View Single Post
Old
  (#29)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete H View Post
I've played less than 50 sessions of 14.1 and have missed way more break shots than I've made.

One reason is that I have difficulties to find a pattern to leave an easy shot from key ball to break position.

Another reason is that the rack distracts me a lot during a break shot and I need to figure out a way to focus only on the shot but it's insanely difficult (at least with an ADHD handicap)

Any hints how to not to think about the rack while I'm shooting? Last week I tried different break shots without the rack and had no trouble pocketing them with the percentage I should make those shots.

Also there's the monkey on my back because I've already missed so many of them and I kind of expect (or at least fear) to miss the next one too.
Pete - first thing to understand is that the problem you have with the break shot is completely normal. Most new players have this same problem. Here's my theory: When there is no rack to "worry" about you shoot the ball in no problem. When the rack is there and you see this mass of balls in your peripheral vision, your subconscious tells you that you need to hit harder because if you don't the rack won't open up. You will likely hit harder than you are prepared for and will tense up. Game over.

Try this, if you would. I'm curious if it helps. Set up the break shot and hit it softly. Try not to let any of the balls in the rack move far enough to touch a rail. If you can do that, hit slightly harder and try to get one ball to reach a rail. Keep increasing the power until you miss. This will help diagnose whether you are hitting harder than you realize, and might also show you that you don't need to hit the pack as hard as your subconscious is telling you in order to be successful.

Dan White