Mezz Or Pechauer

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Mezz Cue

Personally, I'd go with the Mezz, but be aware the shaft that comes with it is low deflection.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts might be regarding these two brands of cues?

I'm torn between the two cues below. Sort of my Christmas present to myself. Never had a Mezz but I did have a Pechauer 10-12 years ago and sold it. Not sure why either.

https://www.seyberts.com/mezz-ec7p2-pool-cue

https://www.seyberts.com/pechauer-custom-cues-p16h

Need to decide in the next day or two if I want delivery by the holiday.

r/DCP

I had exactly the same question a couple years ago. I played with both for a couple weeks. In the end, the deciding factor between these two world class cues for me, was that pechauer is a small American company. I have since bought 4 other pechauer s, and have had multiple conversations with the guys in the shop. They always reply to my questions quickly and courteously. You can't go wrong with either, but for me, I made the right choice.

picture.php

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts might be regarding these two brands of cues?

I'm torn between the two cues below. Sort of my Christmas present to myself. Never had a Mezz but I did have a Pechauer 10-12 years ago and sold it. Not sure why either.

https://www.seyberts.com/mezz-ec7p2-pool-cue

https://www.seyberts.com/pechauer-custom-cues-p16h

Need to decide in the next day or two if I want delivery by the holiday.

r/DCP
I'm a dealer of both, and I played with Pechauer cues for the past 20+ years, although most of that was a Pechauer butt paired with various low deflection Predator shafts. Within the past year I have switched to Mezz cues and shafts, and I'm very happy with them. The quality of Mezz cues is unmatched for production cues, and the various shaft offerings are impressive. I've only had and preferred the simpler model Mezz cues - the EC7 series and the MSP series - both of which come with the United joint. Some of their cues come with what they call a wavy joint, and I've heard they hit great as well. The EXPro shaft is what I'm using and is the best Mezz shaft in my opinion, but does not come standard on any of the Mezz cues and is a considerable $$ upgrade. Most of the Mezz cues come standard with their 12.5mm WX700 low deflection shaft, which in my opinion deflects just a little bit more than most Predator shafts, but has a whole more solid hit and better feel to it than any Predator shaft.

I assure you, you can't go wrong with any Mezz cue, although Pechauer makes a great cue as well, and is willing to customize your special needs and requests far more than Mezz is able to do.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a dealer of both, and I played with Pechauer cues for the past 20+ years, although most of that was a Pechauer butt paired with various low deflection Predator shafts. Within the past year I have switched to Mezz cues and shafts, and I'm very happy with them. The quality of Mezz cues is unmatched for production cues, and the various shaft offerings are impressive. I've only had and preferred the simpler model Mezz cues - the EC7 series and the MSP series - both of which come with the United joint. Some of their cues come with what they call a wavy joint, and I've heard they hit great as well. The EXPro shaft is what I'm using and is the best Mezz shaft in my opinion, but does not come standard on any of the Mezz cues and is a considerable $$ upgrade. Most of the Mezz cues come standard with their 12.5mm WX700 shaft, which deflects a little bit more than most Predator shafts, but has a whole more solid and better feel to it than any Predator shaft.

I assure you, you can't go wrong with any Mezz cue, although Pechauer makes a great cue as well, and is willing to customize your special needs and requests far more than Mezz is able to do.

I have hit with a few Mezz cues and they have always impressed me, with both their play and quality.

The only two Mezz shafts I've played with are the 700 and the 900 and I prefer the 700.

Floydbeth

Registered
I'm a mezz user but the pechauer looks nicer. I like how it looks traditional and comes with nice hard maple shaft ,forget about the ld shafts they feel hollow to me. Recommend get extra shaft and be done with it.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I've never had any of the newer Pechauer stuff, but the 4 older ones I've had from the late 90's to about 2007 I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
A couple of those Pechauer cues are famously made fun of around the players I know in Denver who deal with cues all the time.
Other than a couple guys here on AZ, I have never heard of anyone who likes the way they play, even guys who own several.

There are so many people who love Mezz I would lean in that direction.
I have a Mezz cue on the way with 2 WX-900 shafts so we will see, but from the people I talk to and deal with it's not a tough choice.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never had any of the newer Pechauer stuff, but the 4 older ones I've had from the late 90's to about 2007 I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
A couple of those Pechauer cues are famously made fun of around the players I know in Denver who deal with cues all the time.
Other than a couple guys here on AZ, I have never heard of anyone who likes the way they play, even guys who own several.

I have a Mezz cue on the way with 2 WX-900 shafts so we will see, but from the people I talk to and deal with it's not a tough choice.
You'd better be a strong player to handle that WX900 shaft. Yes, there is very minimal deflection, but much like a Predator Z shaft, the shaft/tip is so small, it makes it harder to hit true center ball when you're trying to, and in my opinion it makes it harder to figure out how to compensate for deflection, since there are so many different degrees of spin you can choose to get on the ball due to the small shaft/tip. I tried one for a while, but then switched back to my Mezz EXPro shaft, which deflects just slightly more, but for myself, I find it more accurate to play with when using spin or no spin.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Mezz Cue

Yes they do make a standard hard maple shaft. They list for $235.00 while the wx700 lists for $265.00 so you could save $30.00 with the switch. I've got a used hard maple Mezz shaft I'd part with for $150 shipped and insured if that helps.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been trying to decide on one myself, based on what I've read I'd go Mezz.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member

Doesn't it seem strange that someone who didn't like they way they played would own several? Either they're goofy or this is BS.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Doesn't it seem strange that someone who didn't like they way they played would own several? Either they're goofy or this is BS.

Yeah its BS
I deal with different cues every day, have a substantial cue collection, 4 cues recently sold in minutes but I have a reason to lie about a company I like.
I just don't like Pechauer cues, but I've always liked them as a company.

I will say it again like I've said many times, the 4 Pechauer cues I've owned were awful playing cues.
Nothing new, and I've heard it from several people as well.
What's goofy is taking a cue with a 5/16-14 piloted joint and machining off some threads to make it a quick release like they did for a while.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At this point I am leaning towards the Pechauer. I am sure sometime in the next six months or so I will be buying another cue so the Mezz I mentioned in the initial post might be the next one after that.

Seems from what I have been reading and heard that the Pechauer folks are easy to work with.

r/DCP

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Yeah its BS
I deal with different cues every day, have a substantial cue collection, 4 cues recently sold in minutes but I have a reason to lie about a company I like.
I just don't like Pechauer cues, but I've always liked them as a company.

I will say it again like I've said many times, the 4 Pechauer cues I've owned were awful playing cues.
Nothing new, and I've heard it from several people as well.
What's goofy is taking a cue with a 5/16-14 piloted joint and machining off some threads to make it a quick release like they did for a while.

You're missing my point. We can disagree on how well Pechauer cues hit (I have 5 myself) as that is very subjective. If I didn't like the first one or two I bought why would I get 3 or 4 more? Reread the part of your post highlighted in red.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And may I ask, what is the difference between Embossed leather wraps and Stack leather wraps?

Can anyone post a pic of each?

r/DCP