UBL: Why So Little Discussion?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I watched a little of a semi-final and some of the final last night including the end where Mike Seigel handed over $40k to the runners up (a wild card team, btw) and $100k to the winning team. That's a lotta dough for an amateur event.

The format is interesting; lots of BIH opportunities for the lower cap players.

Where all the prize money came from is top-secret-ish and we'll have to keep an eye on how this league progresses. I can imagine there will be a lot of resistance from apa.

Guess we'll have to stay tuned.

What do you all think?

best,
brian kc

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a couple threads where various arguments about the money and the rules have been discussed.

Probably just lots of people taking a wait and see approach, combined with very little firsthand exposure since the league is so small.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Here is the facts about it for me personally.

Don't like how the handicap works with all the BIH's but if they going to continue with those payouts I might have to suck it up and play.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the facts about it for me personally.

Don't like how the handicap works with all the BIH's but if they going to continue with those payouts I might have to suck it up and play.

Get in there...the $s gotta come from somewhere.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Get in there...the $s gotta come from somewhere.

They kept saying investors. How long will investors keep putting that much in if they aren't making it back.

From what I heard during the Livestream is that this bonus tourney was just after 1 session. That was only for this session. From now on, the bonus tourney will be after 3 sessions, so 1 year worth of league, like most other leagues. Obviously if the league takes off like they are hopeing, there will be many more teams in the upcoming year, so it's going to be harder to most likely win that much.

They also waived fees to join this 1st session and the upcoming one, not sure what the fees will be when they start charging.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those BIH was a real tough spot to fade...I kind of enjoyed it. The money is extreme, and

if it keeps up we can see more in the future. If players do not get behind it, will be something

we talk about failing in the future. I do find it interesting that I have not heard more about it

on the forum.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a fan of any league or event that attempts to completely eliminate the gap between higher and lower skilled players. Partial handicaps are OK, as they allow the lesser skilled players to have a chance to win in any match, but leave it likely that the higher skilled players will have better records in the long run.

The United Billiard Leagues claims to use "a system that allows all people to compete on an equal level regardless of previous experience." Such a system would produce matches that are just coin flips, not true competition. A novice and a pro competing on "an equal level" is not a sports competition. Now, some people may enjoy participating in such a league as some form of entertainment. And some will join to try to win what amounts to a lottery. Have fun, but it's not for me.

As for the big money paid after that first session -- they are priming the pump.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I'm not a fan of any league or event that attempts to completely eliminate the gap between higher and lower skilled players. Partial handicaps are OK, as they allow the lesser skilled players to have a chance to win in any match, but leave it likely that the higher skilled players will have better records in the long run.

The United Billiard Leagues claims to use "a system that allows all people to compete on an equal level regardless of previous experience." Such a system would produce matches that are just coin flips, not true competition. A novice and a pro competing on "an equal level" is not a sports competition. Now, some people may enjoy participating in such a league as some form of entertainment. And some will join to try to win what amounts to a lottery. Have fun, but it's not for me.

As for the big money paid after that first session -- they are priming the pump.

watching the final match with the lady named Dani shooting for the team that won, it was a bit distressing to see a player with her skill having 3 Balls In Hand avail for her to use every game whenever she chose. The commentators at one point were saying she was a SL3 in another league (APA?) and they added that she didn't play like a 3 and so that brings up the distressing part for me. What always made leagues like APA so unappealing to me was the sandbagging so I'm wondering does UBL have some safeguard in place to keep sandbagging in check?

Again, I don't know the lady, Dani, and so she could have just been having an unusually good night. The commentators did also say, however, that she has a 10' snooker table at here house. :eek::wink:

I could see some frustration in her opponent's body language who, btw, was a high SL who was eligible for 0 Balls In Hand
best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Were the checks cashed?

lets wait until the checks clear the bank
jmho

UBL and the elephant in the room

FE024FE7-5538-4A2D-9D0A-4C480FCDAD4C.jpeg

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gaff game for sure kinda fits in today's views like the me too movement,, me too should have a handicap to win a big prize that I don't have to work hard for

darmoose

Shutin@urhole is OVERATED
Silver Member
watching the final match with the lady named Dani shooting for the team that won, it was a bit distressing to see a player with her skill having 3 Balls In Hand avail for her to use every game whenever she chose. The commentators at one point were saying she was a SL3 in another league (APA?) and they added that she didn't play like a 3 and so that brings up the distressing part for me. What always made leagues like APA so unappealing to me was the sandbagging so I'm wondering does UBL have some safeguard in place to keep sandbagging in check?

Again, I don't know the lady, Dani, and so she could have just been having an unusually good night. The commentators did also say, however, that she has a 10' snooker table at here house. :eek::wink:

I could see some frustration in her opponent's body language who, btw, was a high SL who was eligible for 0 Balls In Hand
best,
brian kc

Handicaps are calculated automatically, no subjectiveness whatsoever. Everyone starts a a 3. If you win two matches in a row you go down 1bih. If you lose two matches in a row you go up 1bih. You might try to lose a bit to raise your handicap, but that may keep you from winning the league session or qualifying for the final big money tournament.

They said that there were some who tried to game the system, and they ended up not qualifying for the final big money event. So, as you attempt to sandbag you are working against yourself and your team.

Sounds like a hard system to beat to me.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LJ lambasted me for having the audacity to ask where the money came from. Her response was, “Who cares?” Well, I do.

Yeah after all Mike and Pool in general have such a great track record. Money talks BS Walks as they say. If this thing doesn't show income soon, it will be gone faster than Bonus Ball. Count on it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah after all Mike and Pool in general have such a great track record. Money talks BS Walks as they say. If this thing doesn't show income soon, it will be gone faster than Bonus Ball. Count on it.

Shhhhhhh the short sighted greedy folks who only care about a payday and not any kind of future dont want to hear about your high and mighty reality and all of its implications.

You naysayer you. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given the reaction from people here and others around the web, I get the feeling they just want it to fail for whatever reasons they have. Maybe it's because they only think of Mike Sigel as being an associate of Kevin Tredau(sp?)