gambling

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once watched him play a match in Huntsville, Allabama against Johnny Tona. Mizerak finished the match with a score of minus 1 after only one inning at the table. Johnny had over a 100 ball run. This was around 1986.

I played with Johnny Tona at his own room in Huntsville in 1990. Tona was already about 65 years old then. He traveled for Brunswick in the 50s and early 60s courtesy of Mosconi- they were friends. Tona was a GREAT 14.1 player - a Sicilian - also played country western fiddle a a professional - how is that for a life's work- pool player and country western musician- and Sicilian to boot! He told me stories of him playing with Mizerak in the 80s Tona's standard gambling game in 14.1 was that he played you 100 to 40 points. I NEVER beat him at that game!

Sad story he told me- his wife hustled HIM out of his own house when she hooked up with a Real Estate broker and they sold the house from under him via title scheme- he lost everything in 1988- he ended up selling his Balabushka that Irving Crane had made for him by George for $5,000 in 1988- needed the money- played with a Falcon cue after that, Johnny played in the 1989 US OPEN 14.1 in Chicago- that is where I met him. Real nice guy- would gamble big 9 ball as well in his home room in the 1980s.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know Steve is mainly known for his tournaments and exhibitions but Im sure in his younger days he was a big gambler....Lets hear some of those stories.
________
silversurfer reviews

I saw Steve gamble during the height of the days at West End Billiards in Elizabeth, NJ during the 1980's and 1990's. He wasn't always the winner and I never saw him in very high stake games.

Country told me that he beat Steve in One-Pocket and Blackjack.
Country got weight in One Pocket (don't remember the numbers).
Playing Blackjack, Country was the house and Steve lost $1500 in one session and quit.

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dead eye Dick busted Steve.

Then let him take a loan out on his Balabushka for a bus ticket. Weeks later Steve came back for the Cue. He said I can't believe you aren't keeping the Cue. Dick said What the F would I want that thing for? Hits like crap
Willie told Steve whatever you do, do not play that man straight. He forgot about nineball I guess.
Steve had a gamblers heart. But you have to ask when you can play like that! Batter up.
Nick :)

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone at home wanted to stake him

Steve did in fact gamble but largely for other peoples money. He had a partner in the Four Seasons pool room in Metuchen N.J. named Goose. Goose was well off and staked Steve anytime he wanted to play. Most of the people in that area didn't really want any part of Steve. He was indeed a truly GREAT player.
On occasion he would dabble with Allen Hopkins and Allen held his own a lot of the time. I'm sure it wasn't a large amount of money but it kept them both sharp. This was in the early eighties at the time I hung out in that poolroom even though it was quite a drive from my house.
On a week when there was a worlds straight pool tournament in New York being held
you could see a whose who of players in Steves Pool room. He would match up with a few of the guys and if by chance a good player came in that didn't know them he might end up gambling with a Mike Sigel or the like.
One of the memorable games there was when Hawaiian Brian came to town. Steve tried to give him the 7 in nineball and for most of the day Steve was ahead. Eventually Brian got even at the end of the day.
Another memorable game I remember was Steve in the Rack, a poolroom in Detroit. Paul Mottey and I were friends with Steve and we egged him on to play Buddy Hall a set for about a thousand. Steve ended up winning a close match.
That amount was probably an exception for Steve, but he did enjoy playing for money.

Last edited:

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to apologize to Jay Helfert for my being abrasive in response to the comments he made
about Steve Mizerak. I thought I was being defensive for Steve's memory but I see that I didn't really understand how he meant it. I don't really know you and I've been told by my friend that I was an ass and you are a really nice guy.
Sorry Jay.
Bill Hendrixson