Huge Action Alex Pagulayan vs Justin Hall LIVE July 31 who do you guys like ?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ball picks up speed off the rail??

I heard a commentator say that yesterday that the CB picked up a little speed after hitting the rail. That would break about 30 laws of physics i think. If you had 2 rails like that with a ball bouncing back and forth, you'd have perpetual motion and eventually the ball would be going 100mph or jumping the table whichever came first.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard a commentator say that yesterday that the CB picked up a little speed after hitting the rail. That would break about 30 laws of physics i think. If you had 2 rails like that with a ball bouncing back and forth, you'd have perpetual motion and eventually the ball would be going 100mph or jumping the table whichever came first.

I am familiar with that on the diamond. Maybe 'pick up speed' is a misnomer, but the bed speed: rail speed ratio ican feel way off.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why that error message keeps happening, but a workaround is
-take picture
-go to picture gallery (aka:album)
-take screenshot of picture
-upload (screenshot) picture via paperclip button on azb.

Thanks- i cropped it and it took- That paperclip button is the only way to post a pic, No? i didnt see a little camera Ikon unless i missed it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

It’s a relative point of view....a wet rail banks quicker and shorter than a dry table.
...so that relationship of making a bank and parking whitey gets messed up in a player’s
mind.....they missed a bunch of banks short....but whitey didn’t get to where they wanted
because wet bed cloth plays slow.

Fast rails and wet bedcloth is the bane of cue ball control.

...but they’ll keep adjusting

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a relative point of view....a wet rail banks quicker and shorter than a dry table.
...so that relationship of making a bank and parking whitey gets messed up in a player’s
mind.....they missed a bunch of banks short....but whitey didn’t get to where they wanted
because wet bed cloth plays slow.

Fast rails and wet bedcloth is the bane of cue ball control.

...but they’ll keep adjusting

I totally understand that-if a table is wet but nothing 'picks up speed' off the rail EVER as they often say and i wonder how a table gets significantly wet with the AC on.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I totally understand that-if a table is wet but nothing 'picks up speed' off the rail EVER as they often say and i wonder how a table gets significantly wet with the AC on.
I agree except for example when you have running english then it's possible. Like when coming out of a corner with inside on the ball.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree except for example when you have running english then it's possible. Like when coming out of a corner with inside on the ball.

Well that would aid speed but i think friction etc would be the bigger forces and there would be no true increase however i am not a scientist-perhaps i will ask DR Dave.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are Live at Diamond Billiards in Cape Coral for Day 2...

Hollywood Justin Hall vs The Lion Alex Pagulayan 8 Ahead!

Day One ended with a score of 13-8, with Alex +5 lead going into today, Check out the continuing Epic action and get your sweat on, Passes available at www.PoolActionTV.com

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 564

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks- i cropped it and it took- That paperclip button is the only way to post a pic, No? i didnt see a little camera Ikon unless i missed it.

A pic that doesn't have a web address had to be via paperclip, I doodoo believe.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Like I said, it’s only relative...it comes off quicker than usual......
...if it actually increased in speed, it would be against the second law of thermodynamics...
...and would cause consternation in science circles.....:eek:

A pool hall is not a home...very tough to keep dry....big space, doors opening a lot.
I remember our best banker when I was a kid...he missed a bank short...looked up..said
“It must be raining.”.....somebody moved the curtain and looked out...it was raining.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said, it’s only relative...it comes off quicker than usual......
...if it actually increased in speed, it would be against the second law of thermodynamics...
...and would cause consternation in science circles.....:eek:

A pool hall is not a home...very tough to keep dry....big space, doors opening a lot.
I remember our best banker when I was a kid...he missed a bank short...looked up..said
“It must be raining.”.....somebody moved the curtain and looked out...it was raining.

The second law would be intact. But we would get bent out of shape about the first law....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The second law would be intact. But we would get bent out of shape about the first law....

It’s tough when you’re a high school drop-out....
...some further study may be required on my part. :embarrassed2:

...or maybe you could elaborate, sir
...gonna read about entropy later on tonight....first time in a lot of years

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pool ball can have a combination of linear (translational) momentum and angular (rotational spin) momentum. When hitting the rail, friction can cause some of the angular momentum to be converted to linear momentum (thus the ball picks up linear speed, but loses spin).

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s tough when you’re a high school drop-out....
...some further study may be required on my part. :embarrassed2:

...or maybe you could elaborate, sir
...gonna read about entropy later on tonight....first time in a lot of years

lol

Entropy is not involved in this one....

A ball sliding into a cushion and coming off faster that it went in is a violation of the conservation of energy, which is the FIRST law of thermodynamics. That would be a perpetual motion machine of the first kind. [imagine a frictionless air-hockey table where the puck goes back and forth picking up speed each time. Now if you introduce enough friction to keep the impact speed the same--i.e., slow the speedy puck up before each collision-- and harness the heat from the friction, the energy crisis is solved.]

There are other scenarios that DO violate the second law and involve entropy.

If the ball is spinning into a rail then as pacecar said, there is also spinning energy that in principle could add to speed. But isn't the friction force directed in the wrong direction? i.e., up?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see 3 things going on.

1) Justin is struggling with banks I can guarantee he isn't even considering as shots he would miss.

2) Justin is hanging balls without getting his cue ball safe.

3) The table isn't too tight or playing too short for Alex.

I don't think Alex is stealing, he's gotta take his time and play well to win. When he was up 7 games and Justin sold out, he got loose and lost his momentum.
Did Alex really come within one missed shot on the 11 ball of winning the hill game when he was 7 up, as someone posted late last night?

Last edited:

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member

The rail has "potential energy" that is imparted on the ball. Same as how the cue ball picks up speed when you hit an object ball thinly. They eventually stop due to static friction and gravity. They would keep going in a vacuum. The more you know...