Stupid Stupid Stupid - Another Botched Runout

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont know when i am ever going to learn. i hose up soooo many runouts by ignorance, and being out of position by about an inch at times.

below is a spread i had earlier tonight after a break shot. the kind that makes my eyes light up, i dont get chances like this too often. so, what do i do? without paying any attention i shoot the '1' Ball into the corner pocket, and stun the cue ball there. once i get down there (Point A) i realize that wasnt the shot to play. i now have a very thin cut into the corner on the '2' Ball, and its a perfect scratch into the side pocket.

anyway, i miss the thin cut on the '2', and thats that. if i would have taken 10 seconds to walk down and check out the spread i would have realized i would have needed just a little draw on the initial shot, to bring the cue ball back to Point B which gave me the angle i needed on the '2' Ball to get to the '4' Ball. just a wee bit of draw is all it would have taken!

I dont know what is wrong with me sometimes...........

DCP

CueTable Help

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
You really need to stop being so hard on yourself. If you can't get the grey matter in check you're not going to be able to have enough confidence to play better.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I would agree with that. Improvement doesn't come quick, it takes months or even years of practice to step up a level (like from c to b) this cannot be achieved in a matter of weeks. Having said that, you certainly seem to care alot about how you play. Maybe if you think you've hit a ceiling in your development, you could go for some lessons. Or try to play considerably stronger opponents. You might find that they are in some cases not a much beteer player mechanically, just much more composed around the table. Also try to figure out when to play safe. I do it whenever I'm not 80-90% sure I'll make the ball, unless it's the 9 then more like 75%.

gr. Dave

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Questions and Suggestions

First, there are lots of ways to get out there. Why would you even attempt the 2 with such a think cut. You would have to kill your cue
some to hold for the 4.

Instead, you could have:

1) 1 looks like it culd have been thrown to outside of pocket, and draw
cue bqck between 4 and 2.
2) Or, you could have just shot 4 caddy corner to where you shot the 1.
3) Or, you could have shot the 5, held the cue for the 7, or even followed
up for shape of the 7, this would put you in position for shape on the 6.
If you held the cue for the 7, you could always shoot the 2 if you missed shape on 6. After 2, you could either shoot the 4 or 6, 6 preferred because then you get shape on 4, and just follow a bit for the 8.

Don't 'lock' yourself into 1 sequence of running the balls, be flexible, evaluate after EACH shot what is best for the RUN.

Playing shape is 70% of the game - Jimmy Caras, 3 times World Champion, 1962.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
Maybe the diagram doesn't show the longtitudinal position of the 1 in relation to the 2 that accurately,but if it does and if the 1 was really that much nearer to the end rail than the 2 and if you feel that you couldn't see in a nanosecond without walking down the table that some kind of a draw back as opposed to a stun would therefore be needed to avoid leaving a thin cut on the 2............. then maybe it's not your temperament or run out shot selection that's the problem..............just a pair of glasses or contact lenses needed,lol !

Last edited:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren would grin and scratch the back of his neck, then get down and cut the 2 in the side, going two rails for the 4 in the upper right corner.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did you do after you got to A? I would have banked the 2 trying to hide it in the middle of the head rail behind the 8 and leave the CB at the far end of that table for my opponent to worry about.

This run out doesn't look as easy to me as you make it sound, no matter where you are on the 2. At least not with my skill set.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Bank that sucker cross side, hold the cueball, slight cut the four in the same side pocket, play the five down corner bank the 6 cross side, work what the table gives you I would have played safe from here on the 7 down table parked the cue behind the 9.

Black Cat

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
JohnnyP said:
Efren would grin and scratch the back of his neck, then get down and cut the 2 in the side, going two rails for the 4 in the upper right corner.

Chuck Norris would've round house kicked his opponent, then cut the 2 in the OTHER side pocket letting the cue ball masse (no rails) into the 9ball, cutting it into the corner pocket, ending the game before the oppenent's unconcious body even hit the floor.

............ :eek:

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
You ever think that you are concentrating on the wrong things when you are at the table? Sounds like you ponder a LOT on a) remembering what the table looks like if you run out or b) remembering what the table looks like if you DON'T run out.

Like it was said before, you are putting way too much pressure on yourself but it also sounds like to me you are more worried about the future rather than focusing on the task at hand.

APA7

STRAIGHT POOL SUPERMAN
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
First, there are lots of ways to get out there. Why would you even attempt the 2 with such a think cut. You would have to kill your cue
some to hold for the 4.

Instead, you could have:

If you held the cue for the 7, you could always shoot the 2 if you missed shape on 6. After 2, you could either shoot the 4 or 6, 6 preferred because then you get shape on 4, and just follow a bit for the 8.

Don't 'lock' yourself into 1 sequence of running the balls, be flexible, evaluate after EACH shot what is best for the RUN.

Playing shape is 70% of the game - Jimmy Caras, 3 times World Champion, 1962.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, you do this all the time.:rolleyes:

THEY'RE PLAYIN 9 BALL.:eek:

Brian

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA7 said:
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, you do this all the time.:rolleyes:

Brian

D'OH!!!

DCP- I will say what I have said before: The shot you left yourself, this time on the 2, is makeable. In fact, it is a good shot.

pharaoh68

Banned
I think with this layout, plus the fact that you are slightly underneath the 2 ball, the right play would have been the two in the side. Your cue ball would travel two rails and leave multiple uptable possibilities for the 4 ball.

Next time, take heed to your own advice (based on afterthought) and take a look at the table before shooting the 1. Your best bet would have been to roll up a bit on the 1 (follow) and play the 2 in the bottom side. Its a stop shot so your next shot would be the 4 ball in the top side pocket. The 5 ball would be in the top left corner and you could proceed from there.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
LOL - duh ....

What can I say, I guess I just naturally assumed that any player that would shoot a stun shot on the 1 and not know you had to draw for the 2 would have just been playing 8 ball --- There first game they tried to learn..... lol (one of those brain farty things I guess ...)

Yes, when you screw up (and all players do, me included), you have to make recovery shots, and they are harder to play usually, which means you should take some extra care in shooting them to get yourself back in alignment for the run.

The best way to recover from an error is not to make it to begin with ---
Look the damn table over better before playing your first shot. You probably got excited at the table and didn't give due consideration before
playing the 1.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA7 said:

Brian

How do you know??? They could have been playing 8 ball, nine ball, straight pool, etc.? or is this just another assumption??? But it was a good assumption.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
some to hold for the 4.

Instead, you could have:

LOL!!!! Great advice.... for 8-ball!!

Fred <~~~ thought it was 9-ball

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tennesseejoe said:
How do you know??? They could have been playing 8 ball, nine ball, straight pool, etc.? or is this just another assumption??? But it was a good assumption.

When the poster writes:

DCP said:
below is a spread i had earlier tonight after a break shot.
then it's no longer an assumption.

Fred

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
i dont know when i am ever going to learn. i hose up soooo many runouts by ignorance, and being out of position by about an inch at times.

below is a spread i had earlier tonight after a break shot. the kind that makes my eyes light up, i dont get chances like this too often. so, what do i do? without paying any attention i shoot the '1' Ball into the corner pocket, and stun the cue ball there. once i get down there (Point A) i realize that wasnt the shot to play. i now have a very thin cut into the corner on the '2' Ball, and its a perfect scratch into the side pocket.

anyway, i miss the thin cut on the '2', and thats that. if i would have taken 10 seconds to walk down and check out the spread i would have realized i would have needed just a little draw on the initial shot, to bring the cue ball back to Point B which gave me the angle i needed on the '2' Ball to get to the '4' Ball. just a wee bit of draw is all it would have taken!

I dont know what is wrong with me sometimes...........

DCP

CueTable Help

Learn how to make a ball....and then worry about position.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
try drawing off the rail.

1...it's more forgiving.
2...you'd be rolling your cb INTO the position zone and away from the rail.

Attachments

• another.jpg
    another.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 67