Billy Incardona - Short Rant

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Jeremy is a prideful guy. I've known him a long time. He's not ever going to get in the booth without knowing all the facts about the match. If he doesn't know he will seek to understand. One of the smartest guys I know.

Jeremy Jones is awesome in the booth for one pocket!! He gives you 3 options every shot. You just can't ask for more than that...

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Very well said Lou.

Just a couple of quick comments:

Billy is one of the best commentators in pool and when teamed with Grady they were one of the best commentary teams in sports.

Regardless of who is doing the commentary at an event they should aspire to something approaching professionalism, absent rooting for a particular player, or ridiculing a player based upon their name, appearance, or ethnicity.

In that vein, commentators should try and do a bit of due diligence and before a match and learn: what are the rules, what’s the format, how do you pronounce a player’s name, which ball is which coIor. That is baseline stuff. Beyond that they should try and learn a bit of background on the players in a match beforehand.

I believe Bobby revealed part of the problem: the number of hours they are in the booth — nine hours. Are you kidding me? Having done commentary myself several times I can tell you that your brain is pretty much toast after a couple of matches. You at least need a break.

And one last comment: no one should be allowed in the booth after consuming alcohol or even worse, allowed to drink in the booth. There are pool commentators that do that, thinking they can get away with it, but they cannot and it is clear to the listeners they’re intoxicated.

Like I said, aspire to something approaching professionalism. Shouldn't be hard.

Lou Figueroa

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I like the old stories/reflections from commentators...I don't mind the younger players and hangers-on that commentate from time to time, but our sport's history will die off if it weren't for these older guys keeping it out there. I'm constantly amazed at how many players I run into that have never even heard of Kim Davenport or Jim Rempe. They can name three or four Filipino players, but not more than two HOF'ers.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Everyone in the pool world are getting too PC for my taste. Were not all running for office or looking for a good job in pool...if there is one. Johnnyt

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lumocolor, Aren't you doing the same thing with this remark about the elderly...

Can't expect too much out of some commentators that are mostly in their late 70's and were raised in a time of high racism.

Some of these old timers probably think that the Ko's grandfather was responsible for pearl harbor because they're asian.

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to keep this real and apologize before hand in the event that I hurt some ones feelings.

Did I say something stupid when I referred to Pin as Ping and then without thinking added pong..yes.

Did I intentionally make that statement knowing it was bordering what some would misinterpret as a racial comment..Absolutely not.

Am I sorry that I made that comment..yes I am
, however, in no way was it directed as a racial slur and those who know me, and my track record as not only a commentator but also as a human being knows that I would never say that with under

tones of such.

I would like to apologize to first, any one that felt that what I said was one of a racist. I also would like to apologize to Mark Griffin and Justin Collet, two people that I hold in the highest regard for who they are and for what they stand for and accomplished. I would also like to add that I really appreciate all the people that supported me and their understanding on this highly controversial subject.
For what it's worth, I in no way am upset or angry with the people that accused me of making a racial comment, however, maybe a little dissapointed that they would imply that because if they truly knew me or my history they would know that that's not me. Sorta falls under the same line of thinking that all commenttors should know importnt facts about the players that are playing

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy ------->>> one of the best !!!

I for one always look forward to it if I know you're going to be commentating.
As you are one of the best we have. Thanks for all the knowledge, stories, and
laughs you've given us over the years. You're real don't change that for anybody !

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
It's time to rebuild the team.

Time to try out new blood. All I hear is everyone wants to change the face of pool, it's time for change in the commentary dept.

I am not a media mogul but it's time for tryouts.
Voice overs, Delivery, patience, photogenic, vocabulary, experience. etc.etc.

Putting aside the obvious candidates, have job applicants watch a recorded match with no sound and commentate. With today's technology you don't have to be there. Applicants could do it at home and send it to you. You never know what you may find. Movies and Stars win academy awards, or rocket to stardom from being an unknown. This can be done with little effort.

It can be difficult to tell the guy with 50 years experience and seniority in a company that it's time to retire, but it's time to retire. Stop by the job site, tell a story or two when the time is right, It is always great to see you.

I try to do my part, I appreciate, respect and commend all that is being done to keep pool alive by a few people, without them pool is going to be a memory.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm going to keep this real and apologize before hand in the event that I hurt some ones feelings.

Did I say something stupid when I referred to Pin as Ping and then without thinking added pong..yes.

Did I intentionally make that statement knowing it was bordering what some would misinterpret as a racial comment..Absolutely not.

, however, in no way was it directed as a racial slur and those who know me, and my track record as not only a commentator but also as a human being knows that I would never say that with under

tones of such.

I would like to apologize to first, any one that felt that what I said was one of a racist. I also would like to apologize to Mark Griffin and Justin Collet, two people that I hold in the highest regard for who they are and for what they stand for and accomplished. I would also like to add that I really appreciate all the people that supported me and their understanding on this highly controversial subject.
For what it's worth, I in no way am upset or angry with the people that accused me of making a racial comment, however, maybe a little dissapointed that they would imply that because if they truly knew me or my history they would know that that's not me. Sorta falls under the same line of thinking that all commenttors should know importnt facts about the players that are playing

Well Done,
I have watched NUMEROUS events with Billy announcing,
ALL HIGHEST Professional manor,
absolute quality and never any racial comments

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

tones of such.

If he wasn't Asian and you made the same comment no one on here would be saying a word. My last name is Marshall and I remember my drill instructor calling me marshmellow, he was black and I am white, was it racist? haha, I didn't think so, it was a play on my name was all.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tones of such.

For what it's worth, I in no way am upset or angry with the people that accused me of making a racial comment, however, maybe a little dissapointed that they would imply that because if they truly knew me or my history they would know that that's not me. Sorta falls under the same line of thinking that all commenttors should know importnt facts about the players that are playing[/QUOTE

Thanks for clearing it up. Only hope when some of these keyboard critics are in their 70's they start to learn how quickly the memory starts to leave us.
THanks Billy for all the great hours that u given us in the booth, and the stories, the laughs. that most would have never heard about.

hugs
mrs.g

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's time to rebuild the team.

Time to try out new blood. All I hear is everyone wants to change the face of pool, it's time for change in the commentary dept.

I am not a media mogul but it's time for tryouts.
Voice overs, Delivery, patience, photogenic, vocabulary, experience. etc.etc.

Putting aside the obvious candidates, have job applicants watch a recorded match with no sound and commentate. With today's technology you don't have to be there. Applicants could do it at home and send it to you. You never know what you may find. Movies and Stars win academy awards, or rocket to stardom from being an unknown. This can be done with little effort.

It can be difficult to tell the guy with 50 years experience and seniority in a company that it's time to retire, but it's time to retire. Stop by the job site, tell a story or two when the time is right, It is always great to see you.

I try to do my part, I appreciate, respect and commend all that is being done to keep pool alive by a few people, without them pool is going to be a memory.

Noticed you left out KNOWLEDGE, LOL

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual billy comes out with the classy move..dont fall into it billy most of these guys are way too sensitive

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Disrespectful

If he wasn't Asian and you made the same comment no one on here would be saying a word. My last name is Marshall and I remember my drill instructor calling me marshmellow, he was black and I am white, was it racist? haha, I didn't think so, it was a play on my name was all.

I watched the stream and was bothered by the ping pong comment but there were several others that were out of line as well. To me, it was not a racist comment but Very disrespectful to not know the names of the players. There are 16 players from around the world and these guys cant learn the names of three or four players that they didnt already know?

I dont know who the target audience is but if we are ever going to get the youth involved in pool we need to show some respect.

No one under the age of 30 knows anything about the guys in the booth other than the stories of "How good I was back in the day". Who cares?!

Maybe if they would have taken the time to learn the players names and a little about them they would have had their $$ on the right guy.

Just my thoughts,
Gordon

Lenny,

You are overlooking one very important fact; If he wasn't Asian then Incardona wouldn't have made the same comment. He made the comment because of the player being Asian.

ONB

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's ok

to begin with, I AM asian, and I was first a bit offended when I read about the "ping pong" comment.........However, after seeing B.I.'s apology and explanation, I do accept it as an unintended slip that could be misunderstood.

I have been a fan of Mr. Incardona's as commentator, with his pool world experience and knowledge, and particularly after that classic commentary segment on one of my Accu-Stats tapes where Grady supposedly had beaten Buddy Hall something like 10-0 in a tournament, and proceeded to state that he (Grady) was probably the greatest 9-ball player in the world at that moment,
after which Billy laughed and revealed that he then proceeded to lose his next 2 matches, if I remember correctly...... That was so amusing and funny, especially when Grady was obviously embarrassed and started protesting Billy's account of that incident.....

bobbycotton

PoolHall Junkie
Silver Member
Sometimes when the balls are all laying there hanging by the pockets and there isn't much to say about what the player should or will do i like to joke around a little or talk about some older champion that I think deserves to be mentioned, i like keeping their memory alive, Cornbread Red for example. Oh well I guess a few people don't like that but I wish I could keep everyone happy. Sorry if I've ever offended anybody ever. Billy and I was having fun in the booth trying to make it fun for y'all too :)