Mark Wilson Pool Clinc on YouTube

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched all three parts yesterday and all I can say is WOW!

I have Marks book "Play Great Pool" number 1 of 1000 and enjoyed reading it.
However I fall into the group of being a visual learner. These videos helped me to better understand Chapter 3.

Thanks Mark and hope you continue to produce more videos of different chapters of your book.

John :)

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing. Watched them and thought they were very informative.

As previous poster said, I am also a visual learner. Always wished that he would come out with a video version/companion for his book, which, IMHO, is really great.

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that watching videos like this helps fine tune previous experiences like reading his book, lessons with Scott, etc. Alway keeps me focused for some time after. Thanks for posting.

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Watched both yesterday, actually backwards and all I can say is "wow". I also have his book, but as one other said, visual is much better.....everyone needs to see this, even if you're an advanced player.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for providing that information. Time very well spent!! Looking for that wall.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
That's really good stuff, I took two things from that I think can help improve my shot making.

The slowed backswing. I can look back at times I've played better and know I was doing this an other times not so much.

The stance. I know I'm making enough room but think I can tweak it a little to deliver a straighter stroke. Gonna have to video that.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
do You guys recommend his book?

I really enjoyed it and feel like I got (am still getting) a lot out of it.

Perhaps the best testimonial is that I’ve loaned it to a couple of people and usually they end up buying their own copy.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really interesting stuff about the time to stroke. Less than .5 sec from the beginning of pull-back to cue ball contact for amateurs, but 1.5 sec for pros.

But I can’t help but wonder why. What is it about the slower backswing and/or pause that improves accuracy?

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really interesting stuff about the time to stroke. Less than .5 sec from the beginning of pull-back to cue ball contact for amateurs, but 1.5 sec for pros.

But I can’t help but wonder why. What is it about the slower backswing and/or pause that improves accuracy?

From a sports psychology standpoint, and I am only guessing here, I would expect it is due to consistency and repeatability. Like kicking a field goal or shooting free throws, players want a practiced and defined pattern each time. Consider a 0.2 second variation in the example you listed. One would be a 40% change to the norm while the pro would be 13%.

You could also assert that almost no one can shoot accurately in <0.3 seconds. With regular variation, the amateur would shoot this often 1:1000 shots while the pro would never.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Try it.
The longer you stare at that shot before the last stroke, the slower the final stroke will be . And your pause at the back will be longer too.
It quiets the brain and the eyes.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched them too. Good stuff. It just makes sense that if you rush your stroke the momentum of your cue/arm will be more likely to throw you out of line.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, very good info. Transition speed and pause is critical, and well documented in golf. Just as important, in pool.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

It's not as jerky, it's much more smooth and deliberate.

I remember my golf game improving when I developed this in my swing. Same exact thing. Took this video to remind me.

“Ladies and gentlemen” <— that!

Thank you for posting the video links.

That's it, like I said before, I can recognize the times I played well and had a slower stroke. That's a huge tip for me. I'm gonna practice that non-stop. It's slow, deliberate and accurate, but still with rhythm.