(FAQ) How much practice does it take to become an "A" player?

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Howdy Folks, here's another FAQ post from the Billiard Gods blog.

The best way to determine a player's skills (A, B, or C), is with BPI (Balls Per Inning) average. This is the average number of balls a player can make over a series of innings. Some innings may have zero balls pocketed - if there is no playable shot, or the player misses on the first ball. Other innings can be 4, 5, 6, 7 balls put into pockets.

To calculate BPI, add up the number of balls made over 10 innings, and divide by 10. That is the player's BPI. So, an "A" player would have a BPI average above 4.0. (A "C" player might have a BPI of 0.5.)

To get to the "A" playing level, you must commit time practicing. It helps if you are also a bit obsessive about playing the game. In other words, there needs to be a passion for improving.

Here's the link for the rest of the article:
http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-much-practice-take-become-player/

Have fun - shoot straight!!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Howdy Folks, here's another FAQ post from the Billiard Gods blog.

The best way to determine a player's skills (A, B, or C), is with BPI (Balls Per Inning) average. This is the average number of balls a player can make over a series of innings. Some innings may have zero balls pocketed - if there is no playable shot, or the player misses on the first ball. Other innings can be 4, 5, 6, 7 balls put into pockets.

To calculate BPI, add up the number of balls made over 10 innings, and divide by 10. That is the player's BPI. So, an "A" player would have a BPI average above 4.0. (A "C" player might have a BPI of 0.5.)

To get to the "A" playing level, you must commit time practicing. It helps if you are also a bit obsessive about playing the game. In other words, there needs to be a passion for improving.

Here's the link for the rest of the article:
http://www.billiardgods.com/gk-much-practice-take-become-player/

Have fun - shoot straight!!

I understand...

but that is not really a good indicator.

It's like Quarterbacks in Football. It's ALL about the wins.

I won the most run out award in every league that I played in.

But on a team you have team mates & the win is more important than going for run outs or number of balls pocketed per inning. So...

playing a two way 'defensive' shot or a safety at the right time is the correct thing to do.

I would not care if the numbers should me as a C- as long I'm helping my TEAM WIN.

Just my 2 cents.

PS 6 balls in one inning & 2 in the next for win is an average of 4 per inning. What does that mean? Or... 1 & a safety & 7 the next for the win is again 4 per inning. Or 2 with a safe, then 2 with a safe & then with a safe & then 2 for the win is 2 per inning but it's still a WIN.

Last edited: