JB Custom Cases - which one would you get?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What would be your favorite JB case if you decided to do a custom order? Post a link from the gallery, what style, what color?

https://jbcases.com/casegallery.html

I have had and still have dozens of old collector cases, some even 100 years old. I'm a case nut. I've decided to order my first custom case with my name engraved on it. It's going to be this JB Case, called the Mars 1972, pics below. I've always admired the envelope cases. It's leather custom and hand tooled. I asked John how much. I was honestly expecting $800 to $1,000. it's less than 1/2 that. Under $500. This has got to be the best value in a custom leather case on the planet.

Attachments

• 1972mars-a1-f.jpg
    1972mars-a1-f.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 621
  • 1972mars-b-b (1).jpg
    1972mars-b-b (1).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 616
  • 1972mars-d.jpg
    1972mars-d.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I had a Mason, it was 2 X 4. John has many variations today, I made the mistake of selling. Apprently it has changed hand two or three more times.

I honestly could not think of any improvement to make it better.

https://jbcases.com/cases-for-sale-instock/leather-cases/leathermason.html

I would like another 2 X 4 Mason, I would order plain, no tooling, just a DARK Brown Color. Almost the darkest brown possible, but not so dark the personality of the leather was invisible.

JMHO:thumbup:

magnetardo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John makes great cases no doubt, but as far as the best value, I have to disagree. A Dennis Swift case in that style is half the price and handcrafted in the U.S.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a beautiful JB case and I don't think you could go wrong with this one. The Swift case is certainly less money and appears to be well constructed. There is definitely a difference in the overall appearance, the JB just has a feeling of sophistication about it that is not there on the Swift case. However, I'm sure like mant things in life that is just a matter of taste. The nice thing about the Swift case, IMO, is that it has tubes to hold the butts with an option for tubes for the shafts also. It seems tubes, if only for the butts, would add a degree of stiffness that may not otherwise be there.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That is a beautiful JB case and I don't think you could go wrong with this one. The Swift case is certainly less money and appears to be well constructed. There is definitely a difference in the overall appearance, the JB just has a feeling of sophistication about it that is not there on the Swift case. However, I'm sure like mant things in life that is just a matter of taste. The nice thing about the Swift case, IMO, is that it has tubes to hold the butts with an option for tubes for the shafts also. It seems tubes, if only for the butts, would add a degree of stiffness that may not otherwise be there.

I have some of Dennis' earliest cases, same with Jack's. Swift cases are great and a good value but just look at all the custom designs John has done. It's amazing the numerous styles that are offered.

Scrunge19

Registered
Those big leather cases are heavy as hell though, especially if you load them up with 3+ cues and a multitude of shafts. And playing in league has me going to all kinds of dive bars so I wouldn't want to bring a nice leather case to a crappy, smoke filled bar.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I had a Mason, it was 2 X 4. John has many variations today, I made the mistake of selling. Apprently it has changed hand two or three more times.

I honestly could not think of any improvement to make it better.

https://jbcases.com/cases-for-sale-instock/leather-cases/leathermason.html

I would like another 2 X 4 Mason, I would order plain, no tooling, just a DARK Brown Color. Almost the darkest brown possible, but not so dark the personality of the leather was invisible.

JMHO:thumbup:

Agree here, 100%.

My current case is a JB basket-weave Mason. It's a phenomenal case and I haven't had the desire for any other case since I bought the Mason.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I've got a 3x6 Mason with my nickname tooled into it, two pockets. Best case I've ever owned, very functional, top quality construction.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer simpler, less ‘girly’ cases. No ornamentation.

I don’t need ‘stuff’ in my case other than the cue. The lighter and simpler the better. ‘Fancy stuff’ is also more the target of theft. I don’t want to have to take my case with me to the bathroom

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I've had about 15-20 cases from John. All different kinds and layouts. A few leather and a few rugged and all in between. I change my mind so often it's crazy. I love/loved all of them but have narrowed it down to 5 cases that I've kept. If I ever need another case, it sure would always be a JB.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same idea about ordering a case from JB. It was after reading about John's recent run in with his ego.
All publicity is good publicity it does seem.
Anyway i looked at the customs and decided i didnt need another fancy case so i will get a Rugged 3x4 with bigger pockets. I did get one reply to an email to JB cases but replies have stopped so i will get one from a distributor that happens to be close by.
So Good Luck with the order.

Also i do like the simplicity of the Mason as well.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I had the same idea about ordering a case from JB. It was after reading about John's recent run in with his ego.
All publicity is good publicity it does seem.
Anyway i looked at the customs and decided i didnt need another fancy case so i will get a Rugged 3x4 with bigger pockets. I did get one reply to an email to JB cases but replies have stopped so i will get one from a distributor that happens to be close by.
So Good Luck with the order.

Also i do like the simplicity of the Mason as well.
Regardless what you think of his adventures/opinions, he makes ONE HELL of a case. Nobody today can touch it.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those big leather cases are heavy as hell though, especially if you load them up with 3+ cues and a multitude of shafts. And playing in league has me going to all kinds of dive bars so I wouldn't want to bring a nice leather case to a crappy, smoke filled bar.

Very good points- my leather 3 X 6 is very heavy when loaded. Also, places here in Fl. that allow smoking and have 9 foot tables- there are many like that- I will not bring in any of my good cues or cases in those places- IMO smoke odor and custom cues and cases do not mix very well.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Now I'm thinking about just going a little simpler. Do you guys like this left one better or the right one?

The one left is Traditions, the other is a Chas.

I am drawn to the Chas with the forward handle, super clean looking. All 3?

Attachments

• JB traditions-a-f.jpg
    JB traditions-a-f.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 210
  • jb chas4-a-f.jpg
    jb chas4-a-f.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I'm thinking about just going a little simpler. Do you guys like this one better?

I would use that more than the one in the first post, the one in first post is "prettier" but I like the simple elegance of this one way more.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I have a Molinari I take to league stuff. Don't care about the case but what's inside. This would be for tournaments.