Does a Short Ferrule really make a differnce

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I see these low deflection shafts that have a short ferrule on it. I personally like the look of a long ferrule. Like Meucci shafts , but does the short ferrule really make that much difference. Does it help the shaft be more low deflection. A Cue maker told me he only uses short ferrules. Why ?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hello ,

I see these low deflection shafts that have a short ferrule on it. I personally like the look of a long ferrule. Like Meucci shafts , but does the short ferrule really make that much difference. Does it help the shaft be more low deflection. A Cue maker told me he only uses short ferrules. Why ?
Check with your doctor.
There is something seriously wrong with you.

Many moons ago, Mike Massey did an exhibition at my local hall.
He had a 1/4 long ferrule. It looked so odd to me.
He explained he liked it better and had less squirt.
He also had a conical shaft. He needed that stiffness in the middle for his insane stroke shots.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Hello ,

The Meucci ferrule you like is an illusion. It is very thin and drilled all the way through, it's really lite. The tip is glued on the end grain of the shaft. It is in fact almost like no ferrule at all.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hello ,

Once you get used to the short ferrule, if you go back to the long one it looks really odd. It's like, "What's that Hostess Twinkie doing on my shaft?".

What were we thinking? But if you ever get the yearning for a screw-off ferrule, please seek help. :wink:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you get used to the short ferrule, if you go back to the long one it looks really odd. It's like, "What's that Hostess Twinkie doing on my shaft?".

What were we thinking? But if you ever get the yearning for a screw-off ferrule, please seek help. :wink:

I heard that Tate. I did not know Meucci's was drilled all the way thru. I just think they look neater . But never had a short ferrule until I got my Dale Perry cue. He told me that is all he uses. I guess I am just used to the Meucci ferrules from seeing them for so long. I live in Meucci country. That was the popular cue here when I was growing up and playing in Pool halls .

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I heard that Tate. I did not know Meucci's was drilled all the way thru. I just think they look neater . But never had a short ferrule until I got my Dale Perry cue. He told me that is all he uses. I guess I am just used to the Meucci ferrules from seeing them for so long. I live in Meucci country. That was the popular cue here when I was growing up and playing in Pool halls .

Yeah, there has been a trend toward short ferrules. It was originally a weight thing but now I would say appearances too. The long ferrule belongs with those old wide neckties, LOL

Attachments

• ea3e874407b56109378e43f935c49269.jpg
    ea3e874407b56109378e43f935c49269.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best i ever played was with my Richard Black with those "oh so heavy" ivory ferrules. Back then we didn't know or care. I thought ivory looked cool, played fine and were REAL easy to keep clean.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best i ever played was with my Richard Black with those "oh so heavy" ivory ferrules. Back then we didn't know or care. I thought ivory looked cool, played fine and were REAL easy to keep clean.

Same here.

The best I ever played was with my Richard Black that he made for me in 1978. Of course, I was a couple years younger then.

Ebony 4-pointer with four veneers. Looked just like a Balabushka and was built with the same tapers. I had him make it at 21 ounces, with two 14mm shafts with 1" ivory ferrules.

Reactions: LWW

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never played with a short ferrule either. All I know about ferrules is I sure love this one. A great feel and stays super clean. I suppose it’s ivory, but not sure. I won this one on a Deano raffle a couple years ago.
7476305ce1053209463d5bc4c46d46f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went from using one inch (white) to 3/8 (black) with little adjustment required
the new ferrule wasn't a request, it was just what the cue came with
not sure the cue's performance is much better or worse as a result
but now that I'm ok with it, I'll probably stick with a short ferrule from here on out
for reasons described above, and why not..the color tho, I'm not sure about
but I can attest that a black ferrule is easier to keep clean ^_^

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Just try the MEUCCI PRO SHAFT, you won't be disappointed

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I think it's all what you get used to, and.. talk yourself into.

Lou Figueroa

middleofnowhere

Registered
tell all about short ferrels to the multitude of guys running hundreds of balls years back that knew nothing about this thing called squirt that makes you miss because your tip is too heavy.
they just knew that you aimed appropriately for the english you used. .

You are referring to straight pool. Deflection doesn't matter much as it is a close up game where you hit most shots soft. In fact, a front heavy cue is easier to play straight pool with many believe.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's all what you get used to, and.. talk yourself into.

Lou Figueroa

Lou , you could be right on the nail head. I have not had a chance to shoot with it as Covid has all my playing places down but plan to try it out and see what or how my game changes if any .

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 7 shafts, all with 1" ferrules and my favorite is my Ivory. I have 1 Westinghouse Micarta and 3 Juma's. Another is old McDermott and an old Mali, not sure of either's material. Two of the Juma's are Schmelke but I don't believe it's Juma. The other Juma is on a Pechauer shaft.
I don't realize much of a difference in deflection, prolly cause I ain't good enough. (APA 6 in 8-ball, 7 in 9-ball).

L.S. Dennis

I still likes the looks of the long ferrule, I remember Dorothy Wise’s ferrule was almost 3 inches long!