Did Niles Foul?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you mean the break shot for the final rack at 2:45:32? Playing it in slow motion, it looked OK to me.
Here is that start time: https://youtu.be/vSeALtZEk2A?t=9920
(YouTube start times do not seem to work on mobile devices.)

It looks fine to me. The cue ball went forward after recoiling a ways from the rack because Neils played with a little follow, similar to some nine ball breaks.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
looks fine to me, the cue ball was struck with center ball as a punch stroke and the CB hit the object ball in the rack full that's why it did not travel anywhere after contact

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the reaction of the cueball is indicative of a double hit. i know because i've done it before.

This is not a democracy but I think you've been outvoted. A prudent person would seek out the source of his possible error.

SlateMate

Banned
Do you mean the break shot for the final rack at 2:45:32? Playing it in slow motion, it looked OK to me.

holy cow.... how did i screw that up. i'll change it. and YES it's at 2:45:30 or so. notice that the cueball reacts like it was double hit. if you hit with with clean high-ball it will bounce but spin forward. here it just goes dead.

i'm looking at it again in detail. the cue-ball bounces up then dies right there after the 2nd contact. watch it again...a one-hit stroke would have forced the cueball to curve over the top of the rack then forward on the other side, not die on top of the stack.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.... a one-hit stroke would have forced the cueball to curve over the top of the rack then forward on the other side, not die on top of the stack.
No. That's only true for certain specific hits on the ball in the rack. If the object ball is hit a little to the right of center the cue ball will bounce back and follow in a curve to the right. If the object ball is hit a little to the left of center, the cue ball will bounce back and curve off to the left. If the cue ball is hit exactly "wrong" it will bounce straight back and follow back to the ball it contacted.

I think you need to spend some time on the table to get a better feel for this kind of shot.

That sort of break, where the cue ball hits a head ball nearly full, bounces back and spins to a stop with the follow counteracting the bounce back, seemed to be a favorite of Luther Lassiter's. The other players of that era were rarely in that position and were much more likely to have a thin cut with the cue ball going into the side of the rack.

SlateMate

Banned
I think you need to spend some time on the table to get a better feel for this kind of shot.

give me a break.... i've been playing straight seriously since 1986. y'all refuse to see the obvious.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SlateMate, Howdy;

give me a break.... i've been playing straight seriously since 1986. y'all refuse to see the obvious.

A long time ago, a person much wiser than I commented that, if all about you see the
same thing that you do and you are the only one that sees a fault then you may wish
to reconsider your thoughts ...

Not sayin' you are wrong, just that you might be lookin' to hard.

hank

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it sure does look to me like Feijen fouls when breaking at about 2:45:20 into the match.

the cue-ball reacts like it was double hit. had i been the ref, i'd have called it. no one in the booth said anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSeALtZEk2A
I don't think the cue ball would have kept spinning like that if it was a double hit. The cue ball didn't follow through far because it was so close to the other balls to start with, and because Niels follow through had to be a short and abbreviated 'pop' stroke to avoid the double hit. If he had double hit the cue ball, it would have driven in to the pack a second time and would not have ended up where it did on the top of the rack.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
nope

holy cow.... how did i screw that up. i'll change it. and YES it's at 2:45:30 or so. notice that the cueball reacts like it was double hit. if you hit with with clean high-ball it will bounce but spin forward. here it just goes dead.

i'm looking at it again in detail. the cue-ball bounces up then dies right there after the 2nd contact. watch it again...a one-hit stroke would have forced the cueball to curve over the top of the rack then forward on the other side, not die on top of the stack.

It was a good hit, tip went up after contact, your over analyzing things.