WPBA San Diego Classic

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's on ESPN this morning, 10AM PDT, 1PM EST. You MUST watch Monica play in this event. She is just outstanding! Some of the best pool ever by a woman on TV.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Damnit I missed it (this day job is interfering with my pool).

I had several acquaintances attend the San Diego tournament, and all thought that Monica played the best of any of the players all week.

The best player of the week does not always win; but that particular week probably did. Well done and congratulations to Monica (I'm supposing she is now much too famous to attend the annual pre-Michigan City cookout in Betmore's Basement). I'll hunt down some photo's from last year.

Way to go Monica.

Here is the link - it's actually a thread started by sjm describing his pilgrimage.....errrrr...."visit".... to Betmore's Basement before the WPBA event last year. Photo's of Monica from the cookout are further down in the thread.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=104254&highlight=cookout

P.S. - Potential attendee's of this year's cookout should note that the legislature is giving serious consideration to banning the chocolate martini's (some nonsense about "danger to public health" yada yada yada).....so get them while they are legal....

Last edited:

IamMark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched most of it, the finals was fantastic. I always record every Pool broadcasts onto my DVR. I just wanted to mention, is this an 09 tournament? I find it really odd that a great tournament, like this SD classic, is not recorded on HD. Yet, I think 2 weeks ago, they showed the International Speed Pool Tournament on ESPN2, and that was recorded in HD. Does speed pool really have a bigger fan base or bring in higher revenues? I was amazed at the quality, never seen a pool match in HD. Even the pocket cams were HD, supposively the smallest HD cameras.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Thanks for the heads up Jay. Johnnyt

I love watching her play. I saw her play a tv match when the WPBA held an event in Rocky Mount, NC a few years ago. She is a fierce competitor. I am glad to see that she is on top now. Her hard work has really paid off.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watched most of it, the finals was fantastic. I always record every Pool broadcasts onto my DVR. I just wanted to mention, is this an 09 tournament? I find it really odd that a great tournament, like this SD classic, is not recorded on HD. Yet, I think 2 weeks ago, they showed the International Speed Pool Tournament on ESPN2, and that was recorded in HD. Does speed pool really have a bigger fan base or bring in higher revenues? I was amazed at the quality, never seen a pool match in HD. Even the pocket cams were HD, supposively the smallest HD cameras.

This tournament was one month ago (April 2-5). Pretty quick turnaround for ESPN.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
She played great in both matches I watched, the out she made to win her second game was pretty sporty!

Jeremy

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
She played great in both matches I watched, the out she made to win her second game was pretty sporty!

Jeremy

She got out from spots where any other player would have played safe, including most men. ;)
I particularly liked the game where she jumped the two and three in back to back, and still had a super tough run out. Those long combinations were mind boggling as well. They both screamed SAFETY and she shot them in anyway. Bravo Monica!

By the way, these were not buckets they were playing on. They were very tough Gold Crown V's with tight 4.5" pockets. You had to hit it in the hole or it was not going.

Last edited:

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea that was the game i was talking about Jay! Sorry i wasn't more clear(half asleep). It wasn't just the two jump shots, the shot she made on the six when she smoothed it just past the 8 to go two rail to the 7 was a tough shot, especially down 4-1 in a race to 7! I think the others on tour should go practice, cause a monster has awaken!

Jeremy

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
She got out from spots where any other player would have played safe, including most men. ;)
I particularly liked the game where she jumped the two and three in back to back, and still had a super tough run out. Those long combinations were mind boggling as well. They both screamed SAFETY and she shot them in anyway. Bravo Monica!

By the way, these were not buckets they were playing on. They were very tough Gold Crown V's with tight 4.5" pockets. You had to hit it in the hole or it was not going.

That was one of the coolest runouts ever, the jump on the 3 showed some real skill. And the long, off angle combo on the 4-7 that she hit so sweetly that both balls dropped....wow.

This is a great win for her, but could be bad for the other ladies. :D It looks like if Monica plays with this kind of confidence, she could beat anybody.

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
I have to agree Jay. The final was thoroughly enjoyable. The game you mentioned with the jumps on the 2 and 3 was a ridiculous out. She looked confident and it was a pleasure to watch her play. And if I'm not mistaken, she came back from down 1-4 to win 7-5. And it's not like her opponent was a banger.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
Monica played real well. She is one tough cookie.
Way to go Monica. Keep it going girl.