Votes: 33 40.2%
  • No - I don't hide my speed any time. I always play to win

Votes: 49 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeagueGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that we have the sandbagging poll going, I am just curious as to what people think about Gambling.

Would you hide your true speed in order to get a big spot in a race for a large amount of cash.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Easy for me to answer.

I go all out.

Of course, when you play as poorly as I do, there's no point in trying to hide it! :p

j/k

I'm not into the hustle. It's sandbagging, spelled differently.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
^^^ What they said.
Right now we have some up and comers around town who want to challenge the higher level guys and INSIST on plyaing us even so there is no need to hide our speeds. However, in an unfamiliar place or against an unfamiliar player I hide a little because I assume they will be doing the same to try to get weight they may not need.

Nobody here will admit outloud - they will all just act high/mighty/judgmental. Then you will see the same guys @GUSHING@ I'm the "hustling disguise" thread about all the great tricks they and their friends used to pull.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
An analogy:
When I'm playing poker, I want the worst players in the world at my table. I'm not trying to win a trophy for being the best player, I'm just trying to win the cash! That is, after all, the point.

I'll take as many balls and/or games on the wire as you want to give me. If I end up going home with your money, I'll still feel good about it. Just my opinion.

nelldrake

Waterskier/pool addict
Silver Member
Hide my speed?

Apparently, my speed is always hidden. Even I can't find it!
Seriously, I don't play for money but for the love of the game. I play anybody who will give me a game even. If they are better players and I win, I feel like I like I have really done something and it boosts my conficence and I love it. If I get beat (and usually do) I learn from the better player and that is my reward.
I don't really have anything against gambling. It just doesn't appeal to me.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
azbluemach1...Again you come with the "everybody does it (whether they will admit it or not), so it's ok" philosophy. That may work for you, but it speaks volumes about your integrity...or lack thereof. Hiding your speed, to get a spot in a money game, is hustling plain and simple. To some that may be okay, but for me...I have more moral character than that. Among two guys trying to "hustle" each other...let the buyer beware! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Nobody here will admit outloud - they will all just act high/mighty/judgmental. Then you will see the same guys @GUSHING@ I'm the "hustling disguise" thread about all the great tricks they and their friends used to pull.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the real question one must ask themselves is this - how much money is worth risking your life over? Hustling for any amount of cash can lead to a physical confrontation and really, that's the first thing on my list of things to avoid. I'm on the opposite side of the gambling spectrum. I play straight up. When I lose, I pay. When I win, I take care of the table time and offer to buy my opponent a drink. I think it's of the utmost importance to be polite no matter the outcome and hustling contradicts that in every manner.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap, tap, tap!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I think the real question one must ask themselves is this - how much money is worth risking your life over? Hustling for any amount of cash can lead to a physical confrontation and really, that's the first thing on my list of things to avoid. I'm on the opposite side of the gambling spectrum. I play straight up. When I lose, I pay. When I win, I take care of the table time and offer to buy my opponent a drink. I think it's of the utmost importance to be polite no matter the outcome and hustling contradicts that in every manner.

InTheCloudzzz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you hide your true speed in order to get a big spot in a race for a large amount of cash.

Definitely! Making the game is a significant part of who wins the match and how much speed you show beforehand directly effects the matchmaking process. I don't understand why you should be obligated to play your absolute best all the time if you choose not to (whatever the reason may be).

IMO, disguising one's play is an inherent part of the game (as it is in poker) and is possibly the most important skill one can have if the objective is to win (referring to gambling of course).

And I believe "hustling" is one of the most appealing aspects of the game that should in no way be shunned in the attempt to make pool appear to be something it is not.

Again, just my opinion.

Ryan

chris_25

Registered
Hiding your true speed in a money game isn't gambling. It's hustling.

well I guess I'm a Hustler then because I'll had my true speed everytime I play someone I don't know for cash or not. very few times have i ever showed my true speed when gambling. Because if you win they always want a spot next time you play.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
me - play all out....don't care if I get your money or not. I know for some, it's ALL about the money, I get that, but some do play this game for the competition (the challenge). Would it be easy to play a couple of balls lower, say in 1P, and take advantage of someone (even over an extended period of time), sure. But, what does that really make you? A good gambler? OK, but what about your game? I'd rather play someone and TEST myself; maybe even taking less or giving more spot than what makes an even game. I'm not playing to pay my mortgage. I have a job that does that. I want to compete.

Hustling can be fun and a rush in itself for some. There is just no appeal there for me. Ha ha, I tricked you, I'd think would get a bit old. For those who count on hustling income to get by....fine, do it, but a hustler is bound to be hustled; have fun walking that line. I'll play for a chunk of change now and then, but I won't play for anything that will sting all that much, and I don't like playing for something that I know/think will put my opponent in a bad way. The stories of how this guy BUSTS that guy....I couldn't do it. NO WAY! I feel bad winning more than a few games off of a local older gentleman on a limited income (his idea on the betting, and will get mad if we don't). I enjoy playing him so much though, like Jude, I usually pick up table time, a few drinks, and something to eat.

sorry, for the long post, just thought an explanation was needed instead of saying, YES, I hide my speed; or NO, I do not. :cool:

azbluemach1...Again you come with the "everybody does it (whether they will admit it or not), so it's ok" philosophy. That may work for you, but it speaks volumes about your integrity...or lack thereof.

Scott - your reading comprehension sucks bro. I wasn't endorsing it by any stretch, I was pointing out the impending and inevitable hypocrisy about to be shown in this forum. In fact, if you actually bothered to READ my league post, you would have caught the part about where I always play 100% except for one time I did hustle a guy once when I was 17, and I gave the money back. That speaks volumes of my integrity and I would bet my case $$ you couldn't say the same.

My people reading skills suck, too. I used to think you were a pretty cool guy. :p

Last edited:

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Now that we have the sandbagging poll going, I am just curious as to what people think about Gambling.

I have always played all out, I'm a slow starter to get it together making the balls, so everyone jumps on me , but I do get better as it goes along, lots better, so thats why I play by the game, play cheap and gradually raise the bet or my opponent does, so at the end neither one of us are pissed at the other over any monies lost or won.

My hustle is no hustle, works great!

David Harcrow

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually my reading skills are excellent. I test out at 18th grade level (that's a master's degree level...just below PhD). I used to think you were okay too...until some of your latest threads and posts, which undermine, imo, your sense of fair play and integrity. That's okay...it takes all kinds, huh?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

My people reading skills suck, too. I used to think you were a pretty cool guy. :p

Last edited: