if you dont play it and cant watch onepocket

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a poster in another thread in a response to my post about onepocket said
"Nooooo... That’s like saying eventually you will enjoy watching paint dry lol "
i say to those who have similar feelings about onepocket
its probably because you dont understand it
and admire the intricacies of the game,
a well played safety or a pocket speed bank that just dribbles into the pocket or carom
or understanding how one player is out thinking the other
are all things of beauty and immense enjoyment to me........:)
but i guess there is chocolate and vanilla for reasons......:thumbup:

I understand exactly what your saying and it may very well be true for most that don't enjoy 1hole but, I for one hate playing 1hole because of the, what seems like an eternity between shots.

On the other hand, I enjoy playing 1hole with a reasonable shot clock thats appropriate for 1hole.

IMO, if a person (no matter who or for how much) can't find and execute the right shot within ~90 seconds....well, they are boring and I will not watch unless I have something on the game. Just to watch...to watch? Hell no.

Again, I do understand what your saying. IMO, any game can be ruined by a player that is slow enough to matter.

Jeff

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If you understand what is happening it can be riveting while somebody else watching the same game is bored stiff. ...

Yes, but it would be wrong to put all the bored-stiff people in the don't-understand-what-is-happening bucket. Sometimes 1-Pkt. enthusiasts try to do that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this rule but I don’t think Grady ever came round to implementing it in any of his Legends tourneys. I also like moving scores forwards only (i.e. if you take an intentional, your opponent takes any ball and puts it on his shelf but has to shoot).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He used it at his poolroom tourneys. I don't know about the Legends.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but it would be wrong to put all the bored-stiff people in the don't-understand-what-is-happening bucket. Sometimes 1-Pkt. enthusiasts try to do that.

I agree 1000%.

A good example is 14.1. Most people can't stand 14.1 for long periods of time. Add a slow player to the mix...it puts most to sleep. I know 100 ball runners that literally hate to "just" watch.

Same with snooker....even at the elit

The level of play doesn't matter. The bet doesn't matter if I'm not involved. I have to either be playing or have something on the line for me to watch and truly stay engaged in slower games.

Jeff

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my screen is too big

i can not see the entire thread,i keep having to scoot the ble thing over to see the far side
how do i get it proper size?

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like this rule but I don’t think Grady ever came round to implementing it in any of his Legends tourneys. I also like moving scores forwards only (i.e. if you take an intentional, your opponent takes any ball and puts it on his shelf but has to shoot).

Yes, he did....in Grady's Legends tournament, which I played in, that was held in Columbia, South Carolina in, I think 2002, we used the 'Grady rule'.

- Ghost

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can not see the entire thread,i keep having to scoot the ble thing over to see the far side
how do i get it proper size?

Its basically one group of people having a different "opinion" about things that are not set in stone.

Very, very few things are set in stone. Most everything has variations. 1hole is no different.

Jeff

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe just give an already made ball to your opponent and if you have none yet then just keep track like with a ball owed.

That could be an option. You are right, giving any ball is sometimes too big an advantage but equally you just don’t take a scratch in those situations

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he did....in Grady's Legends tournament, which I played in, that was held in Columbia, South Carolina in, I think 2002, we used the 'Grady rule'.

- Ghost

I stand corrected then. I didn’t know there had been the Legends tournaments other than those four recorded by Accu-stats.

In the first one which was also held in Columbia, SC Grady introduced a rule of one intentional per game which raised quite a bit of controversy among players (e.g. how one interprets a two or three rail kick which misses a ball by the opponent’s pocket) and was abandoned in later tournaments

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Spot

I have seen and been told if you gamble large and play the champions you need to say before a ball is hit the third push is loss of game. Not in a row either. Kills alot of moves.
They will just push until they can make them all. Stops that.
Nick :)

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d rather play a round of golf, or watch grass grow.

The former is quicker and the latter more exciting. :grin:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rules I'd use.

Intentionals, at least minus two. Subsequent intentionals more. Minus 5 each sounds good or a constant incrementing of the damage; or just plain ball in hand.

Play to the last ball of each rack and just keep a running total.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a poster in another thread in a response to my post about onepocket said
"Nooooo... That’s like saying eventually you will enjoy watching paint dry lol "
i say to those who have similar feelings about onepocket
its probably because you dont understand it
and admire the intricacies of the game,
a well played safety or a pocket speed bank that just dribbles into the pocket or carom
or understanding how one player is out thinking the other
are all things of beauty and immense enjoyment to me........:)
but i guess there is chocolate and vanilla for reasons......:thumbup:

I play all of the games.
One pocket takes every ounce of pool knowledge you have in your tool box.
Sooner or later in a pool playing career you figure that out.

Hope you're well BBB.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't play it and don't watch it. Tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be a game that shouldn't be played on anything smaller than a 9ft table.

I don't watch much pool, rather play.

You are correct.
Goes for 14.1 too.
As a matter of fact let's get rid of bar boxes and bring back ten footers.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a good player looks at an 8 ball open table or a 9 ball open table and should be able to know how all the balls in his runout are going. just a matter of if he can execute his plan or not.

in one pocket the table is ever changing and it isnt who the best shooter and position player is who wins. it adds in who is the smartest and knows what is the highest percentage shots for him to take.

so it appeals to a different mindset of players.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...in one pocket the table is ever changing and it isnt who the best shooter and position player is who wins. it adds in who is the smartest and knows what is the highest percentage shots for him to take.
Just one of the many unique things about 1 pocket:

Virtually every shot must be a two-way on a difficult shot that leaves your opponent shotless but leaves you with a followup. That's also what's happening against you.

My favorite aspect of 1 pocket is probably what others don't like:

It's more like martial arts sparring - you're both throwing punches back and forth, usually changing player each shot, reacting to the position you've been put in and trying to return the favor. Single-player performances with multi-ball runs are the exception.

pj <- 1-pocket victim
chgo