CTE - A - Outside Pivot - Only for straight shots?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there's a way to find out about all that once and for all.
I've sent you a P.M.

So I don't get the logic. If you beat me in a game that means you know a lot about CTE? I don't follow, especially when you yourself said you don't understand everything about CTE yet... other than you broke 100 in straights using it of course.

Jucas

Registered
So it appears the answer is that a straight in uses the A-inside perception and any cut shot approaching a half ball hit also uses A-inside perception. Well I thought that was the answer but I have trouble with it. I was hoping Jucas would be able to make it work and relate how he did so.

Thanks for the link.

After some more CTE table time, I've found that A with an outside pivot does pot slight angles as well as straight-ins.

There is a point where obviously you have to switch over to the inside pivot when the cut becomes too acute or "not-almost-straight".

I have a lot of difficulties determining when than transition point is though.

Heck, I have a lot of trouble just determining which pivot to use (inside or outside). Right now my process is essentially; get visuals, drop down on the shot (either inside or outside), and try both till either "looks right"... Does not seems like a very objective, or repeatable process though. Any tips?

I was, however, having a hell of a time shooting in a spot shot (CB on foot OB on head spots). I would get what I thought were the right visuals, drop down on the shot, and the inside pivot would way overcut the shot, the outside pivot way undercut.

Could anyone tell me what a proper visual and pivot should be for a spot shot?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was, however, having a hell of a time shooting in a spot shot (CB on foot OB on head spots). I would get what I thought were the right visuals, drop down on the shot, and the inside pivot would way overcut the shot, the outside pivot way undercut.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jucas, this is straight from Stan himself.
The spot shot is made with a 15 inside or a 30 outside.
Enjoy and keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Jucas

Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jucas, this is straight from Stan himself.
The spot shot is made with a 15 inside or a 30 outside.
Enjoy and keep on truckin'
Thanks for that.

I was under the impression that there wasn't a 30 outside because a 15 inside is the same, no?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After some more CTE table time, I've found that A with an outside pivot does pot slight angles as well as straight-ins.

There is a point where obviously you have to switch over to the inside pivot when the cut becomes too acute or "not-almost-straight".

Heck, I have a lot of trouble just determining which pivot to use (inside or outside). Right now my process is essentially; get visuals, drop down on the shot (either inside or outside), and try both till either "looks right"... Does not seems like a very objective, or repeatable process though. Any tips?

Thanks for your honest appraisal...not parsimonious.l.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that.

I was under the impression that there wasn't a 30 outside because a 15 inside is the same, no?
Jucas, this also is straight from Stan at the holy temple of masterful instruction in Kentucky===>"A right hand player typically prefers 30 outsides for right cuts but 15 insides for left cuts. You can back up the cueball a diamond along the same rail and it is still the same shot."
Go thou and crush the enemy! Burn their fields, imprison their oxen, and proclaim to all nations that the temple shall not be violated by the rage of the heathen.
:D
Happy Trails to you.
Roy Rogers and Dale.jpg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Herein lies the problem. You said you are not a math person, but you did describe Poolology pretty well so I know you understand it. When you draw that line through the balls, this connects the ball position on the table with the rails, and the math tells you where to aim to send the ob to the intersection of the rails, the corner pocket.

With CTE, there is no link between the balls on the table and the corner pocket. I know everyone says there is one but I'm sorry, just saying so doesn't cut it. Yes, I've used CTE enough to judge, learned originally from Hal himself, yada yada. Stan says it is a mystery as to how the balls are linked to the pocket as in Poolology. I believe it is not a mystery, that CTE is very explainable and I've provided video evidence in the past to make my points. I can't expand on that because I'm sure heads are already exploding.

Here's the question for you, a new user who doesn't seem to be wed to any particular method yet. IF A-outside works for straight in and also for a shallow (actually anything close to a half ball hit) what do you think is changing from one shot to the next in order to pocket the ob at the new and different angle vs the straight in shot?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the question for you, a new user who doesn't seem to be wed to any particular method yet. IF A-outside works for straight in and also for a shallow (actually anything close to a half ball hit) what do you think is changing from one shot to the next in order to pocket the ob at the new and different angle vs the straight in shot?

Take the training wheels off Dan and actually learn CTE. We all know that any answer you get here you will twist to fit your narrative.

PS you have actually provided zero video evidence of anything CTE

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the training wheels off Dan and actually learn CTE. We all know that any answer you get here you will twist to fit your narrative.

I was addressing someone who still has his objectivity in tact. You've convinced yourself a long time ago of something that is demonstrably false, but you have every right to do so. I know you swear by CTE and that's fine. We all know there is no answer to my question, but I am interested in someone else's take on it. I was interested in your's a long time ago but I already know where you are coming from. You close your eyes and ears and shout "Na na na na na" when video that contradicts your beliefs is presented. It's a pretty common thing, actually. It's related to confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cookieman..........
Perhaps a soliloquy on the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet is forthcoming...."He jests at scars that never felt a wound"
Life goes on............

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Dan, we have had this conversation before. We get that you don't believe in CTE. You don't need to convince anyone.

LET IT GO!

Mike

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan, we have had this conversation before. We get that you don't believe in CTE. You don't need to convince anyone.

LET IT GO!

Mike

OK, fine. It is very easy to get goaded and baited into deeper discussion, which is exactly what happened here. I was really interested in what a new user thought. For the record, I DO BELIEVE that CTE helps some of the people that try it. My only beef is with the "inner workings" of how it is presented.

I'll exit the conversation and the usual suspects can gloat. :cool:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"and try both til either "looks right" will drive you bat crazy with this method of aiming.
I had to unlearn almost 70 years of "mosconi fractions which look right" when I began the CTE journey.....it was totally absurd. Instead of getting better....I got worse. And worse...and worse...to the point I thought the whole idea was nuts.
But I kept watching Stan Shuffett and Landon Shuffett and Steve Moore and Brandon Shuff making those shots over and over and over and I kept saying to myself......."I've got great eyes, a pretty good stroke, lots of miles on a pool table, I've spent good money on the DVD's, and by golly if they can do it then I can learn to do it too". That kept me sustained.
It is a weird method of aiming at first. Then, slowly, almost by osmosis it becomes something that is so natural you think to yourself....."man...this is the cheese on a biscuit...where has it been all my life?"
All I know to tell you is to plod along with blind faith and do what Stan says do and it will some day fall into place. Now when that "some day" is for you, pardner I cannot say...but when it finally clicks, your opposition is going to be flabbergasted!!!!
TELL THEM NOTHING....KEEP IT TO YOURSELF AND WIN THEIR MONEY.
Ignore the naysayers...they contribute nothing to your growth. Like ZERO!
You're in luck because Stan's Truth Series (free on the youtube) and the release of his written epistle is right around the corner....a matter of weeks.
That will be glorious for ALL of us.
As I've stated...I am a student just like you...not an instructor. I'm just posting this as an encouragement thing for you.
Happy Trails :thumbup2:
Roy Rogers and Dale.jpg

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jucas, this also is straight from Stan at the holy temple of masterful instruction in Kentucky===>"A right hand player typically prefers 30 outsides for right cuts but 15 insides for left cuts. You can back up the cueball a diamond along the same rail and it is still the same shot."
Go thou and crush the enemy! Burn their fields, imprison their oxen, and proclaim to all nations that the temple shall not be violated by the rage of the heathen.
Happy Trails to you.
View attachment 495733

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"and try both til either "looks right" will drive you bat crazy with this method of aiming.
I had to unlearn almost 70 years of "mosconi fractions which look right" when I began the CTE journey.....it was totally absurd. Instead of getting better....I got worse. And worse...and worse...to the point I thought the whole idea was nuts.
But I kept watching Stan Shuffett and Landon Shuffett and Steve Moore and Brandon Shuff making those shots over and over and over and I kept saying to myself......."I've got great eyes, a pretty good stroke, lots of miles on a pool table, I've spent good money on the DVD's, and by golly if they can do it then I can learn to do it too". That kept me sustained.
It is a weird method of aiming at first. Then, slowly, almost by osmosis it becomes something that is so natural you think to yourself....."man...this is the cheese on a biscuit...where has it been all my life?"
All I know to tell you is to plod along with blind faith and do what Stan says do and it will some day fall into place. Now when that "some day" is for you, pardner I cannot say...but when it finally clicks, your opposition is going to be flabbergasted!!!!
You're in luck because Stan's Truth Series (free on the youtube) and the release of his written epistle is right around the corner....a matter of weeks.
As I've stated...I am a student just like you...not an instructor. I'm just posting this as an encouragement thing for you.
View attachment 495735

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rh6qqsmxNs

Jucas

Registered
Happy Trails to you.
View attachment 495733

Thanks for that. Ill set up these and give it a go.

Jucas

Registered
Well, I do not know all of the claims of CTE, and I do not really care. As long as the balls go in the hole. I had a fair bit of success using shishkebob for aiming, which was my default shooting technique. So I thought I would try CTE.

It seems to me, that the reason an A-outside pockets both straight in shots and slight angles is a matter of alignment.

The balls are round after all, not flat discs, and if you are aligned with the edge and one of the reference points (a or b), it gives you a certain relative alignment.

You change the reference point, you change the alignment. It is a relative alignment, based on the perception of Center CB and Edge to reference point.

Because the balls are spheres, you are "rotating" (for lack of a better word) around the balls, and then you are essentially applying a 2-dimensional picture onto them. Then you thicken on thin the cut.

Again, I don't know how it exactly works, but that would be my guess.

Herein lies the problem. You said you are not a math person, but you did describe Poolology pretty well so I know you understand it. When you draw that line through the balls, this connects the ball position on the table with the rails, and the math tells you where to aim to send the ob to the intersection of the rails, the corner pocket.

With CTE, there is no link between the balls on the table and the corner pocket. I know everyone says there is one but I'm sorry, just saying so doesn't cut it. Yes, I've used CTE enough to judge, learned originally from Hal himself, yada yada. Stan says it is a mystery as to how the balls are linked to the pocket as in Poolology. I believe it is not a mystery, that CTE is very explainable and I've provided video evidence in the past to make my points. I can't expand on that because I'm sure heads are already exploding.

Jucas

Registered
Hey thanks for the response.

I don't find CTE to be particularly foreign actually.

I am new to pool, and have no qualms trying anything that pockets balls.

I had been using shishkebob for my main aiming method for the last 6th months with good, if not inconsistent success. Before that I tried ghost ball (of course), CJ Wiley TOI, and Hal Houles quarters system.

I'll keep trying CTE and see how it goes.

The question still remains though, how do you determine whether the shot is inside/outside? Experience? Some sort of visual reference?

View attachment 495735

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey thanks for the response.

I don't find CTE to be particularly foreign actually.

I am new to pool, and have no qualms trying anything that pockets balls.

I had been using shishkebob for my main aiming method for the last 6th months with good, if not inconsistent success. Before that I tried ghost ball (of course), CJ Wiley TOI, and Hal Houles quarters system.

I'll keep trying CTE and see how it goes.

The question still remains though, how do you determine whether the shot is inside/outside? Experience? Some sort of visual reference?

The one that is pointing to where the Ghost Ball is.