shaft stain

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to darken a cue shaft to a very dark brown. What stain should I use that will not wear off and accept a wax or other sealer?

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Staining maple

I've never tried staining a shaft before but I know from refurbishing old gold crown aprons that maple is one of the hardest woods to get to accept stain..super tight grain especially on maple good enough for shafts.....good luck.....hope someone on here has tried this already...

Gordon Graham
Seattle
425-275-8255

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Cue makers forum

You might want to repost this in the Cue makers forum....those guys will know how to help you...

Gordon

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to darken a cue shaft to a very dark brown. What stain should I use that will not wear off and accept a wax or other sealer?

Why would you want this? Still trying to figure that out :thumbup:

The darkest shafts I have ever seen, were made out of really old mop handles. No joke. Belonged to an Anchorage player, and IIRC they were made by Jason/Albatross cues.
They appeared to be stained but werent.

Sans being able to stain the shaft, I would look into lake salvage and/or bowling alley wood shafts. They are usually darker than most shaft wood these days.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well.

It is already dark brown. I want to stain it darker because I want it darker to hide a couple of imperfections in an other wise great playing Lake Salvage shaft Pat Diviney gave me a heck of a deal on because of the imperfections.

It was originally for a break cue and the shaft still does double duty when I am on a bar box. I will text him for his opinion. I should of done that in the first place.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about all those shafts you see stained from blue chalk. Find some dark brown chalk and voila'.