Jennifer "shot clock" Barretta

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta give JB props for being so perisistent in her pool aspirations.

She's okay to watch if its against another male that plays at a decently fast pace. But if its another female that plays at her pace also, that's when its unbearable.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just put EVERYONE on a shot clock.
Maybe more time for a game like one pocket, but for the other games....60 seconds with ZERO extensions. You fail and you lose your turn.
And as long as this is a topic, I have some other comments.
All games should be played by "Grady's Rules" as outlined in his book...: Call your pocket (doesn't matter how the ball gets there) and if you miss and leave your opponent snookered, your opponent has the option to make you shoot again.
Two big problems solved.

u dont have to be snookered-can make him shoot again in any event after a miss!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of times slow play is a move to take the opponent out of their rhythm and keep them out of stroke

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
as an aside, Jennifer Barretta would have little problem beating most, if not all of us, posting in this thread.

truth :yeah:

best,
brian kc

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pace of a tournament is dictated by two things:

1.) The players respect for the time slot they are given to play their match --- and their earnest effort to complete their match within their given time slot. Yes, matches sometimes go over but the player making the effort is what's important.

2.) The tournament management's enforcement of the time slot allotted to players for their matches (within reason).

Neither of the above are being practiced with any consistency. This goes for both men and women. Players will change their pace if they know that the time slot restriction will be enforced in some way by management. But this has to be enforced for all players, all the time, not just occasionally. I don't think that this means players have to be on the clock at all times. I think management needs to intervene in slow matches earlier, first starting with a warning, like they do in golf. Often, a player doesn't realize how much they've slowed down and actually would appreciate hearing that they need to speed up the pace. It would probably even help their game.

If a player has a history of being consistently slow, then it wouldn't be unreasonable for management to remind them before their match to keep up the pace. Most players do want to cooperate, but you can understand how they must feel if they think they are the only ones having to change their pace while other players who are also slow are getting away with it. That's why it has to be done across the board, all the time.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Objective much?

True.

Yes it happens.
Safety play is excessive with most women. Come up short on position and play safe.
Repeatedly. A safety battle at the 8?
Crazy.

D through B minus players- 8 ball is a safety game as they cant break up clusters, move other balls around etc and run out. If they like winning they have to go w safes and hope their opponent tries to run-out.

A+ and Open players run out- It is too easy of a game for them, truthfully-unless of course you throw in the rounded tiny pockets a la Chinese 8 Ball..

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a shot clock should be a future feature for the DigiCue BLUE... :grin-square:

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jb

Watch how long she takes to pull the trigger once she's down on the ball especially at the end of the match. Looks like she just freezes-up. The lady can play but she just looks so indecisive when it counts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roOKmP1III8

I haven't seen JB play much, but I checked out the link above. I just looked at one rack. Jennifer breaks the balls at 9:55 and pockets a ball. The balls lay ok but there is a tough transition as the four ball is tough to fall on. She makes the one ball, shoots the two to get a good angle on the three, falls well on the four ball short side for a pocket up table, then has to put the four down with some interference with her bridge, and finally mops up the remaining balls in short order. Pockets the 9 ball at 13:20 or so.

3 1/2 minutes for a very smooth break and run. Very little fiddling around between shots. The last few balls she didn't rush, but she absolutely just shot them in.

I've seen horrendously slow play but based on what I just saw my verdict is that JB is doing just fine.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen JB play much, but I checked out the link above. I just looked at one rack. Jennifer breaks the balls at 9:55 and pockets a ball. The balls lay ok but there is a tough transition as the four ball is tough to fall on. She makes the one ball, shoots the two to get a good angle on the three, falls well on the four ball short side for a pocket up table, then has to put the four down with some interference with her bridge, and finally mops up the remaining balls in short order. Pockets the 9 ball at 13:20 or so.

3 1/2 minutes for a very smooth break and run. Very little fiddling around between shots. The last few balls she didn't rush, but she absolutely just shot them in.

I've seen horrendously slow play but based on what I just saw my verdict is that JB is doing just fine.
Its not just the overall speed but how she seems to almost freeze when down on the ball. I've watched Buddy play a lot. He takes his time sizing up a shot but never takes this long to pull the trigger. It looks like indecision to me and she misses tough/key shots because of it. She's not the lone ranger in this regard but she happens to be subject here.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Kaci/Baretta....make a tough scotch dbls team eh ;).
Ugh!!

D through B minus players- 8 ball is a safety game as they cant break up clusters, move other balls around etc and run out. If they like winning they have to go w safes and hope their opponent tries to run-out.

A+ and Open players run out- It is too easy of a game for them, truthfully-unless of course you throw in the rounded tiny pockets a la Chinese 8 Ball..
I meant the 8 in 9ball sorry. It was bad.

The video must be an anomaly.
At the Expo the last 2 yrs anyway, her and a majority of the women players were extremely slow.
Last year stands out in my memory. The mens final was delayed a long while waiting. Finally they started while the women's semis were still going. (JB again)
We put Jen on our own shot clock this yr. before Ref did.
It was nothing like the video in that link.
There's a reason that the women's matches are set up in alternating tables with the men in the arena at the Expo. It hides the truth.
If they were in different rooms or grouped together. The women's stands would be nearly empty.

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BNRs are fast, but its the games that involves safeties. That 3min game becomes a 15min game. Race to 7 becomes 2+ hrs, which is treacherous.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
BNRs are fast, but its the games that involves safeties. That 3min game becomes a 15min game. Race to 7 becomes 2+ hrs, which is treacherous.
Exactly.
.....And BnR's are few and far between it seems.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chezka Centeno from the Phillipines plays FAST. Female version of Shaw.

Top 7 for ladies on fargo(752), so she is very legit.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Chezka Centeno from the Phillipines plays FAST. Female version of Shaw.

Top 7 for ladies on fargo(752), so she is very legit.
I wish dhe was at Expo!
Will definitely show wife her matches.

as an aside, Jennifer Barretta would have little problem beating most, if not all of us, posting in this thread.

truth :yeah:

best,
brian kc
Problem with that logic is you couldn't criticize most athletes.
I can't throw as good as any major leaguer. But if they have a 6.5 ERA I can sure say they stink.
Can't beat anybody on the UFC roster. But some of them really suck at their "profession".
I can't kick a 30 yd field goal.
The list goes on and on for 99% of the population.
Criticism of a Pro is perfectly fine. They put themselves out there.
If nobody cared then they wouldn't make squat. It's not rosy all the time.

JC

Coos Cues
wow what kinda zero phukin jerk off goes on az billiards and says something like this? she beat you?
she beat your boyfriend? she earned her stripes the hard way while some asshole like you sits back and bashes her on the internet after the mods ban me for this post you guys will still be assholes

This is a pool forum to talk about pool stuff. That's what he did. Didn't call her a whore or insult her family. Didn't bash her in any way. Just observed quite correctly that watching her play is mind numbing.

I don't think you should be banned but you ought to take a deep breath and a break from posting.

JC

JC

Coos Cues
That's why it has to be done across the board, all the time.

And the only possible way to accomplish this without someone feeling they were being singled out and picked on is with a time clock. A clock doesn't lie to you but perceptions will.

JC