Fraudulent Representation of Szamboti Cue

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I want to thank all you guy's for all the memories. I do believe I finished 2nd in the 14.1
to Jim Rempe maybe 6th one pocket.
Ray

Hey Ray! Lots of memories from that tourney for me, too. I knew you finished high in the 14.1. I remember so clearly, David b**ching about you making a ball or two almost every game and him continually breaking dry. You said to him "You got the best break on the planet... I'm not allowed to make a ball on the break?" :grin:

Good memories.

Again, I'm sure Steve Price and Eric both would want to pass along their hellos.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is correct.
Back then he was one of the coolest cats in the neighborhood and pool room.

and he stayed that way until at least the late 90's and then left us probably in the early 2000's. Good guy, smart-did me some favors RIP

middleofnowhere

Registered
The seller of a cue is using my name, Ray Martin, to sell what he says is a Szamboti cue on eBay. He is asking $13,000 for it and he says Gus made it for me. This is false information. Gus never made that cue for me. He is posting it as a one of a kind. I notified eBay and they said they were going to look into it. So all of you potential buyers who go to eBay, beware.

He is not actually saying that. He says it is a canceled order and obviously it was sold to someone else. If there is a written order for a cue with your name on it or on your behalf, he may be telling the truth.

There is a mention of a cue Gus made for me in the Billiard Encyclopedia. This would have been in the 70's so Gus must have kept pretty good records that still exist. You may just not remember something over 4 decades ago. I am sure Barry could clear this up. I would not be shocked if a written order exists.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
He is not actually saying that. He says it is a canceled order and obviously it was sold to someone else. If there is a written order for a cue with your name on it or on your behalf, he may be telling the truth.

There is a mention of a cue Gus made for me in the Billiard Encyclopedia. This would have been in the 70's so Gus must have kept pretty good records that still exist. You may just not remember something over 4 decades ago. I am sure Barry could clear this up. I would not be shocked if a written order exists.

Hi Middle, can you offer free shipping on your auction?

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
If anyone buys the cue and doesn’t want or need the 12 3/4 inch Zanloti shaft I’ll take it, I need an extra for my 42 1/4 inch butt

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. In 2006, I bought a cue that was described as a Gus Szamboti that was previously owned by Ray Martin. The seller swore it was one of Ray's because he bought it from him. He was so confident that it was a Gus that he agreed to have Barry authenticate it and he assured me that Ray would provide a letter supporting that the cue was his at some time. Barry supported with his belief that the cue was built by his father, but said the cue cue was not made for Ray. The letter never arrived, but since I did not pay extra for the provenance, I was still very happy. On the chance that the cue might actually have been one of Ray's cues (nobody is going to care that it was one of mine), I PM'd Ray with the full story and asked if it was his. He denied previously owning it. If it had been, I would have sent him a few bucks for his effort. Several years later when I sold the cue, I did not relay the story to the new owner until after the sale was completed. It would be interesting to know how many cues have been sold as having been one of Ray's cue. Obviously, his mystique remains strong.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting. In 2006, I bought a cue that was described as a Gus Szamboti that was previously owned by Ray Martin. The seller swore it was one of Ray's because he bought it from him. He was so confident that it was a Gus that he agreed to have Barry authenticate it and he assured me that Ray would provide a letter supporting that the cue was his at some time. Barry supported with his belief that the cue was built by his father, but said the cue cue was not made for Ray. The letter never arrived, but since I did not pay extra for the provenance, I was still very happy. On the chance that the cue might actually have been one of Ray's cues (nobody is going to care that it was one of mine), I PM'd Ray with the full story and asked if it was his. He denied previously owning it. If it had been, I would have sent him a few bucks for his effort. Several years later when I sold the cue, I did not relay the story to the new owner until after the sale was completed. It would be interesting to know how many cues have been sold as having been one of Ray's cue. Obviously, his mystique remains strong.

The search for the elusive Ray Martin Szamboti continues. Meanwhile it still resides in Ray's closet. :grin:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Hi Middle, can you offer free shipping on your auction?

Thats funny but not me selling the cue. I remember a famous player ordering a cue from Ernie Gutierrez because they had a relationship for someone else on the story that the player needed the cue quick. Sure enough in like 6 weeks the cue arrived and he delivered it to the new owner for a nice profit. Though the cue was made for him I doubt he ever hit a ball with the cue. Point is, stories can follow cues around and the person telling the story may be completely innocent.
My guess is, the seller believes it to be true. If he wanted to make something up why pick a player who is still alive? Say Joe Balsis or Crane or any of a zillion famous players. That is all I am saying.
I came back and edited my post I should not have used the players name.

Last edited: