veneer on wrap area...

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some time back there were a couple of discussions about wrapping the handle area with veneer to make up for a groove cut too deep. Some one had good information about this. Any one remember who that was and if the person it was sees this would you please call me. 509 392 9015. Thanks

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some time back there were a couple of discussions about wrapping the handle area with veneer to make up for a groove cut too deep. Some one had good information about this. Any one remember who that was and if the person it was sees this would you please call me. 509 392 9015. Thanks

Mike Webb.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That was me asking a few years back. I was asked to put a linen wrap on one of those pesky Lucasi cues with a sports wrap. I ended up using two layers of veneer on top of each other, I had to split the veneer shets in 3 to make up one 360 degree layer, it took forever sanding, cutting, measuring. I'm not using that approach again...
I'm doing three cues now, one Lucasi and two Predator and they all have a too deep wrap groove. This time I'm using West epoxy to build up the wrap groove and just sand it to fit the new leather wraps.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
If you get the UV cured epoxy, you can build it up faster, as curing takes about 2 minutes.
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I have done, veneer used to build up the channel is less weight than using epoxy...of any kind.
Dave

Thanks Dave
I might try it. The veneer is good but at the end of the day. It's a lot of work for cues with channels to deep on purpose.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

I know brent Hartman’s done that if I’m not mistaken. Hell I think it was his thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
That was me asking a few years back. I was asked to put a linen wrap on one of those pesky Lucasi cues with a sports wrap. I ended up using two layers of veneer on top of each other, I had to split the veneer shets in 3 to make up one 360 degree layer, it took forever sanding, cutting, measuring. I'm not using that approach again...
I'm doing three cues now, one Lucasi and two Predator and they all have a too deep wrap groove. This time I'm using West epoxy to build up the wrap groove and just sand it to fit the new leather wraps.

Why did you need 3 pieces of veneer?

Wet the veneer and watch the sob bend, steam it over a pot and it’ll curl all you want.........no reason a veneer can’t be installed into the groove basically the same way one does leather.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did you need 3 pieces of veneer?

Wet the veneer and watch the sob bend, steam it over a pot and it’ll curl all you want.........no reason a veneer can’t be installed into the groove basically the same way one does leather.

You've done this correct? Are you holding the wrap area over the pot as you complete the seam process or just one time to start the initial curl?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You've done this correct? Are you holding the wrap area over the pot as you complete the seam process or just one time to start the initial curl?

I had put a cored figured redwood burl in a handle and chattered the piss out of it. Didn’t want to cut it apart and such.

I didn’t use a pot I have an old qvc steam cleaner with all kinds of attachments my grandmother had (I use it o clean my vehicles engines mostly lol) one of the connectors is a few inches wide and after I got the initial curl I did use it because I was worried I’d split the veneer. It ended up going well enough I made my gf daughter a little night light with a maple burl veneer.....made a tube popped out the small eyes and put a light in it.

Another method I know for sure would work but I have no experience in doing is using ammonia to “plasticize” the wood. Some guys do some mind blowing woodwork using that technique....I mean it will straight up let you fold wood dam near.

I’ll try and find that link from when brent did it as well

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

found one thread where Dave38 did one as well and he used some product called "veneer tamer" mentioned it worked great and the ash burl wrap he did looks flawless.

i swear brent did one.....i distinctly remember thinking that using the veneer was a new idea and i came on here and by stroke of luck i guess he had just made that thread and i was thinking ok i'm not out my dam mind hahahaha

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had put a cored figured redwood burl in a handle and chattered the piss out of it. Didn’t want to cut it apart and such.

I didn’t use a pot I have an old qvc steam cleaner with all kinds of attachments my grandmother had (I use it o clean my vehicles engines mostly lol) one of the connectors is a few inches wide and after I got the initial curl I did use it because I was worried I’d split the veneer. It ended up going well enough I made my gf daughter a little night light with a maple burl veneer.....made a tube popped out the small eyes and put a light in it.

Another method I know for sure would work but I have no experience in doing is using ammonia to “plasticize” the wood. Some guys do some mind blowing woodwork using that technique....I mean it will straight up let you fold wood dam near.

I’ll try and find that link from when brent did it as well

Thank you. Carry on.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Thank you. Carry on.

yeah Ed in my head upstairs mustve still been on the weekend brain, i couldnt find the thread so contacted brent hartman and summers and neither one made such a thread......it was the first such thread on here tho that id ever seen from what i can remember....tho that memory is in question now hahahaha

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
s cuff up the swood with 80 grit then pply a thick coat of west thickened with micro baloons leave the lsthe turning slowly till it hardens. t is easy to tjurn to size.