View Single Post
Old
  (#37)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-16-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king cut View Post
Thanks Bob, that clears it up and thatís the way we always played.
And so far as I know, it has been played that way for 100 years. The only recent addition is the marking part.

The rules for the 1921 National Championship simply say "interferes with the framing" without further definition, which is open to interpretation. If a ball is so close that it needs to be marked to avoid accidental bumping, it could reasonably be said to "interfere" with the process of racking. I was not there for the tournament, so I don't know exactly how balls very close to the triangle were handled in practice.

I had a situation recently when I should have marked the ball but I was really careful taking the triangle off and I didn't move the ball enough to make any difference, probably.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy