JOSS handle section question...............

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over on FB there was a pic of a JOSS handle section made up of about 6 pieces of wood glued together. Was this done before coring to keep cue from warping? Thanks

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I had my Lucasi linen redone by a local cue maker thats what we found under the original wrap.
He said it was to make the cue play stiffer.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Shorter pieces are less likely to warp.
They'd only play stiffer if they are harder than maple.
They need to be really flush, if not they can buzz.
6 pieces are overkill to me.
2 to 3 pieces would be fine imo.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about lamination (e.g. flat stacked or like pie pieces)? Or just in multiple shorter sections. I guess if you're installing a wrap on top and have a good construction method to join them it doesn't really matter much. Why? Possibly to reduce warp or dry pieces faster or to use scraps of good wood that's too short or unattractive to use differently.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When I had my Lucasi linen redone by a local cue maker thats what we found under the original wrap.
He said it was to make the cue play stiffer.

That one is pie-shape laminated handle .
Done for stability as well.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pie shape handle will add stability and also stiffen the hit. Main component in my cues. Just my two cents worth :)

Mario

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over on FB there was a pic of a JOSS handle section made up of about 6 pieces of wood glued together. Was this done before coring to keep cue from warping? Thanks

Please show the pic.

He commonly did this after he started using his stepped core if I am understanding you correctly.