Playing Cue

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
There's a saying I made to cover situations like this: It's the Indian, not the arrow, that makes the difference.

Now what that means is that the cue itself (the arrow henceforth post haste) is not nearly as important as the one operating or wielding it (the engine) now that we know...AHHHHHH. ...ugh....un.

Sorry I recently woke up after a whole night of very strange dreams. Having my Cue helps get me in the zone for sure. I don't think I've ever gotten in a zone with any other cue, so it may not be a magical thing but a cue that's melded with you will, in fact, make you play better. I call this the arrow/indian continuum.

Thanks, you are the one that came up with that are you? It's very clever.

And thanks for explaining it too, we've all been waiting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever watch "Break from Life" on YT. Its a British dude who plays and teaches snooker. Really cool site. The cue this guy uses is a piece of crap. If you get a close-up of his tip/ferrule it literally looks like a dog chewed on it. Doesn't matter. He likes it and KNOWS it. Cues are so over-rated. If its pretty straight with a decent tip you can run out with it. So they say.

Yes, I do watch his videos from time to time...and I know exactly what you are talking about with his tip (it's larger in diameter than the ferrule, so it looks like a mushroom).

My WX700 has 2 cracks in ferrule and horrible-looking tip...plays perfect.

My Meucci Pro tip got shredded when I tried to use a new tool...no flat sides on the tip, but the part that hits is shaped fine...plays perfect.

I don't buy into many of the things I've read on here over the years. Experiences, skills and preferences can be vastly different from person to person, so regardless of how long someone has played pocket billiards or been a part of this forum is not always a good indication of things.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My WX700 has 2 cracks in ferrule and horrible-looking tip...plays perfect.

My Meucci Pro tip got shredded when I tried to use a new tool...no flat sides on the tip, but the part that hits is shaped fine...plays perfect.

pic
o6xta1.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I explain things in painful detail

You're trying way too hard. This is going nowhere. I think you know what I'm saying and just being obtuse to amuse yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After having to leave written instructions for work crews without being able to follow-up by phone and having to illustrate and edit procedures in a nuclear power plant I write in detail a person with a grade school education can understand. When someone fails to understand I have to suspect they are the one being deliberately obtuse. The other possibility is that they really are as dumb as a box of rocks. When they name themselves logical, I figure it is either a reminder to themselves to try to be logical or it is irony since they have no intent of being logical.

I don't know or care who you are but I'd bet a pretty that this isn't your first account here and we know each other from when you used another name. Possibly you are just a jackass to everyone you don't know but I doubt that, it takes more effort than it is really worth.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
About Cues

A cue story:

One of the stories about Scotty Townsend, He made a pretty large bet he could beat someone on the pool table with a tree limb from a tree near the place. No tip, just the piece of wood. Scotty spent a day or two whittling himself out a pool cue with his pocket knife then proceeded to beat his opponent handily! Wish I had been there, I suspect the more Scotty whittled, the more the other player knew he was had!

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A cue story:

One of the stories about Scotty Townsend, He made a pretty large bet he could beat someone on the pool table with a tree limb from a tree near the place. No tip, just the piece of wood. Scotty spent a day or two whittling himself out a pool cue with his pocket knife then proceeded to beat his opponent handily! Wish I had been there, I suspect the more Scotty whittled, the more the other player knew he was had!

Hu

Slammin’ Sammy Snead did a similar thing with a Cuban millionaire at golf.
...they’d gambled many different ways...Sam was up a lotta dough.
Sam would wonder when the guy would quit but the Cuban would say...
...”Gambling season just starting.”
So he cut a tree branch and whittled it into shape,,,and killed him again..
...the Cuban said “Gambling season over!”

What he didn’t know was that a tree branch was Sammy’s first golf club....:)

But it should be noted that neither Scotty or Sammy was playing someone of equal ability.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to any major tournament or big money match and try to take away the players cues and hand them a bar cue. Get back to us on what happens.

The higher level player you are the more you notice the difference. If I picked up a Stradivarius and a random pawn shop fiddle I couldn't tell the difference because I can't play the violin.

If you ever DID pick up a Stradivarius (and bowed only a single note) you would likely soon start taking violin lessons.
A good cue (or guitar, gun, etc.) is indeed ‘where you find it’, but exceptional quality DOES have a way of exerting itself. That’s why the best sounding guitars are usually the most beat-up/played.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, not equal ability!

Slammin’ Sammy Snead did a similar thing with a Cuban millionaire at golf.
...they’d gambled many different ways...Sam was up a lotta dough.
Sam would wonder when the guy would quit but the Cuban would say...
...”Gambling season just starting.”
So he cut a tree branch and whittled it into shape,,,and killed him again..
...the Cuban said “Gambling season over!”

What he didn’t know was that a tree branch was Sammy’s first golf club....:)

But it should be noted that neither Scotty or Sammy was playing someone of equal ability.

People not of equal ability for sure! Another odd thing, once inside somebody's head things can get equally ugly. Somebody would run over me with the spot I gave them at the end of a session if I gave it to them at the beginning.

I had a major reconstruction of a shoulder. Less than a week later I went out with a friend, straight to a pool hall. "Now I can beat you!" Nope, beat him at pool playing one handed against two, beat him at air hockey not as surprisingly, beat him at fooseball and flipper pinball still one hand to two once I had him on the run! I was rotten at fooseball and not very good at pinball two handed. I was slightly better on the twenty-five hole pinball machines but not much.

Amarillo Slim was famous for setting up people for prop bets. Played one of the best table tennis, but both used coke bottles. Slim had been practicing with coke bottles for months. Another time it was a pro basketball player and seeing who could make a basketball hit the most steps down a flight of stairs. Again Slim had been putting in the hours! I learned long ago to stay away from prop bets with anyone but drunken cowboys. They usually overestimated their abilities sober and always did drunk!

I busted one flatter than a flivver one night with him throwing coins at the slot in a pay phone. Worked out OK for him though, we were riding together and I wasn't ready to go home so I bought his drinks the rest of the night. It wasn't until the next day that he realized he had been throwing at the wrong type of phone, it would have taken a miracle for a coin to have went in that flat faced phone from over ten feet away.

Hu

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ever DID pick up a Stradivarius (and bowed only a single note) you would likely soon start taking violin lessons.
A good cue (or guitar, gun, etc.) is indeed ‘where you find it’, but exceptional quality DOES have a way of exerting itself. That’s why the best sounding guitars are usually the most beat-up/played.

The only way I would take violin lessons is if someone gave me a Stradivarius to own on the condition I had to take violin lessons.

Then I would flip it asap.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes it is fun to leave the case, cues, tools, all the gear behind, and walk into a place and play off the wall...There is a sense of freedom I don't get when I tote twenty pounds of case and gear into the hall.

Hu

hu ain't lie.
in my quest for the cue that fits me best,
I hope I will always be able to find a friend on the wall.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the wall

hu ain't lie.
in my quest for the cue that fits me best,
I hope I will always be able to find a friend on the wall.

Thanks!

I shot only off the wall until I scored a brand new Meucci for fifty bucks. Rumor has it that Bob was using soft maple for the shafts at the time. His shafts were limber enough to tie a knot in without cracking them I believe!

First six months I had the cue were funny. I would be shooting with the cue with a hinge and struggling badly. I'd bless the moochie, sling it in a corner and grab the first thing that caught my eye in the wall rack. This often evoked much laughter but not for long. After a few racks my opponent was usually an unhappy camper!

Somewhere after six months me and the moochie finally clicked. I always treated it nice other than the occasional fling into a corner but I was often tempted to see how far onto a roof I could hurl that thing! It wasn't a bad cue but dang was it hard to adjust to. Meucci's were it in my neck of the woods back then.

About ten years after I had quit playing regularly a coworker took up pool, playing in leagues and such. I brought the Meucci to work one day and gave it to him.

Hu

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Ak Stick challenge!

Listen up AK Stick,

I found a Meucci at a rummage sale and got it for 15 bucks. It was literally laying on the ground, but rolls and looks straight.

If you get your lazy dodging butt over here for some 10 Ball, you can use that cue and I will use one of my Diveney cues. I may even have a cold one and some Jamison in the safe.

What do you say, do we have and old school challenge match in the works? I mean old school complete with drinking and smoking and lies and dirty jokes, and war stories?

Nothing but cash accepted, or guns and optics, feel free to wear a pistol. I like it when my friends are armed!

I'm calling you out for an Alaskan hick town challenge match!

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue story:

Hu

The only thing this story means is that Scotty was WAY better than the guy he was playing. He didn't make that bet with any pros, did he? He didn't play as good with the tree limb as he did with his pool cue did he?
The logic that "insert monster pro player" can beat the avg. Joe with any cue is not logical at all when it is used to make the argument that the cue makes no difference

Cool story though

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing this story means is that Scotty was WAY better than the guy he was playing. He didn't make that bet with any pros, did he? He didn't play as good with the tree limb as he did with his pool cue did he?
The logic that "insert monster pro player" can beat the avg. Joe with any cue is not logical at all when it is used to make the argument that the cue makes no difference

Cool story though
ST "rastled" a gator too. Unique dude. The game misses him.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen up AK Stick,

I found a Meucci at a rummage sale and got it for 15 bucks. It was literally laying on the ground, but rolls and looks straight.

If you get your lazy dodging butt over here for some 10 Ball, you can use that cue and I will use one of my Diveney cues. I may even have a cold one and some Jamison in the safe.

What do you say, do we have and old school challenge match in the works? I mean old school complete with drinking and smoking and lies and dirty jokes, and war stories?

Nothing but cash accepted, or guns and optics, feel free to wear a pistol. I like it when my friends are armed!

I'm calling you out for an Alaskan hick town challenge match!
I need to move to Alaska, Alabama is getting boring!

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to go out on a limb here and state that the builder of a cue makes no difference to your win loss record. I’ve picked up a basic bar cue and as long as the tip is correct won games. I have had MANY CUSTOM cues and yes they provide a feeling of familiarity but they don’t mean i’ll Win. Winning is more ability and reading the table than the cue I am shooting with. I am not a AAA player but at least in my mind I can beat 80 percent of the players 50 percent of the time. I’ve owned more than a few high end cues that were built by some of the best to my specs and if I did my part they all performed. Yes having my own cue gives me a comfort factor but in only maybe two out of a hundred shots does the actual cue make the difference and when it does it in all honesty is probably the tip and it’s performance that is the difference. I play with custom cues and APPRECIATE doing so how ever anyone that plays with a bar cue or a cheap personal cue has no reason to feel inadequate, you play the table and to win, your biggest asset is your brain, your ability and your shots.
I agree that any decent inexpensive cue can allow a skilled player to play extremely well, and that custom cues can be over-priced vanity items. I also think "basic bar cue as long as the tip is correct " is vague. Many house cues have warped, sticky shafts that barely slide through the fingers. A good player can compensate, but at some point it will affect their play. There needs to be a basic level of quality, and that can be achieved at a fairly low price point, IMHO. Anyone plays better with whatever they happen to like, regardless of maker or cost. Sometimes I wonder how these same conversations keep coming up? Play whatever you want or can afford to play, and pride, ego and income should not be involved.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
used to catch them

ST "rastled" a gator too. Unique dude. The game misses him.

When you have an eye tuned for it you can spot gators while cruising down the highway. When Scotty was low on funds he would watch for a small gator around six foot or a bit less. He would catch it and sell it for seventy-five dollars or so, plenty to get a stake and rolling again.

Scotty was fun and funny. He apparently knew of every pool table in the whole south. You could walk into a bar at the end of the world, long passed where the neon had turned to wood, there would be a bar and boat landing, ... and Scotty.

Hu