Your favorite game for fun, for money and for tourneys,

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
We all play different games of pool at different times for different reasons. Sometime for fun. Sometimes to gamble, and sometimes for tournament play.

My question is what games do you play for each situation, or is it always the same game regardless of the reason? More importantly, WHY do you choose the specific game for each situation, and even MORE importantly, how does your MENTAL game change for each situation? Do you approach the table differently mentally based on the reason your playing?

tommy84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league matches consist of 14.1, 8-Ball and 9-Ball
Each player has 2 matches that must be two different ones.
I usually play the 8th and last match which is 9-Ball, mainly because of my mental strength.
I don't play different if it's all about win or draw/draw or loss for the team.

The other match depends on what my comrads prefer.

For tourneys I prefer 9-Ball as it's fast and unpredictable and you can win against stronger players easily on short distances like a race to 4 on our local tourney.
Also the official tourneys are mostly 9-Ball with very few exceptions.

And I don't play for money as I don't earn much and play too bad:D

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Your favorite game for fun, for money and for tourneys

Fun - There can be no disagreement here; it's Cutthroat!!! We have a Monday night cutthroat game (with football or baseball on the plasma tv). Drinking, sharking, woofing, and barking are all encouraged. It is a heck of a lot of fun.

Money - Oddly enough, my favorite is 14.1. It's a game where some experience and knowledge of the game can make up for lack of firepower (though there is NO substitute for firepower). The tension always builds, and the last 30 minutes of most matches is really filled with tension on every shot. It is the best way ever to help build your concentration skills.

Tourneys - I guess it's 9-ball. Quick, fun, lots of opportunity to exhibit your Arnold Palmer "go for the throat" mentality. Lose a game??....don't worry, there's another one coming in about 10 seconds.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 over all others. I love the game. I just never get to play it seriously for any stretch of time. The only thing that frustrates me is playing it against professionals. I'm not good enough to have that remarkable moment yet. It's still the game we play to mix things up which is what hurts me the most. I do love the fact that it's an offensive-player's utopia.

8-ball is def. next. I feel if I'm playing it a lot, I will out-shoot and/or out-move most.

9-ball the most. It is the game I play most often and I love letting my stroke loose. I consider myself to be a bit offense-oriented so this game has always suited me. The only thing that can get annoying is when the game gets too easy. I hate it when my opponent is dropping 3 on the break and getting Mickey Mouse outs. The game is wonderful when it presents challenges. Unfortunately, those challenges don't always show-up. It does provide frequent upsets, though and makes any professional tournament enticing to enter.

1-pocket. Some say I have a good eye for the game which may be attributed to my love of 8-ball and 14.1. I'm certain that if I got to know the game better and learned more about moves and banks, I would play this game most. For the moment, I hate the slow-pace and feel handcuffed most of the time which is murder for a 9-ball player.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
My favorite game for money is one pocket... it was MADE to be played for money.

Tournaments? 9 ball although it's the game that gets me nervous the most. I enjoy the pressure it puts on you.

Fun? 14.1

Getting drunk? barbox 8 ball is a blast!

Mystick Cue Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 balll for money,
8 ball & nine balll for tournies,
One pocket for fun......(I'm extremeley horrible at this game but love it to death)

I seem to concentrate more when I'm gambling than I do when I enter a 10 dollar weekly tournament. Well I think I need to try and work on that.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
Suprised to see most folks choose straight for fun. It's my favorite game also, but no one seems to want to play it. It's all 8 or 9 ball.

Anyway straight pool would be my answer for all 3.

Jim

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun
Straight pool. I have a pretty busy and hectic life. There is rarely time when there is not someplace I have to be. For fun, I am usually looking to relax a bit by pushing everything else out of my mind and focusing on what I am doing. Straight pool is the game I can most easily do this.

Tournaments
Eight ball. I pick eight ball for tourneys over nine ball for one simple reasons: I have been more successful in eight ball tournaments. (I do like 8 over 9 ball which probably explains why I do better at it.)

Gambling
Straight pool. I choose straight pool because 1) even when down I feel that I can always catch back up and win, 2) as stated earlier I find the game more fun, and 3) most people I gamble with a re better players than I, so gambling on a game I know better than them helps even it out a bit. That said, I don’t have a great record gambling at straight pool. Oh, btw, I have not played much one pocket. I have a feeling I would really like it if I would start playing.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
for fun depending on if I have an opponent or not I like one pocket. Straightball if I'm alone followed by 8 ball

I rarely play for money, if I do I prefere 8 ball or one pocket

tournaments I prefere 8 ball over 9 ball. Especially if it's a short race.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
One of my favorite games while waiting for some action or just passing the time sipping a few cold ones was three ball for one or two dollars a game. Get four or five people in it and you could get some nice little let it ride pots. Johnnyt

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
fun: one pocket

tourney: the only tourneys around here are 8 ball:(

cash: one pocket

Oh, you have to play one-pocket for cash. I mean, if you didn't, you would be insane by the end of the session (if you weren't insane to begin with). Without a doubt, it would at least leave you impotent and without a will to live (which in Star Wars means DEATH!).

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Oh, you have to play one-pocket for cash. I mean, if you didn't, you would be insane by the end of the session (if you weren't insane to begin with). Without a doubt, it would at least leave you impotent and without a will to live (which in Star Wars means DEATH!).

Too true, Too true

Jake(not insane and definately not impotent)

Tristan

Big 'Bumpin'
Silver Member
For fun: Banks. This way all the shots are hard and I have an excuse to miss in case someone's watching.

For tourneys: Sudden Death 7-Ball. Should probably replace 9-ball as the major TV game.

for $$$: Bumper Pool. I've been known to challenge some major locals to a cash game or two of 'Bumps.' I shouldn't give any details away though, or I'll ruin my action!

--
Tristan

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
STRIP POOL with the crew from HOOTERS....FUN

1P for action

10 ball or 1P for tourney

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:
We all play different games of pool at different times for different reasons. Sometime for fun. Sometimes to gamble, and sometimes for tournament play.

My question is what games do you play for each situation, or is it always the same game regardless of the reason? More importantly, WHY do you choose the specific game for each situation, and even MORE importantly, how does your MENTAL game change for each situation? Do you approach the table differently mentally based on the reason your playing?

I like 10 ball for the cash gettin a nice spot ..If i have to give a spot u'll get played sweet ....