Take a breather and enjoy the beauty of this game...

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The link, below, was posted on another thread that only about 390 people visited. What a missed post! I'm reposting it here as a reminder of what this beautiful game really gives us.

The entire universe of physics, philosophy, physiology, psychology, sex, business, ethics, religion, morality, the biggest picture, the smallest picture, everything in between, life and death, and the resulting happiness are dramatically expressed by this short video.

Watch it and recognize the senseless b/s that has recently penetrated this forum for what it is. Take a breather as all the bad just disappears and all the good comes forth. Bask in it and be thankful that we live in a prosperous enough time and place and are healthy enough to be able to experience pool.

http://www.bskunion.at/efler/Faszin...ows_Media_9.wmv

Bob Jewett explains: The video that the clip is from was shot and produced by a group in Austria. I think the player was Andreas Efler. The part of the cue ball that rubs on the cloth is heated and the cloth is heated in masse shots.

Now, don't you feel better?

Jeff Livingston

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
That was just awesome. A clip like that as a commercial on TV would get alot of interest into the game. It does make the game look far more rich then most peoples view of bar pool on a friday night while drinking some beers. This game gets a raw deal as it can be quite the work of art.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Ok, my meds are getting to me...... What does Truncated mean exactly?

Mj

Actually now that you mention it, it didn't get truncated as truncated means it is cut off at the end. In this case something was removed from the middle and ... substituted. I don't know what would be the right word for that. "abbreviated"?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Ok, my meds are getting to me...... What does Truncated mean exactly?

Mj

Shortened or cut down, yes? Check out the vid it is cool. And the page can be viewed in english. There is the option on the bottom left of the left menu.

Jersey

Clickin' & Clackin'
Silver Member
Thanks for that, chefjeff, and your right...this game is beautiful when you know and understand what's going on!...and I agree that TV commercials with great images like that would really spur interest...this game needs a more polished presentation...it is a 'Gentlemans' game after all...made my day...can't wait to get on the cloth this weekend...

some people like their greens in links, I prefer my greens 50x100...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
http://www.bskunion.at/efler/Faszination_Dreiband_Windows_Media_9.wmv

Wow that is the best camera work I have ever seen. I think that I can put up the whole link.
There are seven sections in the free clip:

1. Flying Cue Ball Hitting Cushion. You can see the spin change nearly instantly on the cushion and the cushion penetration.

2. 3-Cushion Follow Shot in Infrared. You can see hot spots where the first object ball rubs on the cloth. Also, the cue ball hops as it bounces back from the rail, leaving a series of hot spots.

3. Tip Hitting Ball. You can see the tip emitting a cloud of chalk even before it hits the cue ball, and afterwards, oh, my is there a cloud. You can also see tip compression, and the tip riding around the cue ball as spin goes on, which is the thing that causes squirt. There is only one tip contact.

4. Jump Shot With Follow. Does the tip hit a second time? See the stick wiggle after the shot.

5. Masse From Behind. Notice the hot spots as the cue ball is hopping as it leaves the tip. Note how the cloth is heated by the cue ball -- the path is a parabola. There is a hot ring around the cue ball where it has been rubbing on the cloth, most noticible just after the peak of the parabola.

6. Running With The Balls. Just like Pamplona.

7. Ball Meets Cushion. See the dust fly. You can also see the cushion penetration again.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Great stuff!

Really nice, thanks for posting that! Do you notice how the sliding spin shot (At 01:20) goes into the rail with right spin but appears to exit with no spin at all? Of course from that angle you cannot tell how much the direction of the cue ball was changed by the impact.

The cue tip deformation at 00:37 is pretty impressive.

Any order the DVD yet? (Bob Jewett I'm looking at you)

shoutout33

"The Emperor"
Silver Member
Man that was so pretty. :D Relaxing is an uderstatement. You can actually do that to a billiards ball?!? Man I need to get a cue. :p