Any feedback on this table???

RJM

Registered
I'm hoping that somebody might be able to help me identify the model of this National brand pool table and give me any kind of an opinion on its quality. It is a 4 1/2 x 9 foot table and I've attached a few pictures so you can see what it looks like. I know it's not in the same league as a GC or a Diamond, but is it a decent (mid-range) home table? I have no experience with National tables, I grew up playing on a Brunswick, but am having real trouble finding any tables with "snooker" pockets (which is what I'm used to playing on and would prefer). That is what is attracting me to this National table. It looks solid (not like a piece of furniture), although I haven't seen it in person yet. I'm considering purchasing it from someone that has owned it for the past 15 years. They are also including 7 "decent" cues, two sets of Aramith premium balls and a scoreboard / cue rack all for an asking price of $900 USD - pretty sure I could close the deal at around $600 - $650 USD, but I want to make sure I'm not getting a piece of junk! Any opinion / information / comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I also went to the National website and sent an email to a listed contact there (Frank Knapp) a week ago, but haven't had any response yet. Thanks, Ray.

Attachments

• National Table #1.JPG
    National Table #1.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 390
  • National Table #2.JPG
    National Table #2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 389
  • National Table #3.JPG
    National Table #3.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 390
  • National Table #4.JPG
    National Table #4.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 377
  • National Table #5.JPG
    National Table #5.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 378

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Sorry I know nothing but for $900 I’d be all over that thing.

I want it right now. I’d be careful though around someone who mixes up the pink and blue spots..

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There were some old Nationals out of Cincinnati that played well.
...I believe the company was reincarnated...second time around, not so good...
...I’d pass

pt...played on both types...where’s RKC when you need him?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can get a snooker table like that with all the extras you mentioned for $600 or so ; I doubt there is another better deal here in the U.S. for a snooker table- not so easy to find here.

RJM

Registered
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I'm going to have a look at the table tonight, but I think I might hold out for a GC. I've come across a couple of GC options that are a little more $$, but I think will be worth it in the long-run.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I'm going to have a look at the table tonight, but I think I might hold out for a GC. I've come across a couple of GC options that are a little more $$, but I think will be worth it in the long-run.

Do you know the difference between snooker pockets and pool pockets? I’m not trying to insult, I just want to make sure you know that table will play completely different from any pool table.
And to convert to pool pockets will cost a few thousand by a reputable mechanic to make sure it’s done the right way.

So if you are looking to play pool, then Hold out for a GC.

RJM

Registered
Hello, and yes I do know the difference ... and like I said in the intro, I grew-up playing (both 8-ball and snooker) on a Brunswick with snooker pockets. "British 8-ball" or "English pool" is played on a table with "snooker pockets" - so I'm very familiar with playing on a table like that, as I matter of fact, I have a huge preference for that type of pocket over the "American Pool" wedge or angled pockets. The balls used in the British game are 2 to 2 1/16" versus the 2 1/4' balls used in the American game. If you want to look into some of the differences a little more, cut and paste the link below into your browser (just one of a ton of comparisons out there):

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/p...rences-between-english-and-american-pool.html

So when I do settle on a GC, it will hopefully have the same pockets!

**sharpens the game a little!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, and yes I do know the difference ... and like I said in the intro, I grew-up playing (both 8-ball and snooker) on a Brunswick with snooker pockets. "British 8-ball" or "English pool" is played on a table with "snooker pockets" - so I'm very familiar with playing on a table like that, as I matter of fact, I have a huge preference for that type of pocket over the "American Pool" wedge or angled pockets. The balls used in the British game are 2 to 2 1/16" versus the 2 1/4' balls used in the American game. If you want to look into some of the differences a little more, cut and paste the link below into your browser (just one of a ton of comparisons out there):

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/p...rences-between-english-and-american-pool.html

So when I do settle on a GC, it will hopefully have the same pockets!

**sharpens the game a little!
The odds of you finding a gold crown with snooker pockets are slim to none. So factor in the cost of having subrails modified and new cushions installed on the gold crown.
That set looks like the Aramith snooker set at 2.25” so I’m guessing the rails are already at the right height for pool.

I see you are familiar with the pockets but if you are looking to play pool or get better at pool, those pockets will limit many of the shots required to practice/play high level American pool.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There were some old Nationals out of Cincinnati that played well.
...I believe the company was reincarnated...second time around, not so good...
...I’d pass

pt...played on both types...where’s RKC when you need him?

You can keep it, I'm not interested in National 9ft snooker tables in any way, shape, or form.

RJM

Registered
Went to take a look at it tonight, rails were 100% DEAD! For the money that would have to go into making it playable, the seller would have to give it away and they're not willing to do that, so that's that! The search continues!!