Willard Retipping Machine

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone knows of one of these that are for sale - used, please let me know because I'd like to get one. That "block" of aluminum retails for over $400 brand new.

Last edited:

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I'd like to have one also. They're nice. I've used one before. And you're right they're high as hell. I'd like to have a print on it.

Attachments

• williardsystem.jpg
    williardsystem.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:

T411

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PM lukeinva, he had one for sale a couple of weeks ago. He might still have it.

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta' have it and hope that I don't get any competition for getting it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Grrrrrrrrrrooooooowwwwl!

Look out!

:mad:

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kokopuffs said:
I gotta' have it and hope that I don't get any competition for getting it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Grrrrrrrrrrooooooowwwwl!

Look out!

:mad:
I have one already, so don't bite me. I have a small lathe now, but I can not imagine getting rid of my Willard's. It is so easy to take anywhere and it does a very nice job too.

Tracy <---Wondering if tonight is a full moon. ;)

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
I have one already, so don't bite me. I have a small lathe now, but I can not imagine getting rid of my Willard's. It is so easy to take anywhere and it does a very nice job too.

Tracy <---Wondering if tonight is a full moon. ;)

I was considering a lathe for my own shaft/tip maintenance, but a lathe is about twice as much as the Willard's. If I was just doing my own tips, I think the Willard's would do.

Would you recommend getting the Willard's instead of a portable lathe?

Do you think that a small lathe is a overkill for simple maintenance (no way I'm gonna do anyone else's stuff)? (I suppose I could just get a Willard's for tips, and then take my shafts to a repairman for maintenance...)

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
td873 said:
I was considering a lathe for my own shaft/tip maintenance, but a lathe is about twice as much as the Willard's.

My lathe was on sale brand new for $269. Homier no longer imports them, but others do (Harbor Freight, Grizzly and others). With the lathe, you can also replace ferrules or make joint protectors, I even used mine to make a live center for my wood lathe.

td873 said:
If I was just doing my own tips, I think the Willard's would do.

Would you recommend getting the Willard's instead of a portable lathe?

Do you think that a small lathe is a overkill for simple maintenance (no way I'm gonna do anyone else's stuff)? (I suppose I could just get a Willard's for tips, and then take my shafts to a repairman for maintenance...)
I think a lathe would be overkill for just tips. If you have no other use for a lathe, then I think a Willard's is a very good option. It is expensive, but very well designed and made. Then again, the Willard's is a lot to spend if you don't plan to do any tips other than your own.

Tracy

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
Homier no longer imports them, but others do (Harbor Freight, Grizzly and others). With the lathe, you can also replace ferrules or make joint protectors, I even used mine to make a live center for my wood lathe.

This question below will clearly indicate how new I am to this lathe thing:
Some of thelathes that Harbor and Grizzly offer are only 20" between centers. Also, they don't look like they have the right attachments for working on shafts. Is it difficult to 'convert' a normal wood lathe into a cue lathe? Do the parts just interchange? Is there an adapter for working on 29" shafts (like an end with a hole in it that you slide the shaft through)?

Thanks again!

-td

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RSB:

I plan to get the Willards. A lathe seems formidable since there's a huge learning curve associated with learning its operation. I do all of my own gunsmithing on Colt 45's by hand and although a lathe would be a real boone, it seems as if a formal class in machine shop is called for when it comes to using a lathe.

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
kokopuffs said:
RSB:

I plan to get the Willards. A lathe seems formidable since there's a huge learning curve associated with learning its operation. I do all of my own gunsmithing on Colt 45's by hand and although a lathe would be a real boone, it seems as if a formal class in machine shop is called for when it comes to using a lathe.
What's the best price for the Willards so far? I've seen them for around $495, is there a better price out there? I will be selling them soon and wondering what the best price out there is, so far!

Thanks,
Zim

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, checking at Harbor Freight which is selling small lathes for around $375, do the math - with all due respect to you.

On ebay Joerackem@alo.com sells the Willards for around the same price, delivered.

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zims Rack said:
What's the best price for the Willards so far? I've seen them for around $495, is there a better price out there? I will be selling them soon and wondering what the best price out there is, so far!

Thanks,
Zim

ChecK your PM's Zim!!!!

lignum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the willards looks like a nice toy but the lathe is capable of doing many other projects which may come to mind at a later date . IMHO there is no decision to be made here , the lathe wins hands down - providing the spindle bore is large enough to pass your shaft through .
PS: the lathe is not an intimidating machine to learn from scratch .

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
kokopuffs said:
If anyone knows of one of these that are for sale - used, please let me know because I'd like to get one. That "block" of aluminum retails for over $400 brand new.

Somebody on CCB posted this number for Williards directly 1-800-379-0299. Supposedly they are cheaper direct, I don't know if you'll have to pretend to be a business though.

srober40

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RSB-Refugee said:
My lathe was on sale brand new for $269. Homier no longer imports them, but others do (Harbor Freight, Grizzly and others). With the lathe, you can also replace ferrules or make joint protectors, I even used mine to make a live center for my wood lathe.

I think a lathe would be overkill for just tips. If you have no other use for a lathe, then I think a Willard's is a very good option. It is expensive, but very well designed and made. Then again, the Willard's is a lot to spend if you don't plan to do any tips other than your own.

Tracy

Tracy,

Can you tell me more about the small lathe? How does the shaft fit in? Does it go through the center on the left hand side while being held in place with collets? (I am not a experienced with lathes so please forgive my lack of knowledge)

Thanks,

Scott