was great and the crowd was huge for a pool tournament. Not only that but Alex won 75k which went up to 100k the following year. It's sad to see the game slide back instead of move forward.

If Qatar isn't hosting the event anymore, I'm fine with that even if it means missing a year. We got a great World 10 ball Championship so it's not like we are going a year without crowning a world champ. Eventually, someone will pick up the World 9 ball and whoever it is, it has to be better than Qatar. I felt like having it over there for the past 7 years or so did nothing to develop and promote the game. It was so hidden away with barely any coverage that it might as well not have happened at all.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

taiwan and manila was nice too! maybe a bit too partisan crowd but i'd rather have that than the empty qatari airplane hangar

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't see any such news article on AZB. But perhaps they are confusing it with the APA tournament that is going this week. It is branded as a World Championship for both 9 ball and 8 ball. I think Carlo Biado would be competitive :)

I hate that APA named it the World Championship. I'm sure some 4 handicap is running around telling everyone he's a world champ. Total BS...

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MORE: i asked if Qatar had indicated bowing out as host country and they said so far no, they hadn't been told that yet. Its middle of Aug. and its possible they just haven't posted dates with WPA. We'll see. Wish this was somewhere like Sydney, Tokyo,Montreal, Miami. Somewhere people actually want to visit.

So disappointing that this organization can hold the keys to an entire year of who is the best in the world topic discussions just because they have “world” in the title.
The US Open and the International Open are the new best in the world tournaments, just because they are held every year, reliable and on schedule, and the worlds players attend.

the WPA can disappear with the fancy title—it’s unfortunate for the sport and the players who play it, but at least we still have some structure that the best in the world can duke it out to see who is the best.

How about a Mr. Olympia type format, where the winner of the US Open plays the winner of the International Open to see who will sit on the Mount Olympus of pool for that year? The WPA can watch from home.