bad experience w/ UPS

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
That cue should be easy to spot. Peeps around MI pubs and poolhalls should be extra alert. Offering a reward might aid in recruiting people for the hunt? A police report should filed on this.

Good luck. Hope they catch the bastage.

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
bad expierence w/ UPS

pictures are on page 4, trying to put in a claim is near impossible, you get lead all over, its very difficult, haven't figured it out yet. there is no such thing as customer service. and why when you ask to speak to a manager, they transfer you to a manager from Asia?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone "actually" ever collected from UPS, FedEX, USPS, or others, when they DID insure?

I've heard on here that even with insurance, the carriers deny it for pool cues.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Has anyone "actually" ever collected from UPS, FedEX, USPS, or others, when they DID insure?

I've heard on here that even with insurance, the carriers deny it for pool cues.

USPS pays out 100% with proof of sale

A PayPal receipt for a sale qualifies

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member

I have with a $100 item shipped USPS a decade ago. I giant hassle and they don't even refund the shipping cost as part of it...or didn't back the anyhow, which seemed insane.

Based on this experience I only insure stuff over $3-500 and take my chances on the odds being in my favor and my cost being less even if I occasionally eat one. I have shipped probably over 1000 items in the past 15 years. That one with USPS was my only issue.

Higher dollar items I pay for insurance, it's purely a risk/reward calculation. Insurance is what you buy when you can't absorp a large loss. I have car insurance if course but high deductibles. If Ibcrack a windshield, I just pay out of pocket because over the long run it's cheaper than the extra insurance cost. If I cracked one more often or the insurance was cheaper I'd reevaluate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
truly a nightmare. was paid for a cue pay pal. was asked to send UPS, a nightmare getting them to p/u package. it was paid for shipping [no insurance] by check & overcharged. customer contacted me July 31 & said he had not received it yet.
was sent July 17. called UPS several times, they told me it was lost & nothing more
could be done. BIG LOSS

Always, always, always send via the Postal Service. Get free delivery confirmation and pay extra for insurance.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are both lucky. I think your logic that no insurance means less attention and a safer experience may have been accurate at some point, but not now. The escalated documentation of a mailed item's progress is a more secure service, not less secure.

Insurance is cheap, on a per-unit basis...and it isn't a money loser for the issuer, either.

It is cheap on a per unit basis because any single piece has a very low probability of loss.which means nothing when it is your item that goes missing...but that is why neither of you have been burned.

IMO!

I do get tracking and pay for a signature requirement. These provide said escalated documentation of a mailed item's progress without cost. To be quite frank, I just think the "insurance" is worthless. Try recouping a claim should something go missing.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

I have car insurance if course but high deductibles. If Ibcrack a windshield, I just pay out of pocket because over the long run it's cheaper than the extra insurance cost. If I cracked one more often or the insurance was cheaper I'd reevaluate.

My Farmers auto insurance policy has a separate deductable for glass. Run a high deductable on collision and comp, keep a low deductable on windshields.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear about this but:

Shipping high end cue by "anyone" without insurance is a huge mistake, just like shipping at less than the most elite level of service by said company is an even bigger mistake.

I don't expect the above from experienced cue makers/sellers but, it seems that some still choose to take the risk from time to time and cut corners to save a buck. Sometimes the corners we cut end up cutting back.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good tip. It is also the very first item to transfer in the chain of custody at every destination point. Nothing on the truck or plane gets handled until the Reg is signed and accounted for.

Correct but if I've learned anything about pool players is they are independent and tend to be set in their ways. Still whenever I see one of these threads I recommend registered mail just in case somebody is asking for a solution instead of just complaining.

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
truly a nightmare. was paid for a cue pay pal. was asked to send UPS, a nightmare getting them to p/u package. it was paid for shipping [no insurance] by check & overcharged. customer contacted me July 31 & said he had not received it yet.
was sent July 17. called UPS several times, they told me it was lost & nothing more
could be done. BIG LOSS

Don, not bossing you, but always remember your responsible for delivering the cue to the customer therefore you must insure for full amount. The $100 insurance including in the shipping doesn't get it.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay and only use USPS, out of every 1000 packages only 2-3 get lost typically. I don't know about UPS but most USPS Priority mail automatically includes $50 worth of insurance. All USPS 1st Class and Priority mail will be delivered within 1-3 days. For me personally the faster it ships the less likelihood for any shenanigans but I don't sell pool cues but there's a lot of horror stories on here so something nefarious is likely going on with the shipping companies.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Lest we forget that this is the same community where a stick will be set for $2100 and someone will offer $500 with the thought, "had to try."

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Lest we forget that this is the same community where a stick will be set for $2100 and someone will offer $500 with the thought, "had to try."
Yes, and most likely is is a $1300 cue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was an active professional eBay seller for a few years, and I have had all three major shipping services lose packages. Collecting on the insurance from FedEx was never a problem, although the process was unnecessarily cumbersome. Collecting was about a 50-50 shot with UPS, again using a process that seemed designed to discourage claims. Was only able to collect one time with USPS insurance, and that was after a 3-month battle with them and ultimately filing in court.

I don't ship nearly as much of my own merchandise now, although I do ship a lot of equipment of other companies. (Network and POS equipment removed from service and being returned for repair) The other companies choose the shipper and provide the shipping labels, and they seem to use mostly UPS. For my own items I only use USPS for values under $100. I never buy the insurance when shipping USPS as it is generally worthless when trying to make a claim. For higher priced stuff I use FedEx and almost always insure.

Using the USPS Registered Mail service is also an excellent idea. Many years ago when I was a FFL dealer I shipped a lot of handguns that way and never had any losses. That was the only way USPS would carry firearms, and even then I believe you had to be an FFL holder to ship with them.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have bought and sold with don and on several high end cues we placed no insurance

I am not the only one who self insures,combination of confidennce in the shipping and no confidence in the insurance paying

has anyone ever collected insurance on a pool cue