Custom Cue

Peter 808

Registered
I am fairly new to pool but would like to maybe purchase a custom cue. I see there are good number of AZers who make or sell custom cues. I don't have the money to purchase most of the cues posted so I am looking for some advice on who sells some of the most reasonable custom cues. Thank you in advance for your help.

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
For the not so expensive but great playing cues... I can recommend Dominiak, Jacoby and DZ cues. If you are not looking for something fancy you can get really nice plain cues for around 300$ from many makers. For production cues... I would say Joss, Viking, Pechauer are rather nice.

If you don't really know what you want in a cue yet... maybe you should try different cues to see what you like first, before ordering a custom. Important factors are shaft taper, tip size, balance, weight, type of wrap, type of joint, etc.

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really nice adcock cue in wanted/for sale section

I have seen it a couple times and its a monster cue for the price.

Donny

Banned
I am fairly new to pool but would like to maybe purchase a custom cue. I see there are good number of AZers who make or sell custom cues. I don't have the money to purchase most of the cues posted so I am looking for some advice on who sells some of the most reasonable custom cues. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi, Peter

Buying yourself a custom cue is a wise decision. If you start shooting with a good quality custom cue, you'll never wanna shoot with a production cue ever again. This is exactly how I feel, having shot with mass produced, production cues for many cues and just now shooting with my first custom cue.

I just got my Keith Josey custom Sneaky Pete the mail last Friday. It is an awesome cue and shoots about 1000% better than any custom cue that I've ever shot with. He has a really nice website with lots of cue designs to choose from. The Sneaky Petes are very reasonably priced. The other cues are a little pricey. One of his Plane Jane Sneaky Petes would probably be a perfect starter cue for you and will shoot great. Here's the link to Josey's website. On the bottom of the page, pick which cues you're interested from the list and click the "Show Cues" button. I highly recommend one of his Sneaky Petes. The cheapest Sneaky Pete on his website will shoot just as good as one of the more expensive ones with the fancy artwork.
http://www.joseycues.com/cues.php

Here are some pictures of my Josey Cue. This is one of the fancier sneaky pete cues he makes. His artwork is beautiful and the cues shoot absolutely great. You'll be real happy with a Josey cue.

forearmcloseup2.jpg
JoseyBEM-1.jpg
joseypoints-1.jpg

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Hello there!

I have to agree with others above, even though I'd love to sell you a cue myself.;)

Please try to understand exactly what you want in a cue before you order anything. That is the best piece of advice you can get.

Ask politely to try out the cues of your peers in the local rooms (understand many will say 'no.'). Take notes. Particularly the things you like and dislike.

For example: many cues make a noise at impact. I happen to love that noise, and others do as well; however, at least as many other people DO NOT like there to be ANY noise from their cue- they like a silent hit. You may as well. That is just one example of what you might take a note on...

Shaft diameter: what tip size do you find most comfortable? 99% of the cues out there have a pro taper. BUT, just about every makes has a different pro taper. So, knowing what shaft you played with (and liked) will help ANY cue maker to get the shaft taper the way you want it (although some will not alter their taper).

The tip itself- most players know exactly what tip they are playing, and what diameter they groom it at (nickel or dime). Take note of that as well. Note the differences in feel, the action on the cue ball, the way the tip holds it shape through hours of play etc.

Finally, your size is important. I have a nice chart to assist you in sizing your cue properly on my web site. Standard (these days) is 58 inches long. I am a bit tall, and prefer a 59 inch cue. Maybe you would be more comfortable in a 57 inch cue too. Only you can make these decisions.

There are MANY excellent cue makers out there today, all trying to get your business. So, if you narrow your wants/desires in a cue, the collective here should be able to point you in the right direction. As I essentially said above: just because one person thinks (enter cue maker name here) cues hit great, someone else may not feel the same way, and have another suggestion for you, so you need a bit of background info first.

Now here's the blatant sales pitch from me: I suggest you purchase a properly sized Mace break/jump cue from me. At $325.00 they are an excellent bargain. They happen to play great too, so they are the perfect cue if you have only one. AND, later, when you decide on exactly what you want in a quite probably more expensive playing cue, you will already own an excellent break/jump cue that you wont have to sell off (likely at a slight loss) to try and raise money for the player.

I wish you luck in your search! If you would like any additional information, feel free to PM me any time!:thumbup:

powerlineman80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think first you should snag some pics off the "Cue Gallery" or "Want to Sell" Forums of cues you like then find the ones you like best and go from there. Cues with more inlays or better materials will cost you more.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
I know this is not a popular opinion on this board, but honestly, I would look at some of the high quality production cues instead of the lesser known custom cues. Joss, Schon, Pechauer, and Mezz are currently making some great cues. The older Meucci, McDermott, Falcon, and Adam cues are good as well. I went through the same thing you did and had some "custom" cues that I was not real happy with. I do have several custom cues, but my old Schon, Adam, and Meucci Original all play very well and the quality is great. With some of the newer makers, you'll have issues with uneven points, gaps by the inlays, verneers and glue lines being noticable or off. I don't know of an established cuemaker that wouldn't like to have some of his old work back to fix.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, of course there are exceptions to every rule so don't flame me to bad :D

Jim

joeboxer

WIAWSNB
Silver Member

There is also a couple of cuemakers here that dont post up there cues for sale.
Try KJ Cues, he has some very nice looking plain jane cues in stock at great prices. Send him a pm and ask him for some pics and prices.

Last edited:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Peter

Buying yourself a custom cue is a wise decision. If you start shooting with a good quality custom cue, you'll never wanna shoot with a production cue ever again. This is exactly how I feel, having shot with mass produced, production cues for many cues and just now shooting with my first custom cue.

I just got my Keith Josey custom Sneaky Pete the mail last Friday. It is an awesome cue and shoots about 1000% better than any custom cue that I've ever shot with. He has a really nice website with lots of cue designs to choose from. The Sneaky Petes are very reasonably priced. The other cues are a little pricey. One of his Plane Jane Sneaky Petes would probably be a perfect starter cue for you and will shoot great. Here's the link to Josey's website. On the bottom of the page, pick which cues you're interested from the list and click the "Show Cues" button. I highly recommend one of his Sneaky Petes. The cheapest Sneaky Pete on his website will shoot just as good as one of the more expensive ones with the fancy artwork.
http://www.joseycues.com/cues.php

Here are some pictures of my Josey Cue. This is one of the fancier sneaky pete cues he makes. His artwork is beautiful and the cues shoot absolutely great. You'll be real happy with a Josey cue.

View attachment 100481
View attachment 100482
View attachment 100483

i think keiths cues are a little "busy" but i'd really like to hit a few balls with one of his plane janes. i've yet to hear one person say anything bad about his cues.

his sneakies seem reasonably priced too

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my 2 choices

if u like piloted stainless steel joints = Bob Frey
if you like wood 2 wood joints = BCM Bryan Mordt

aloha.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
You really want to play with cues you buy or try to be sure about weight, balance point, grip diameter, wrap type, shaft diameter and taper, tip and ferrule materials, etc. Without this due diligence, it is really a shot in the dark. Custom cues to a certain extent are what you want. . .If you do not know, they are not that special.

Ideally, you want to play many cues and then make your first attempt. First I would buy a $75 - $250 cue with 1 shaft and see how close you come. Then after a year or so, jump again to a $100 - $400 custom sneaky or similar plain jane. Evaluate what you like and don't like. Then step out again for a player at $400 - $1200. . .and so on. A player type cue is basically the highest level of performance. Above that you are buying what you want artistically from the cue, IMHO.

There are lots of good new and used cues which come up for sale on here. That is a way to cut some cost.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really want to play with cues you buy or try to be sure about weight, balance point, grip diameter, wrap type, shaft diameter and taper, tip and ferrule materials, etc. Without this due diligence, it is really a shot in the dark. Custom cues to a certain extent are what you want. . .If you do not know, they are not that special.

Ideally, you want to play many cues and then make your first attempt. First I would buy a $75 - $250 cue with 1 shaft and see how close you come. Then after a year or so, jump again to a $100 - $400 custom sneaky or similar plain jane. Evaluate what you like and don't like. Then step out again for a player at $400 - $1200. . .and so on. A player type cue is basically the highest level of performance. Above that you are buying what you want artistically from the cue, IMHO.

There are lots of good new and used cues which come up for sale on here. That is a way to cut some cost.

good advice here.....