Folks Asking About Tips Used By Pros

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's getting a little old to see the same replies when someone comes on here asking about what products the pros use. It's typically one of a few standard captain obvious replies such as It's not the tip, it's the player or just because he can shoot with it, doesn't mean you can. Or...find the tip that works best for you. Sometimes the answers are downright cynical and even worse.

Did any of you folks ever consider that maybe these posters asking about pro players' products are looking for a starting point to work from on deciding what they like, or might play well with?

I've played for many years and while I have my tips of choice that I play with, I've also tried some of the tips that the pros use over the years, just to see how I played with them and maybe find out some insight into the pros choice of tip, etc.

It's not hurting a soul to inquire as to what a pro uses, and attempting to squash down someone for asking is just another way of suppressing interest in the sport most of us love. If you know the answer, give it. If all you have for feedback is a smart-ass comment about how the OP isn't good enough to play like a pro, then keep it to yourself.

Sorry for the early morning rant, but if you're truly into billiards of any type and want to be active and helpful on here, then be helpful, regardless of how many times the same question is answered.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well questions for the 10,000th time, are just that. Without, the place AZB would be deader, then dead. Back in the day there was no other than Pool being talked about, now NPR is more popular then Pool Talk.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's getting a little old to see the same replies when someone comes on here asking about what products the pros use. It's typically one of a few standard captain obvious replies such as It's not the tip, it's the player or just because he can shoot with it, doesn't mean you can. Or...find the tip that works best for you. Sometimes the answers are downright cynical and even worse.

Did any of you folks ever consider that maybe these posters asking about pro players' products are looking for a starting point to work from on deciding what they like, or might play well with?

I've played for many years and while I have my tips of choice that I play with, I've also tried some of the tips that the pros use over the years, just to see how I played with them and maybe find out some insight into the pros choice of tip, etc.

It's not hurting a soul to inquire as to what a pro uses, and attempting to squash down someone for asking is just another way of suppressing interest in the sport most of us love. If you know the answer, give it. If all you have for feedback is a smart-ass comment about how the OP isn't good enough to play like a pro, then keep it to yourself.

Sorry for the early morning rant, but if you're truly into billiards of any type and want to be active and helpful on here, then be helpful, regardless of how many times the same question is answered.

No one asks what tip Jon Henessee is using-they ask about the latest pro who is on a hot streak and it is retarded. Same with stick, shaft etc

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, a guy comes on and asks a question that has been asked in some form a million times. Now, add in the fact that not only is it a forum of pool players but also a forum of VERY bored, layed-off and possibly fired pool players. Excuse me if i don't hold his hand enough. 99% of these "what does so-n-so use" questions can be answered with a simple search, either here or Google, etc.

BadEnglish

Registered
It's always a balance on forums like these. Regulars get sick of answering the same questions from new members, but new members are important for keeping things from getting stale. Periodic influx of new folks keeps thing moving forward. Plus, I suspect many of the newer members know perfectly well how to use the search function, they just want to engage and interact with the other members. It's part of sharing the enthusiasm of the hobby.

Obviously I'm new here and I'm still getting the lay of that land, so I could be wrong, but I've spent quite a bit of time on guitar related forums over the years and it's generally very similar.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always a balance on forums like these. Regulars get sick of answering the same questions from new members, but new members are important for keeping things from getting stale. Periodic influx of new folks keeps thing moving forward. Plus, I suspect many of the newer members know perfectly well how to use the search function, they just want to engage and interact with the other members. It's part of sharing the enthusiasm of the hobby.

Obviously I'm new here and I'm still getting the lay of that land, so I could be wrong, but I've spent quite a bit of time on guitar related forums over the years and it's generally very similar.

It's not even newcomers half the time-Guys have been here years will ask what type of tip, shaft, stick does the latest hotshot use?

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue and tip questions are my favourite.

They help me Identify fakes on here from real players.

Real players are clueless about any cue or tip outside of the one they use or outside of one or two others.

‘What do you think about the ‘xyz’ cue.? Unless they have used it for 3 months everyday with the exact same tip as on their previous cue they are just faking it

What tip does player ‘a’ use? Doesn’t matter. How does he shape it? How old is it?

If Ronnie OSullivan has used an Elkmaster for 25 years...how does it possibly matter? He changes it twice a year maximum and Sources the same box of tips.

BadEnglish

Registered
Cue and tip questions are my favourite.

They help me Identify fakes on here from real players.

Real players are clueless about any cue or tip outside of the one they use or outside of one or two others.

‘What do you think about the ‘xyz’ cue.? Unless they have used it for 3 months everyday with the exact same tip as on their previous cue they are just faking it

What tip does player ‘a’ use? Doesn’t matter. How does he shape it? How old is it?

If Ronnie OSullivan has used an Elkmaster for 25 years...how does it possibly matter? He changes it twice a year maximum and Sources the same box of tips.

I think it's also a differentiates the hobbyists who like to focus on gear vs the pros who just want a tool that lets them play and earn. I think this sort of thing is true for most hobbies. A weekend cycling enthusiast isn't joining the Tour de France because he bought a carbon frame bike nor does buying a $5k Les Paul make you stage ready. Hobbyists often tend to get as focused on the gear as the craft, which often leads them to annoy the hell out of pros on the Internet.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look, a guy comes on and asks a question that has been asked in some form a million times. Now, add in the fact that not only is it a forum of pool players but also a forum of VERY bored, layed-off and possibly fired pool players. Excuse me if i don't hold his hand enough. 99% of these "what does so-n-so use" questions can be answered with a simple search, either here or Google, etc.

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to answer if you find it redundant based on how long you've been a member, or a pool player yourself. Maybe the OP asking the question just started. Regardless of it, smart ass comments aren't necessary. The point is, do you have to respond to every question, even repetitive ones? No, you don't, but even if you find that you, it doesn't have to be a snide, or snarky response. That's the point. (and I'm not necessarily talking about you individually, but rather all of those that do provide that type of response.)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're missing the point. You don't have to answer if you find it redundant based on how long you've been a member, or a pool player yourself. Maybe the OP asking the question just started. Regardless of it, smart ass comments aren't necessary. The point is, do you have to respond to every question, even repetitive ones? No, you don't, but even if you find that you, it doesn't have to be a snide, or snarky response. That's the point. (and I'm not necessarily talking about you individually, but rather all of those that do provide that type of response.)
Thanks for the tip/lecture. Here's a tip: if you don't like my replies feel free to put me on "Ignore". Over the years i've gone out of my way to look up info on cues,tables, who-makes-what, etc. on here. As long as these ULTRA-repetitive questions keep getting asked they're gonna get the same results, if not from me then someone else. I guess hanging out on the golf course and in poolrooms for 40yrs has given me a fairly thick skin especially when it comes to what someone with a keyboard says.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worse than lazies duplicating prior efforts is folks who tell others how to use the AZB.

Talk about a waste of some good-ass letters...that is it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with you 100%.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I see you use a milk dud. How often do you tap it to make sure it holds chalk?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see you use a milk dud. How often do you tap it to make sure it holds chalk?
that's my choice too...I usually need to scuff after about 8-10hr of play.

Not sure if it matters, but I generally hit the balls way too hard- I am a masher, can't help it- and have been known to break with the same cue I am playing with.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do think that common sense and common courtesy should rule here. Yes, whenever I see a question on what type of equipment so and so uses, I cringe. But that would not ever be an excuse for me to reply to that person in a negative way. I do think that worrying about what equipment a pro uses in any sport is useless UNTIL you reach the level where you need to be competing seriously against such opponents, in other words, proficiency in most sports is not equipment based IMO and it only matters when ALL skill and knowledge levels are equal on a very high level and the equipment can give a slight edge- MAYBE!

I have been vocal here about my use of standard maple shafts, and my beliefs that equipment is very much secondary to proper training, practice, and competition in developing skills. This does not mean that equipment cannot make a difference; but I have seen so many golfers change and update clubs and balls ad infinitum with no measurable difference in their scores over years of play. I, myself have owned dozens of custom cue makers' cues over time; and, as I have said before, I would and could never use any of those cues as an excuse for my poor play on a given day. That being said, tips, joints, shafts, woods, grips, weights, balances, etc. all become a matter of personal preference over time.

Let's all have some patience with the uneducated, information seeking , uninformed ; who may in fact end up being the future of this sport.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member

Well if anybody asks, here's a few threads you can point them to:groucho:

Tips pros use

jsalazar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What was the excuse before the pandemic?