• Instructional videos/books/hiring an instructor

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Drills

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Running balls - the ghost, 14.1 etc

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Balk line billiards - all the top players started this way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like these scientific questions - do I look like Einstein?

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
you're missing one.

all of the above.

At different stages of your development as a player, different things will help you to improve.

When you first pick up a cue, gambling will only make you give up the game. When you're a skilled player it may help to bring out your competitive spirit and help you to perform under pressure.

When you get to where you're able to pocket balls somewhat regularly, drills and position practice will help you to improve, but if you can't pocket balls, position drills won't help you and can hurt you in the long run.

Competing in tournaments once you've increased skill is the same as gambling, it can help you to compete better under pressure where as if you only practice drills and practice and play for funsies all the time, if you go and try to compete, it won't matter how well you practice.

So the short answer to your question is that for the best improvement, you need to do all of the above, but you have to understand when and how much to focus more on each aspect to get the best results.

Jaden

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Most players are not able to figure out their own weaknesses. They will get better faster with some help.

Thats the kind of instruction I would like. Someone who I dont even realize is watching that can tell me where I make my biggest mistakes or what part of my game is the weakest. If someone is going to watch you to offer help you would probably be on your "best behavior" so you might not really get what you are looking for.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Focus and confidence. You have to be focused and treat every shot the same. You also need to be confident in your shot selection and own it. If you get on a shot you think you're going to miss there's a good chance you will do just that. Seeing the layout. There's always a correct shot/position. If you shoot the right shot your win % goes up.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thats the kind of instruction I would like. Someone who I dont even realize is watching that can tell me where I make my biggest mistakes or what part of my game is the weakest. If someone is going to watch you to offer help you would probably be on your "best behavior" so you might not really get what you are looking for.

I found myself playing poorly one night in a nineball tournament, couldn't seem to string any racks together and couldn't figure out why. Then a friend approaches and asks, "You tired? " I say no. Then he says, "well, quit being so damn lazy....you're raising up a lot." From then on I purposely stayed down on every shot until the ball hit the pocket, and like magic I was back on my game. If a player has no instructor nearby, ask a friend to randomly watch a few games at some point without you knowing he/she is watching.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I came up, there were no videos available and none of the better players would tell you anything. You learned by watching better players play or playing them and getting beat. Professional help or at least help from someone considerably better than you is the quickest way to improve. Instructional vids are very good too. I'm still reluctant to share stuff I know. Old habits die hard I guess......

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I found myself playing poorly one night in a nineball tournament, couldn't seem to string any racks together and couldn't figure out why. Then a friend approaches and asks, "You tired? " I say no. Then he says, "well, quit being so damn lazy....you're raising up a lot." From then on I purposely stayed down on every shot until the ball hit the pocket, and like magic I was back on my game. If a player has no instructor nearby, ask a friend to randomly watch a few games at some point without you knowing he/she is watching.

It seems like the people that I shoot with dont really pay attention to what anyone else at the table is doing. That is a great idea though, thank you.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to replace a qualified Instructor & or periodic Coach. We've all heard the phrase, "a picture is worth a thousand word". If that is correct, a good video should be worth a billion words. There is some definite good to be derived from videoing one's-self. By recording a few racks, you cab possibly find a pattern in your shooting performances... Do you miss on one side or the other, more or less? do you come up short on the long or short side more often..? Developing a matrix will answer those questions.
Knowing the answer might help you to focus on those problems when those situations arise.

Give it a try.

Maybe learning some HELP Aids, like "Double the Distance", "See the Pocket", Visualize the "Cue Ball hit on the Object ball hit" & Try to "Roll the Ball", in lieu of "scooting/shooting the Cue Ball".

Do you know your rails systems? Tor Lowry & Manning Cues give great insights into that world, on YouTube. (i.e Corner 5, Plus 2, Sid System (Short Rail & Long Rails")... Jimmy Reid has some good stuff on the rails too...

Learning without learning the "applied knowledge" is like locking up a library, nobody learns that way.

Good Luck

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo! We have a winner, in my opinion. Why isn't this one of the optional answers!!??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post

Most players are not able to figure out their own weaknesses. They will get better faster with some help.

It is! ... IMO by "with some help" Bob means - "hiring an instructor". Included in the top vote.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It is! ... IMO by "with some help" Bob means - "hiring an instructor". Included in the top vote.
Even without an instructor, it can help to ask friends to watch you or to record video of your play. Once you have that second viewpoint, the problem is what to look for.

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an instructor myself, I know that the single most important thing that I have done to improve is take lessons and watch videos. The problem with videos is that you don't get personal feedback. The problem with lessons is that most people just enroll for a day or two and and don't do anything long term. I feel like Virtual Billiard Academy addresses both of those problems nicely, and more importantly, it is affordable. You can get a year of instruction for $500.00 or 6 months for $350.00. We have produced lots of successful students. I have trained a VNEA World Champion, Member of the WPBA Hall of Fame, and various other professional players. Be sure to check out my website: [SIZE="5"]www.poolteacher.com[/SIZE]

If you are curious about the program check out the course video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LxI2ml30c

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anthony...If you're going to blatently advertise your pool school here, how about spending $35 to buy a Gold Membership? It costs you less than $.10/day...

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

As an instructor myself, I know that the single most important thing that I have done to improve is take lessons and watch videos. The problem with videos is that you don't get personal feedback. The problem with lessons is that most people just enroll for a day or two and and don't do anything long term. I feel like Virtual Billiard Academy addresses both of those problems nicely, and more importantly, it is affordable. You can get a year of instruction for $500.00 or 6 months for $350.00. We have produced lots of successful students. I have trained a VNEA World Champion, Member of the WPBA Hall of Fame, and various other professional players. Be sure to check out my website: [SIZE="5"]www.poolteacher.com[/SIZE]

If you are curious about the program check out the course video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LxI2ml30c

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
...and here I thougth I would have to post some canticle about this stuff.... nicely said.

Lesh
Complicit and Clueless

Such a loaded question. It's many things.

You have to seek the knowledge.

You need to put in the practice.

Discipline.

Develop mastery, that is a knowing of you can do this shot, the whole shot w the leave.

Above all else is a passion for the game.

Each one of those has multiple facets.

Where you limit yourself is when you skip or don't do enough of one of those.

I put in tons of practice when I got back into pool about ten years ago or more. Got much, much better. But it wasnt until I consistently played better people that my ability grew.

That was a gaining of knowledge and apply that straight into practice. My philosophy is, if the game isn't for money, it's practice.

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anthony...If you're going to blatently advertise your pool school here, how about spending $35 to buy a Gold Membership? It costs you less than $.10/day...

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott, actually I have an advertisement agreement with Mike Howerton. I am part of the AZBilliards instructional staff. I write for Mike's magazine "Billiards Buzz" You really should check it out. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a Gold Member... is it showing up? I know they have been having problems with it not showing on some people's accounts...

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited: