My FARGO is 489. What does that mean?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there players that sandbag in league to purposely carry a low Fargo? Makes it easy to get into money matches to the unknown that think they're stealing.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there players that sandbag in league to purposely carry a low Fargo? Makes it easy to get into money matches to the unknown that think they're stealing.

If you cant tell someone is hiding their speed in the first set you have no business playing strangers.

Also thats why its called gambling.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing strangers 101:
*Take the amount your willing to lose
set it aside. It no longer belongs to you.
Best you can hope for is to win it back.
*Divide this amount by 5 (gives you time to evaluate your
situation.)
* You should be at least an "A" player.
* Be respectful
* Everyone must POST
*Play your "Full speed"
*Watch the "mans" footwork and patterns
*As truthfully as you can evaluate your first 2 sets
*Find a way to extract the mans cash( in a sportsmanlike way)
*Dont play @$$holes or dip$#!ts.
* Enjoy yourself

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing strangers 101:
*Take the amount your willing to lose
set it aside. It no longer belongs to you.
Best you can hope for is to win it back.
*Divide this amount by 5 (gives you time to evaluate your
situation.)
* You should be at least an "A" player.
* Be respectful
* Everyone must POST
*Play your "Full speed"
*Watch the "mans" footwork and patterns
*As truthfully as you can evaluate your first 2 sets
*Find a way to extract the mans cash( in a sportsmanlike way)
*Dont play @$$holes or dip$#!ts.
* Enjoy yourself

:thumbup: is all I got to say, well stated. Except second to last one, that will cut in half your possible games at many pool halls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Probably not specifically for gambling or tournaments later, but same as any other league. Most players are not "unknown" in their area and those that would play some player for money should be aware enough to check on them. A quick internet search will show you who cashed in what event. You see some guy winning a Predator tour stop in NY from an article on AZB, you have some idea of how they play.

And those players not aware of the higher end pool world would not know what Fargo is, they just plop their $10 at the bar table like they would against any ole' player.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup: is all I got to say, well stated. Except second to last one, that will cut in half your possible games at many pool halls.

Thats just my 101 course offered for free

If anyone would like my andvanced courses:

*playing @$$holes and dip$#!ts

*playing 9 ball with white guys in clean white shoes

* Playing one pocket vs. Old white guys

* Playing banks or one pocket with black guys

* Chess vs asians, russians, or indians( dot not feather)

* How to conduct yourself in a p.c. world

* Hustling bar room bikers

or many other offerings

Please feel free to p.m. me for pricing and details.

JC

Coos Cues
Here is some info that might help quantify where your 489 sits relative to others.

We have 144 players in our league with established Fargo ratings.
The high Fargo rating in our league is 681.
The low Fargo rating in our league is 67.
The average Fargo rating in our league is 443.3.
The median Fargo rating in our league is 450.

So a 489 would be definitely be above average in our league.
About 50th out of 144.
Hope that helps.

Chris

Our league the results are 82 players

615 is the high and 154 is the low

Average player is 418 and the median is 425.

489 would put you in 22nd place here out of the 82.

Sounds like they play slightly better in Santa Barbara than they do here.

JC

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league the results are 82 players

615 is the high and 154 is the low

Average player is 418 and the median is 425.

489 would put you in 22nd place here out of the 82.

Sounds like they play slightly better in Santa Barbara than they do here.

JC

FYI, Mike Page put out a chart before with ALL of the Fargo games and players included. The average of every player in Fargo is right about 550, which makes me pretty much exactly an average player in the group hehe.

So your average is quite a bit bellow all of Fargo players.

But you need to think about the fact that if a player is in Fargo they are likely to be actual players so an average player in Fargo is well above just an average pool player you run across in a random table in a bar or pool hall.

Our area USAPL league has several players over 600, and a few under that should be in the 600s. I think our highest is in the 640s.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is strictly wins and losses. But everyone is linked together like the 6 degrees of separation thing.

I saw on Facebook where they had a booth set up at one of the recent events that shows how you’re connected to SVB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting. Would like to see that just out of curiosity.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you cant tell someone is hiding their speed in the first set you have no business playing strangers.

Also thats why its called gambling.

From the days when I used to gamble, I used to say, "I can tell your speed from how you approach the table for your first shot, how you bridge, how you set up behind the ball, and how you rack." Most good gamblers might be able to hide one or two of these things, but I've never seen anyone hide them all for more than a game or two.

Low-level gamblers give themselves away by how they rack.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the days when I used to gamble, I used to say, "I can tell your speed from how you approach the table for your first shot, how you bridge, how you set up behind the ball, and how you rack." Most good gamblers might be able to hide one or two of these things, but I've never seen anyone hide them all for more than a game or two.

That might work for C players and below. The better they
play, some are very good at hiding alot of things.
If you play A speed and play " full speed" they really have to start showing you something to win.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That might work for C players and below. The better they
play, some are very good at hiding alot of things.
If you play A speed and play " full speed" they really have to start showing you something to win.

That may well be true. Though I learned the bulk of my game from a trio of hustlers back in South St. Louis 30 years ago, and it was from them that I learned how to spot hustlers.

And I've played some pretty high level players over the years, though not very many in the last 8 or 10 years. Scott Frost was among them back when the Northern Lounge was still a popular pool hangout in north Phoenix, probably more than ten years ago now. I never won a match against him, but I could steal a game now and again when I was deep in the zone. And/or if he was having an off night.

I remember the first time I saw Scott play at the Northern (my first time seeing him there, not his first time playing there I'm sure), and without knowing his name or anything about him, I knew he was one of the best players I'd ever seen after his second shot.

I wasn't playing him that night, so I had the golden opportunity to just observe both players without having to think about how I'd play the table. It wasn't a difficult shot, but it wasn't the shot I initially thought he'd take, and it was his decision to leave the CB where he did that told me that he was was planning at a very high level. And how easy it was for him to put it there.

But as I said earlier, most gamblers I've run across will give themselves away early in a match, in my limited experience.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Players might sandbag the last rack if it doesn’t matter to the winning the round. But that doesn’t add up aggressively enough to affect your Fargo. You could dump more aggressively but the team might be hip to that and not appreciate you as a teammate. Plus strong players mostly want to win. Its what made them good. How boring would it be showing up week in and week out dumping games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"I've never caught anyone hiding them all for more than a game or two."

:D