Polyurethane, is it good enough?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Polyurethane, is it good enough?

Is there something better? Harder? More protective?

Anyone use anything different?

Not trying to make the rails look like a bar top, just wondering if there is something better.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

Trent from Toledo

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Polyester. Harder to work with. Only capable of a high-gloss finish. Very durable.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Polyester. Harder to work with. Only capable of a high-gloss finish. Very durable.

I dont do any high gloss finishes. I am a clear satin kind of guy. I want to see the grain of the wood. I do not use any grain fillers either. I guess I will stick to what I use. Not un happy with poly, just was wondering what other people use. Just wrapping up 2 older Diamonds I am restoring. Used many many brushed coats of poly, sanded between each coat and finished with 2 coats that I sprayed. Built up nicely. Just concerned with the durability in a pool room. I let if dry for 3 days and just upholstered the rails today. Room is still getting new carpet so plenty more time to dry. Thanks for your response.

Trent from Toledo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Trent, I spray auto clearcoat on my cues after they've been epoxy coated.
I've tried poly off the can. Not even close.
But, you will need to spray in a booth.

I believe Mark uses auto clear.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Not sure how the auto clear would work on pool rails? What is it. I know its a 2 part type finish, but, not sure what it is.

I think Mark uses the Polyester. I dont like gloss finish at all. I am very happy with my results, was just wondering what other use.

Let me know what the name of the auto clear is? Thanks Joey!

Trent from Toledo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not sure how the auto clear would work on pool rails? What is it. I know its a 2 part type finish, but, not sure what it is.

I think Mark uses the Polyester. I dont like gloss finish at all. I am very happy with my results, was just wondering what other use.

Let me know what the name of the auto clear is? Thanks Joey!

Trent from Toledo
PPG Shopline Euroclear 2 to 1 ratio.
You can try a small pint can for $20 at EBay.
You don't have to buff it to Crystal shine.