SVB versus Shaw score updates...Anybody?

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the updates John Barton, and others, very gracious of you. Reads like a great book.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Shane makes balls and has a perfect shot on the one. Puts a monster stroke on the two to go three rails to the three. Four is very tight position. Leaves himself very close to the four with the wrong angle for position on the five. Might play safe and freeze the cue to the six. Looks like he is playing the force follow three rails......GOD he played it perfectly.

98-93 Shane. Jayson looks a little wild compared to Shane's style.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Shane almost breaks dry but the two ball goes four rails into the corner. Shot on the one in the corner. Gets a little straight on the four, no problem he creates an angle with power draw to get in line for the five. Connect the dots from here. Came up slightly short on the eight and plays the inside reverse for positoin on the nine - Shane on the HILL.

99-93. SVB

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane almost breaks dry but the two ball goes four rails into the corner. Shot on the one in the corner. Gets a little straight on the four, no problem he creates an angle with power draw to get in line for the five. Connect the dots from here. Came up slightly short on the eight and plays the inside reverse for positoin on the nine - Shane on the HILL.

99-93. SVB

Thanks much JB great report

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Shane makes two balls on the break, shot on the one in the top right, like always :)

Slightly funny on the two but ok. No problem for Shane, dead in line.

Shane wins!

Great display of heart from Jayson AND from from Shane to hold it together when the pressure was applied.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't think this was going to be a match. Shaw hadn't look very good in the last couple of months. Glad to hear he gave Shane a match and it seems this brought the best out of Jason. Like a true pro Jason showed his true colors when he played another world class player. Way to go Jason and congrats to Shane.

A big thank you to John.

Al

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks John. I really appreciate this because I had to work.

How about Jason's display of heart?!? Wow.

Maybe now that SVB has shown some vulnerability and that he can once again be beat in this format, one of the KO's might show some gamble and step up to the plate. :D

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Many thanks for the updates.

Wine harvest time so I have no chance to watch this stuff but reading your updates was a good time.

Thanks for spending the effort.

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
im really hoping that this is put onto DVD. if anyone has any information at any time on that subject please PM me. thanks all!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My analysis of the match from 75:75 Shane.

The break. - Even Shane's "bad" break was better than Jayson's good one. Jayson broke dry so many times it was painful and when he did make a ball no one knew where the cue ball would be. Shane on the other hand made a ball almost every time on his breaks and the cue ball was very consistent. Shane also had a better break position, his was sending the one ball up to the upper right corner every time and Shaw was trygin to make the one in the side each time. My gut feelign is that Shane's break is worth like 1 or 2 games extra per 10 games played or someting like that.

Cue ball control - Shane's was more precise. While both of these players are great shot makers and both of them can obviously control the cue ball precisely I felt like Shane had the edge here having to rely less on his shotmaking ability. I felt like Jayson had to get him self out of trouble much more with tougher shots than he would have liked. That said Shane had a few shots where he lost position and if he reviews the match from 75 he might see which shot he had trouble with, easy shot but wrong cue ball speed. Even the greatest aren't perfect at everything. :)

Heart - Jayson all the way. I felt like Shane was careless in spots and didn't close the door when he could have. This of course is just a feeling as no one at my level can really second guess players of this caliber to determine why they missed "easy" shots. Heart kept Jayson in this match though IMO and experience and heart kept Shane in front the whole way even as Jayson came within a game or two several times. This is just my personal opinion but I think Shane needs to get some more of that heart back that he had back in the early 2000s. Where he was super hungry to take on anyone. I am sure he is still not scared to take on any match but I want to see him step up in class and take it to the Taiwanese, Filipinos, Chinese, Brits etc....take a bankroll and go over there until you are comfortable beating them on their turf, for the money and in tournaments.

All in all turned out to be a great match, glad I stumbled out of bed at the right time to be able to take advantage of the $10 special and catch the last 46 games. After the discusson of match length I think this should stand as another great example of why the race to 100 is the best test of skill and hear between two players that we have. It is the right blend of endurance and balancing out the rolls to let the difference in skills and perserverance be what decides the match.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My analysis of the match from 75:75 Shane. ...

John -- here are a few break stats to supplement your analysis of the final 44 games, starting when they returned from dinner with the score standing at 75 - 74, Shane ahead.

Van Boening broke 25 times, with the following results:
  • • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 14 (56%)
  • • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 2 (8%)
  • • Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 0 (0%)
  • • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 9 (36%)

Shaw broke 19 times, with the following results:
  • • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and won the game -- 4 (21%)
  • • Made at least one ball (and did not foul) and lost the game -- 5 (26%)
  • • Broke dry or fouled but won the game -- 4 (21%)
  • • Broke dry or fouled and lost the game -- 6 (32%)

Break-and-run games:
  • • Van Boening -- 13 out of 25 (52%), consisting of two 3-packs (one to open the session and one to close it), one 2-pack, and 5 singles.
  • • Shaw -- 3 out of 19 (16%), all singles.