OB Classic Plus Ferrule

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased a new OB Classic Plus that was taken down to 12.5 mm. I noticed the ferrule always looks somewhat dirty. On closer inspection I see the linen pattern is slightly raised so it does not polish off clean. It shows any dirt and especially chalk.

Do other classic plus owners have this problem? I have to assume it exists on other ferrules as well. To what extent would be how much linen fiber is exposed. I lean towards this being a design flaw or possibly a mfg flaw.

Would like some feed back from other owners. Have not discussed with OB yet but I imagine they will notice this thread. BTW the ferrule is polished, it appears the problem is unavoidable.

Will attach a pic if I can reduce it to an acceptable size.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I purchased my classic + about 6 months ago and had not ever really inspected the ferrule....having to use a magnifying glass, I see the linen effect and also what appears to be some hairline cracks, not the length of the ferrule but maybe 1/4......here and there if you know what I mean? I certainly like the shaft more than the 314-2 I have and I changed because of quality concerns of the predator....now what do we do?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It needs cleaning then sealing with thin super glue.
A few coats. Then re-polish.
It's a common problem with melamine these days .

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It needs cleaning then sealing with thin super glue.
A few coats. Then re-polish.
It's a common problem with melamine these days .

It won't clean up, its a poor design. It appears the linen is always exposed so polishing never gets rid of the dirt, chalk, whatever. Coating with super glue is a road I choose not to travel. If everyone tried that I think there would be new, other or more problems.

I understand the concept but I think the linen should be below the melamine or a similar concept. I suppose it would have to be manufactured for this type of use.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully one of the OB guys will see this thread and respond. I'm considering picking one of these up as I tried one and it hit great but I didn't really look over the ferrule carefully.

Does anyone know if it's possible that what is seen in that pic is due to taking the ferrule down to 12.5mm from the factory 12.75mm and not completely sealing it again?

To the OP...Was the ferrule like this in it's original size that is if you got to try it before it was taken down? Didn't know if this was customized before use.

BTW..the cleaning and sealing with thin CA works awesome. I've had some really messed up melamine on my cues that looked amazing after that and stayed that way after being coated.

Good shooting to you,

Kevin

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked for cleaning advise on the Classic + ferrule a few months back and got no replies.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394494

My ferrule looked the same as yours, always dirty and no cleaning fixed it. Oddly enough, my ferrule developed a defect where it appeared a layer of material peeled off. I sent the shaft in for repair and the new ferrule they installed has remained perfectly white.

The Captain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won't clean up, its a poor design. It appears the linen is always exposed so polishing never gets rid of the dirt, chalk, whatever. Coating with super glue is a road I choose not to travel. If everyone tried that I think there would be new, other or more problems.

I understand the concept but I think the linen should be below the melamine or a similar concept. I suppose it would have to be manufactured for this type of use.

The linen WAS below the surface until you resized it, thus revealing the linen ends. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it other than having a good reputable cue repair person change the ferrule for you.

RBC

Deceased

Rod,

I'm sorry that you've had an issue. I do see what your concern is, and it can be easily taken care of. I'll send you a PM with how we can get you taken care of.

As for the material, it is a Linen Melamine based material. Linen melamine does have a tendency to show some pitting on the surface from time to time. It's caused by the linen cloth suspended in the melamine resin. The linen cloth is what gives it it's strength.

We choose this material for it's strength, weight, and playing characteristics. There aren't any other materials that give the same advantages as the LBM (linen base melamine). We most certainly do "seal" the surface during the production of the shaft, but possibly it wasn't resealed properly when it was turned down from the original 12.75mm to 12.5mm. Either way, I would be happy to take care of it for you. Look for the PM shortly.

You can always give us a call at our main office number if you have any questions.
972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Last edited:
Rod,

I'm sorry that you've had an issue. I do see what your concern is, and it can be easily taken care of. I'll send you a PM with how we can get you taken care of.

As for the material, it is a Linen Melamine based material. Linen melamine does have a tendency to show some pitting on the surface from time to time. It's caused by the linen cloth suspended in the melamine resin. The linen cloth is what gives it it's strength.

We choose this material for it's strength, weight, and playing characteristics. There aren't any other materials that give the same advantages as the LBM (linen base melamine). We most certainly do "seal" the surface during the production of the shaft, but possibly it wasn't resealed properly when it was turned down from the original 12.75mm to 12.5mm. Either way, I would be happy to take care of it for you. Look for the PM shortly.

You can always give us a call at our main office number if you have any questions.
972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Classy move, Mr. Bunnell.

His post said it happened after having the shaft turned down, so it wouldn't point to OB having any quality control issues.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classy move, Mr. Bunnell.

His post said it happened after having the shaft turned down, so it wouldn't point to OB having any quality control issues.

I would think if they are offering a fix, and from reading Royce's post, that OB was the one who turned it down for the OP.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I purchased my classic + about 6 months ago and had not ever really inspected the ferrule....having to use a magnifying glass, I see the linen effect and also what appears to be some hairline cracks, not the length of the ferrule but maybe 1/4......here and there if you know what I mean? I certainly like the shaft more than the 314-2 I have and I changed because of quality concerns of the predator....now what do we do?

Hmmmm.. Oh i remember, Mezz!

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Rod,

972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Royce your a class act. Seeing you reply to posts like this with a positive attitude without a doubt makes me feel comfortable buying your product. I've never played with an OB but I have purchased one. It ended up being a present for a friend. In the very short future I'm going to put testing an OB on my short list and see how it plays

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand what the deal is.
The ferrule is a little dirty??????
That's what this post is about?
I have many many pool cues each and every one of them had a dirty ferrule....less of course I don't use them.
I also have a new OB + Classic that has some chalk on its ferrule.....but so what?
It has no effect on my game.
These things are supposed to be used.

Here's my OB + Classic......and I'm NOT even a LD guy.

Last edited:

The Captain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rod,

972-578-9100

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Yes... a COMPLETE class act from a class company! I your playing style is compatible with, or you prefer a LD shaft... This is the way to go! OB! I personally use a standard construction shaft for my preference and game, but a company that answers questions and offers generous solutions on a public forum, and not their own "reviews page" is ACES!

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Royce sent me a pm And I sent him an email. Thanks guys hopefully we can resolve this issue.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The linen WAS below the surface until you resized it, thus revealing the linen ends. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it other than having a good reputable cue repair person change the ferrule for you.

There is more to this than meets the eye and I did not know this could be an issue.
I have another cue with LM ferrules, no issue there & it is not stock size. I'm not sure your reasoning applies to all LM based ferrules.

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand what the deal is.
The ferrule is a little dirty??????
That's what this post is about?
I have many many pool cues each and every one of them had a dirty ferrule....less of course I don't use them.
I also have a new OB + Classic that has some chalk on its ferrule.....but so what?
It has no effect on my game.
These things are supposed to be used.

Here's my OB + Classic......and I'm NOT even a LD guy.

That shaft suffers from a serious case of DontKnowHowToUseACubeOfChalk syndrome.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
one of the first things I do with a new shaft with an unknown ferrule is switch it to a micarta ferrule. cue components has some great micarta right now. I don't play with production LD shafts so I'm not sure what the process would entail...does OB pre tap their melamine ferrules? seems like a very small flaw that can be fixed for the cost of a ferrule. no biggie