New slide show/video on YouTube

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just uploaded a video to YouTube that contains images from the 1986 Clyde Childress Memorial Pool Tournament. My first effort at doing one of these featured photos taken at the 1982 Dayton Open, Earl Strickland’s first big win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY). This latest effort was inspired by the sadness I sometimes feel when thinking back about old tournaments and old players. Old timers will recognize most of the faces, but I have captioned them just in case. And most will recognize players who are no longer with us such as Cornbread Red, Steve Mizerak, Jay Swanson, and Gary Speath. Anyway, I have fiddled with the thing most of the day and finally decided to go ahead and upload it before I went any crazier than I already am. It’s yours to enjoy, and I hope you do so a time or two.

Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryb8AJ4M-0c

sde

Silver Member
BillPorter said:
I just uploaded a video to YouTube that contains images from the 1986 Clyde Childress Memorial Pool Tournament. My first effort at doing one of these featured photos taken at the 1982 Dayton Open, Earl Strickland’s first big win (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-4gKhaBzY). This latest effort was inspired by the sadness I sometimes feel when thinking back about old tournaments and old players. Old timers will recognize most of the faces, but I have captioned them just in case. And most will recognize players who are no longer with us such as Cornbread Red, Steve Mizerak, Jay Swanson, and Gary Speath. Anyway, I have fiddled with the thing most of the day and finally decided to go ahead and upload it before I went any crazier than I already am. It’s yours to enjoy, and I hope you do so a time or two.

Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryb8AJ4M-0c

Thanks Bill. Nice work putting that together.

mattman

Silver Member
Thanks for the upload, I know that has to take some time to put together. I don't see how Kim Davenport, or anybody for that matter, could play pool with a ball cap on.

Thanks again,
Matt

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mattman said:
Thanks for the upload, I know that has to take some time to put together. I don't see how Kim Davenport, or anybody for that matter, could play pool with a ball cap on.

Thanks again,
Matt
Maybe that was the weight he was giving up in the match? :D

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Thank you, that was great. I Love looking at pictures like that. A friend of mine has a few of the Johnson city fliers from around 1971 and 1972. I am trying to get them from him to scan & post.:)

Keep up the good work.:D

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Bill, some good pictures, and a great slideshow. Really liked the music. Great work!

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto

sde said:
Thanks Bill. Nice work putting that together.

Thank you, Mr. Porter.....A tasteful and poignant piece of work......Can't get over how young Earl, Nick, and Efren look......wish I was there when it happened....what a collection of pool sharks........as the phrase goes, from the movie, "The Hustler", it's like a Hustler's Convention! .... and we may never see the likes of it again.....

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for looking....

Thanks for the compliment. I think one reason DCC is so popular is that in some ways it is kind of like the atmosphere from the old tournaments. I'm glad I had the old pics from the 1980's to use in the slide show.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bill. Another flashback in time for some of us. I wasn't at this one, but the Clyde Childress tournament at the bar, what was the name of it. One of the Brocks owned it. That was the first time I saw Shannon play. He was beating Berle playing $100 a game 9-ball. His Dad was side-betting the games. Shannon had just turned 13. Thanks again, nice pictures. Sam

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name of the bar....

satman said:
Thanks Bill. Another flashback in time for some of us. I wasn't at this one, but the Clyde Childress tournament at the bar, what was the name of it. One of the Brocks owned it. That was the first time I saw Shannon play. He was beating Berle playing $100 a game 9-ball. His Dad was side-betting the games. Shannon had just turned 13. Thanks again, nice pictures. Sam
Sam, I believe it was the Maverick Club owned by Monroe Brock. Ring a bell?

Last edited:

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill you must've known Earl from back then, was he always the jerk that he is now? It's sad when you see someone so talented that ruins it with a bad attitude.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never knew him on a personal level

trueblu8 said:
Bill you must've known Earl from back then, was he always the jerk that he is now? It's sad when you see someone so talented that ruins it with a bad attitude.
Sorry, I didn't really know Earl. Maybe someone else can chip in on this question. I do know he was a little crazy and pretty cocky.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
Bill who's singing the song? I know it's called Mad World - it was Christmas number one a couple of years back here in England and was while it was a nice song, I didn't think nothing much of it. This version (the original?) is wonderful.

And nice video. I don't particularly feel the same feelings as a lot of the older fellas on here who remmeber the time - i'm only 19. but nevertheless i know most of the players and it's still a very sad, reflective video, seeing all those greats who i know now as older, slower, and past their prime looking fit and young.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Bill,
What a great way to present the photo's. My compliments on a job well done; and my thanks for taking the time to share.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
Sorry, I didn't really know Earl. Maybe someone else can chip in on this question. I do know he was a little crazy and pretty cocky.
Lol! Pretty interesting, thanks.

Id love to see all those guys in their prime play on the much more International scene that pool has become today. I guess we will never know how they would have faired, but it would have been nice to watch.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person singing the song is....

worriedbeef said:
Bill who's singing the song? I know it's called Mad World - it was Christmas number one a couple of years back here in England and was while it was a nice song, I didn't think nothing much of it. This version (the original?) is wonderful.

And nice video. I don't particularly feel the same feelings as a lot of the older fellas on here who remmeber the time - i'm only 19. but nevertheless i know most of the players and it's still a very sad, reflective video, seeing all those greats who i know now as older, slower, and past their prime looking fit and young.
Sara Hickman. There have been several people who have sung those lyrics from the song Mad World.