What's the quickest you've ever made a cue?

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I won't name names but I was told about the build time of a high end cue by a high end builder that he built a certain cue in about 30 days time. That being said it was the one and only cue that he had worked on for that 30 day period.

Knowing this has soured me from ordering more custom cues from makers as it is hard to have to wait on the prolonged build times as it is. I am always anxious to receive new cues. I understand that most if not all quality cue builders do have a back log and that quality does take a certain amount of time. I am good with and have ordered a number of cues with build times of 12 months but at this point going forward I would not order a cue for myself that would take longer than a year to get.

Besides I am currently on my last custom ordered cue anyhow so I won't have to worry about this after early 2020.

I really can't conceive how people can get on a cue build list that is over a 10 year wait. I wouldn't do that even if the builder was going to give me a dozen cues free of charge.

Kevin

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
About an hour and a half, with parts that are close to finished size.
The major holdup is the wood. I take a year or more to get shafts close to size. It can be done a lot faster, but I try not to need to. Butt and handle wood is the same. The longer is sits at slightly over finish, the better.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
When I first started out .. 9 years ago, I made a cue in a week.... shaft and all......... I did have to put the pin in it 3 times to get it straight........ the cue is still straight and plays well..................... it is very ugly........... I take 2 to 3 months to make a cue now

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About six months, started with a Schmelke full splice blank and a 1st turn shaft. That cue has remained nice and straigh.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I built the first cue I ever built from two dowels in a few days.
It played pretty good and stayed pretty straight, but not perfect.
Been over 30 years now and I still have it. We even made the joint pin from brass with a hand dye at another cue repairman's shop. That was the so called "good old days" when it was hard to find cue parts.